Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bdagent Hangs Up On Shutdown

Options
John Michigan
edited May 2008 in Malware talk

Hi all,

After Cris solved my last problem I have had a week's trouble-free operation. Now I have another problem on my BDIS 2008 with XP Home.

Firstly the computer has slowed down significantly when I use Windows Explorer. But the main issue is when I try to shutdown. All the icons are still on screen and then i get a pop-up that says: " BDAgent.exe is not responding, Click here to end now." No amount of clicking or stopping on Task Manager will shut the PC down. The only way I can shutdown is to use the shutdown button for a few seconds. This happens if I try RESTART too.

I did install Spysweeper, but later uninstalled it and no change either.

I tried uninstalling BD and downloading again, but no change.

I have read in another part of the forum on 8 April 2008 "paschacla" had the same problem, but it was unresolved. There was some suggestion that the problem could be solved by downloading Windows Installer 3.1, but that was not resolved either.

Any ideas guys???

At my wits end.

John

crysty2k5's EDIT: Deleted double topic !

Comments

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Did you modify the registry key for autoshutdown applications ?!

• Did you modify the registry key for autoshutdown applications ?!

No. I am terrified of trying anything with the Registry without advice. Especially deletions. Is this what I should do? And if Yes, then please tell me what to do in words of one syllable.

I did uninstall BD and when I reinstalled, it asked me to go through basic scans whish included the registry cleanup. When i did this the problem disappeared. Then when I surfed the net it reappeared. I have a feeling that it reappears when I log on to my web mail. If I go straight to Outlook express, then all seems OK. What is it that webmail can possibly induce into the registry that is causing this hangup??

I also noticed that when I look into C: Windows there are about 85 items in blue ****** such as "$NtUninstallKB931784$". they are all similar xcept that the KB number is different. What is this about??

Any suggestions?

thanks for your prompt reply crysty2k5.

John

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited May 2008
    Options

The $NtUninstallKB****$ folders are Windows small back-up to every update !

What level of Service Pack do you have on XP ?! (0/1/2/3)

• John Michigan
    edited June 2008
    Options
    The $NtUninstallKB****$ folders are Windows small back-up to every update !

What level of Service Pack do you have on XP ?! (0/1/2/3)

Thanks for the advice of the blue stuff. I actually meant to say that i have several hundred of these blue items in sys 32.

I have SP2 and all automatic downloads. I did not download SP3 as it appears to be for networks and professionals.

More tests from me has established that it is BD's deletion of IE temp files that seems to cure the prob. Not the cleanup of the Registry.

Can I help with Combofix or HJT scans?

Thanks,

John

Thanks for the advice of the blue stuff. I actually meant to say that i have several hundred of these blue items in sys 32.

I have SP2 and all automatic downloads. I did not download SP3 as it appears to be for networks and professionals.

More tests from me has established that it is BD's deletion of IE temp files that seems to cure the prob. Not the cleanup of the Registry.

Can I help with Combofix or HJT scans?

Thanks,

John

Another thing I have noticed.

I get BD to delete all IE temp files. Then I log on to IE. Then I get BD to delete IE temps and I see that I have 145 files within the time of about 1 minute.

Is this normal??

John

crysty2k5's EDIT: post merged

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited June 2008
    Options

You can use ATF Cleaner for temp files !

http://www.atribune.org/index.php?option=c...5&Itemid=25

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program. Close all you browsers !

Under Main choose: Select All

Click the Empty Selected button

Click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All

Click the Empty Selected button.

Click Opera at the top and choose: Select All

;)

• You can use ATF Cleaner for temp files !

http://www.atribune.org/index.php?option=c...5&Itemid=25

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program. Close all you browsers !

Under Main choose: Select All

Click the Empty Selected button

Click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All

Click Opera at the top and choose: Select All

;)

Hi crysty2k5,

I did as you suggested and all seems to be working fine now. ATF seems to have done the trick. I just hope it continues to work this good for ever.

Thanks a bundle for your help and I really hope I do not need your assistance again.

Although all you guys do this for nothing, I have the greatest respect and hope your dedication will gain you recognition and eventual riches.

All the best and thanks for your asistance.

John

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

In the future, if you have problems with this, come back here ! ;)

• John Michigan
    edited June 2008
    Options
    In the future, if you have problems with this, come back here ! ;)

Sorry crysty2k5,

I still have this problem. When I sent the last message that it was working fine, I left the PC switched on with no programs running. Not IE, not Outlook express, nothing. I came back half an hor later and the pc had frozen. Turned off with the main switch and all worked OK for a while and then froze again.

Why does it always freeze with the message that the BD Switch Agent is not responding? What is this switch agent?

Thanks

John.

Sorry crysty2k5,

I still have this problem. When I sent the last message that it was working fine, I left the PC switched on with no programs running. Not IE, not Outlook express, nothing. I came back half an hor later and the pc had frozen. Turned off with the main switch and all worked OK for a while and then froze again.

Why does it always freeze with the message that the BD Switch Agent is not responding? What is this switch agent?

Thanks

John.

Now, when I stop with the OFF switch, and then restart, everything works OK for some time maybe 30 minutes, and then it freezes up. Now it does not show a POP-up saying BD Agent is not responding. There is no message. But nothing works. I have to use the OFF switch.

What the H... is going on??

John

crysty2k5's EDIT: posts merged

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited June 2008
    Options

After your last message, i think the error is not caused by BD !

Download Ultimate Boot CD ( http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Ulti...nload-5992.html ), burn it and boot from it to run some memory & other tests !

Maybe is a hardware problem ! :(

• After your last message, i think the error is not caused by BD !

Download Ultimate Boot CD ( http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Ulti...nload-5992.html ), burn it and boot from it to run some memory & other tests !

Maybe is a hardware problem ! :(

I think I did not get the error correctly diagnosed.

When the freeze starts, I cannot open any files or go to IE or the internet. If I try to shutdown normally, then I get the message in two forms:

" BDAgent.exe is not responding"

or "BD switch Agent is not responding"

If I try to shutdown normally again, then I get no popups about BDAgent. However many times I try to shutdown normally now there are no popups. Just frozen. I can go to Start - and shutdown normally, but nothing happens.

Should I still do the Download of Ultimate Boot?????

thanks

John

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Yes !

Run some tests ! ;)

• Yes !

Run some tests ! ;)

Hi Crysty2k5,

Yesterday I tried 5 times to download Ultimate Boot CD and each time the download got as far as about 13 Mb and aborted. All the time the speed was getting slower and slower. On test 5 I used ATF cleaner but it still caused the hangup on the download. On test 6 I used ATF as soon as I booted up and then all seemed to be OK. I downloaded the Boot CD and burned it.

Then I downloaded a bit torrent film durig the night. I have used the PC all day today doing all the normal operations. I shitdown twice via REstart and all worked OK. The speed is as fast as it has been in the past.

I know that as soon as I say all is OK the ###### thing will freeze soon after.

So My plan is to carry on working with it as it is. If it freezes again, I will use the boot CD.

Do you advise that I use the boot CD anyway? And if YES, then how do I use it. Just switch on the PC and insert the CD?? or is ther another way to load the boot CD?

thanks a bundle,

John