Search Advisor not working on any browser

You know, this search advisor (traffic) inside the browser is not working. Equal what firefox version we used.

I do not know if it has to do with your latest product update. Using BD Total Security 2019.

When we reboot our computers (it tells us to reboot the PC), the search advisor will not work anymore. Fun fact: if we download it from inside the browser add ons, this BD advisor works (traffic light it is called).

https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/search/?q=bitdefender traffic light&platform=WINNT&appver=66.0

Regards,

DI

Tagged:

Comments

• SebastianDI
    edited February 2019

PS to all of you, that have same problem;

Turn off the advisor inside your BD. As long its not fixed. And use the plugin link i gave u.

The browser even flows better now. ;=)

1) online security

2) disable search advisor

Enjoy.

• I'm having this issue too since yesterday's update

Encrypted web scan do not work either which might be the cause why search advisor doesn't work (Tested on Chrome and Firefox. Edge seems to work)

• same for me: Chrome and Firefox!

Windows 11 Pro - 11th Gen Intel Core i9-11900KF @3,50 GHz, 128.0 GB RAM

• Indeed the latest update from BitDefender Total Security 2019 has broken the Search Advisor icons in FireFox and Chrome. SMH

Using Bitdefender Total Security. Paying BD customer since 2012

• BD needs to test themselves before putting users through so much. BD needs to trust it's loyal customers of many years, many of whom work in IT and Systems Administration themselves.

Fortunately I was smart enough to know to hit the Chat Transcript button before the BD live chat support agent abruptly closed the chat.

Here's the transcript below (names removed for security of course) , and watch how it goes from them not knowing about the issue and asking me to jump through hoops, to suddenly after all that typing it becomes a known issue that they're working on...

Hopefully this will save other people a lot of wasted time....

----------------

Chat Transcript

12:04:28 PM [Customer] Hello?

12:05:04 PM [[BD Support]]

Hello, my name is [BD Support], how can I assist you?

12:05:11 PM [Customer] the latest update from BitDefender Total Security 2019 has broken the Search Advisor icons in FireFox and Chrome

12:06:05 PM [Customer] I've confirmed this on all systems and also with friends / family / clients whom I've recommended BD to

12:06:49 PM [[BD Support]]

So, Search advisor is not working anymore? It's not showing the green ticks?

12:07:22 PM [Customer] Running update again and rebooting again does nothing to solve it. Search Advisor is not showing the green icons next to links since yesterday's update

12:07:51 PM [Customer] Other users are beginning to report it in your support forums as well, in threads like this one - /index.php?/topic/80453-search-advisor-not-working-in-firefox/" rel="">https://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?/topic/80453-search-advisor-not-working-in-firefox/

12:08:56 PM [Customer] I've been using BD TS for over 6 years now and own 10 licenses. I work in IT and make sure that all my systems are updated every day.

12:09:00 PM [[BD Support]]

This happens with the google search engine or with all the search engines?

12:09:38 PM [Customer] All search engines

12:09:46 PM [Customer] including Bing

12:10:21 PM [Customer] And of course I know enough to make sure that chrome://flags Quic is disabled ;-)

12:11:07 PM [[BD Support]]

Could you please provide me with your system specifications? To easily pull them up, please press the Windows button + R on your keyboard. A Run box will appear, type "msinfo32", without the quotes. From that window, please provide me with the OS Name, Processor, Installed Physical Memory and System Type, thank you.

12:11:26 PM [Customer] Still works in MS Edge, because Edge has it's own plugin for it, but definitely broken in Chrome and FireFox

12:12:21 PM [Customer] There's no need for that - I run high-end Win 10 Pro systems, 12GB RAM, Core i7 CPUs, SSD's

12:12:51 PM [Customer] And of course the latest version of Windows is always updated. I run it manually every day to make sure, on all systems

12:14:07 PM [Customer] MS Windows 10 Pro , x64 based PC

12:14:55 PM [Customer] This is not an isolated issue. I'm sure your forums will be full of these reports from other BD TS 2019 users today

12:16:02 PM [Customer] Very simple - yesterday Search Advisor icons were there. Today we run BD update and it says reboot is required, we reboot, and bam... no more Search Advisor icons

12:16:25 PM [Customer] Clearly a bug in the update BD released yesterday

12:17:01 PM [Customer] I've got to go get back to work now, but now you know and you can have your devs address the issue / release an update with a fix

12:17:08 PM [Customer] Thank you for your time

12:17:13 PM [[BD Support]]

My colleagues from the second level of support would need to investigate this concern. After we end the chat session, I will send you an email with a diagnosis tool that will gather some information from your computer. The info will help our senior technicians in solving the reported issue. Please attach the required logs in your reply as instructed in the email. Our engineers will analyze the data collected and they will contact you back via email with a resolution in the shortest time possible.

12:18:32 PM [[BD Support]]

This will give us more insight on this situation

12:19:00 PM [Customer] In the many years we've been using BD, we know when a release has a bug by now... how about you guys just test it yourself on Win 10 Pro with latest BD TS 2019 and latest FireFox / Chrome? Are your devs unable to test your own product?

12:19:20 PM [Customer] I have to go now. I have to get to work!

12:19:51 PM [Customer] We all know it's a problem with latest BD TS, so kindly do your own testing and fix it please. Thank you,

12:20:05 PM [Customer] Have a good day / night ahead.

12:21:40 PM [[BD Support]]

I have informed our upper level

12:21:47 PM [Customer] Thank you

12:21:50 PM [[BD Support]]

This is a known issue and we are currently working on it

12:22:05 PM [[BD Support]]

Search Advisor has been affected, but we are working on a fix

12:22:10 PM [Customer] Good to know!

12:22:57 PM [[BD Support]]

You could try another manual update and see if the issue is fixed

12:23:03 PM [[BD Support]]

And reboot after that

12:23:33 PM [Customer] As I mentioned earlier in this chat, I've already tried that on all systems. But I will try it again in case they suddenly just fixed it in the past 5 minutes.

12:24:05 PM [Customer] I literally just did exactly that on all systems just 10 minutes before I came here to alert you.

12:24:53 PM [Customer] As I said, I have to go now, late for work. Have a good day, and thank you. Bye.

12:25:13 PM [[BD Support]]

THen you do not need to do it again now

12:25:20 PM [[BD Support]]

ALright

12:25:23 PM [[BD Support]]

Thank you for choosing Bitdefender Chat Support! Do not hesitate to contact us if you need further assistance, as we are here 24/7. Have a great day!

• Hey all,

Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2018. Search Advisor is not working on any of my browsers.  Google Chrome, Firefox or Edge.  It worked fine yesterday. I checked to make sure that Search Advisor is toggled "ON".  I have 162 days left on my license. I also verified that QUIC protocol in Google Chrome has been disabled but as this problem is across all browsers, that should not be in play here. 

I have cycled power on the computer and updates are current on Bitdefender.  Any ideas?  I know it is not a browser issue as this problem is across all of my browsers.  Should I uninstall and reinstall Bitdefender Antivirus?  

Thanks in advance! 

• Update.....

I downloaded the custom Bitdefender uninstall tool from Bitdefender.  I then uninstalled and reinstalled Antivirus Plus 2019. 

The SEARCH ADVISOR is now working again.  No idea exactly what happened, but the reinstall resolved it.  All good.  Thanks.   

• tomwalker05
    edited February 2019

Okay, another update.  SEARCH ADVISOR worked on all browsers for about 3 hours after I uninstalled and reinstalled Bitdefender Antivirus Plus.  Then it stopped working on all browsers.  The only thing I did on Bitdefender was to run a full scan.  All other settings were left untouched.

And the plot thickens again.  Late in the day, I installed the big Windows 10 feature update 1809.  After that update was installed, SEARCH ADVISOR now works in Microsoft Edge BUT ONLY ON THE FIRST PAGE, NOT SUBSEQUENT PAGES, but does not work at all in Firefox or Google Chrome!

Confusing and frustrating!  If anybody has any ideas on how I can get SEARCH ADVISOR to work consistently on Chrome and Firefox, I'd be grateful to hear them.  

Thanks......

• Hello

I don't find Search Advisor in Bitdefender 2019

• Have same problem with Chrome.  Works fine in Edge

Total Security 23.0.16.72

• 22 hours ago, Pierre771 said:

Hello

I don't find Search Advisor in Bitdefender 2019

1. Show Bitdefender

2. Click on Protection

3. Click Settings on Online Threat Prevention

4. Enable/Disable Search Advisor.

• My Search Advisor on BD 2019 also does not work. I'm waiting for a Bitdefender solution

• Hello,

Indeed, Search Advisor is not currently working in Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox since we are improving its services. Unfortunately, we don't have an ETA on when this feature will be back available, however, for the time being, we recommend you to install Traffic Light on your browsers from here: https://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/trafficlight.html.

Thank you for understanding.

• On 2/20/2019 at 5:54 PM, adrianh said:

1. Show Bitdefender

2. Click on Protection

3. Click Settings on Online Threat Prevention

4. Enable/Disable Search Advisor.

Thanks !

• Thank you! Andrei for responding, that's what I did I added the TrafficLight extension in chrome and firefox

• On 2/21/2019 at 7:26 PM, Andrei M. said:

Hello,

Indeed, Search Advisor is not currently working in Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox since we are improving its services. Unfortunately, we don't have an ETA on when this feature will be back available, however, for the time being, we recommend you to install Traffic Light on your browsers from here: https://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/trafficlight.html.

Bitdefender is famous for silently update those components, and there's no release note. Please inform the user when you're ready to when it available. Through the forum or social media channel. 

• Hello,

Actually I think not only the green (or red) icons in Safe Search are not working in Chrome/Firefox, but even the real anti-phishing is not active any more in those browsers..

I checked AMTSO's phishing website check and Bitdefender is unable to identify it as a phishing (test) page...

If this is really the case then I agree with Hansoll and at least in some big announcement on this user forum it should be made clear that phishing functionality is not working at the moment and that users are in danger, and should for time being install the Traficlight add-on!

• I had over seen this topic before posting one of the likes and was warned and pointed in the direction of using the search function I have downloaded the extension and seems to be a working work around thanks :) 

Screenshot (61).png

• SebastianDI
    edited March 2019

On 2/21/2019 at 11:26 AM, Andrei M. said:

Hello,

May i get a job in your job or something? Me as u? So i can help people and i get a job? Why you "programmers" do always such horrible fails? I posted a solution. I am a good guy, not a bad guy. **** up all, my club gonna lose gainst Tuntenham with their money and you here do not post, that your bug has been solved. You are a liar, u lie to other people. Your solution can easily get done with a few work. But the word "WORK" makes u run away like the aliens with their UFOS fly away from earth.

The "DI" way is:

Turn off search advisor by BD Software intalled on your computer,

Activate Traffic BD inside your firefox.

But you all from BD are such noobs. How you can be so poor not solving the little problem within a BROWSER in 2 days? IFFFFFFFFFFFFF i was your boss, you all would get fired.

Andrej, always being the mouse, running away from the trouble. What does it make so hard, solving a problem with a browser? WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTT Marco Reus is the holy grail - But not the people from BD - well most of them. Matthias Sammer, if he would be your BOSS, you all would have fire in the popo.

AND WHY GERMANS HAVE TO SOLVE BUGS FOR NOTHING ALWAYS.

• SebastianDI
    edited March 2019

i needed to be rude, so dont send me again anything bout being rude.... IT WAS YOUR CAUSE. I was trying to HELP.

• SebastianDI
    edited March 2019

On 2/17/2019 at 9:08 PM, tomwalker05 said:

Update.....

I downloaded the custom Bitdefender uninstall tool from Bitdefender.  I then uninstalled and reinstalled Antivirus Plus 2019. 

The SEARCH ADVISOR is now working again.  No idea exactly what happened, but the reinstall resolved it.  All good.  Thanks.   

Dude, its bout Multi device protection. If yours work, applause. Here not. I talk about the premium stuff. LOL premium.

• SebastianDI
    edited March 2019

On 2/9/2019 at 1:49 PM, AnotherDave said:

BD needs to test themselves before putting users through so much. BD needs to trust it's loyal customers of many years, many of whom work in IT and Systems Administration themselves.

Fortunately I was smart enough to know to hit the Chat Transcript button before the BD live chat support agent abruptly closed the chat.

Here's the transcript below (names removed for security of course) , and watch how it goes from them not knowing about the issue and asking me to jump through hoops, to suddenly after all that typing it becomes a known issue that they're working on...

Hopefully this will save other people a lot of wasted time....

----------------

Chat Transcript

12:04:28 PM [Customer] Hello?

12:05:04 PM [[BD Support]]

Hello, my name is [BD Support], how can I assist you?

12:05:11 PM [Customer] the latest update from BitDefender Total Security 2019 has broken the Search Advisor icons in FireFox and Chrome

12:06:05 PM [Customer] I've confirmed this on all systems and also with friends / family / clients whom I've recommended BD to

12:06:49 PM [[BD Support]]

So, Search advisor is not working anymore? It's not showing the green ticks?

12:07:22 PM [Customer] Running update again and rebooting again does nothing to solve it. Search Advisor is not showing the green icons next to links since yesterday's update

12:07:51 PM [Customer] Other users are beginning to report it in your support forums as well, in threads like this one - /index.php?/topic/80453-search-advisor-not-working-in-firefox/" rel="">https://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?/topic/80453-search-advisor-not-working-in-firefox/

12:08:56 PM [Customer] I've been using BD TS for over 6 years now and own 10 licenses. I work in IT and make sure that all my systems are updated every day.

12:09:00 PM [[BD Support]]

This happens with the google search engine or with all the search engines?

12:09:38 PM [Customer] All search engines

12:09:46 PM [Customer] including Bing

12:10:21 PM [Customer] And of course I know enough to make sure that chrome://flags Quic is disabled ;-)

12:11:07 PM [[BD Support]]

Could you please provide me with your system specifications? To easily pull them up, please press the Windows button + R on your keyboard. A Run box will appear, type "msinfo32", without the quotes. From that window, please provide me with the OS Name, Processor, Installed Physical Memory and System Type, thank you.

12:11:26 PM [Customer] Still works in MS Edge, because Edge has it's own plugin for it, but definitely broken in Chrome and FireFox

12:12:21 PM [Customer] There's no need for that - I run high-end Win 10 Pro systems, 12GB RAM, Core i7 CPUs, SSD's

12:12:51 PM [Customer] And of course the latest version of Windows is always updated. I run it manually every day to make sure, on all systems

12:14:07 PM [Customer] MS Windows 10 Pro , x64 based PC

12:14:55 PM [Customer] This is not an isolated issue. I'm sure your forums will be full of these reports from other BD TS 2019 users today

12:16:02 PM [Customer] Very simple - yesterday Search Advisor icons were there. Today we run BD update and it says reboot is required, we reboot, and bam... no more Search Advisor icons

12:16:25 PM [Customer] Clearly a bug in the update BD released yesterday

12:17:01 PM [Customer] I've got to go get back to work now, but now you know and you can have your devs address the issue / release an update with a fix

12:17:08 PM [Customer] Thank you for your time

12:17:13 PM [[BD Support]]

My colleagues from the second level of support would need to investigate this concern. After we end the chat session, I will send you an email with a diagnosis tool that will gather some information from your computer. The info will help our senior technicians in solving the reported issue. Please attach the required logs in your reply as instructed in the email. Our engineers will analyze the data collected and they will contact you back via email with a resolution in the shortest time possible.

12:18:32 PM [[BD Support]]

This will give us more insight on this situation

12:19:00 PM [Customer] In the many years we've been using BD, we know when a release has a bug by now... how about you guys just test it yourself on Win 10 Pro with latest BD TS 2019 and latest FireFox / Chrome? Are your devs unable to test your own product?

12:19:20 PM [Customer] I have to go now. I have to get to work!

12:19:51 PM [Customer] We all know it's a problem with latest BD TS, so kindly do your own testing and fix it please. Thank you,

12:20:05 PM [Customer] Have a good day / night ahead.

12:21:40 PM [[BD Support]]

I have informed our upper level

12:21:47 PM [Customer] Thank you

12:21:50 PM [[BD Support]]

This is a known issue and we are currently working on it

12:22:05 PM [[BD Support]]

Search Advisor has been affected, but we are working on a fix

12:22:10 PM [Customer] Good to know!

12:22:57 PM [[BD Support]]

You could try another manual update and see if the issue is fixed

12:23:03 PM [[BD Support]]

And reboot after that

12:23:33 PM [Customer] As I mentioned earlier in this chat, I've already tried that on all systems. But I will try it again in case they suddenly just fixed it in the past 5 minutes.

12:24:05 PM [Customer] I literally just did exactly that on all systems just 10 minutes before I came here to alert you.

12:24:53 PM [Customer] As I said, I have to go now, late for work. Have a good day, and thank you. Bye.

12:25:13 PM [[BD Support]]

THen you do not need to do it again now

12:25:20 PM [[BD Support]]

ALright

12:25:23 PM [[BD Support]]

Thank you for choosing Bitdefender Chat Support! Do not hesitate to contact us if you need further assistance, as we are here 24/7. Have a great day!

LOL what does your event log bring? This is hilarious. Always its me to show them their fails. I wont work for this company. i'd rather stay unemployed than working for Bitdefender. They hired too many noobs. Quality control in their company is useless.

• On 2/22/2019 at 5:28 PM, Pierre771 said:

Thanks !

He did my clue.

• SebastianDI
    edited March 2019

LOL the customer service at BD is hilarious. They should only use the code from the search advisor from firefox traffic plug-in to solve the problem. But they do not. Every idiot can use the plug-in from firefox plug-in, this search advisor called "traffic lights".

• SebastianDI
    edited March 2019

On 2/21/2019 at 3:36 AM, ciasoft said:

My Search Advisor on BD 2019 also does not work. I'm waiting for a Bitdefender solution

This works. Turn off the advisor inside your software, go to firefox, use the traffic lights plug-in from them to get protected. It works. And this happened many times since the year 2015, since i use BD software. This is not the first time they did PIEP with the firefox browser. Well this time the searchadvisor didnt even work with EDGE.....so what do we need to think now bout BD. Tell me. Shell we do 3 monkeys there only to check if this advisor works? How many bananas we should pay? Anyways i solved the problem. I gonna watch Borussia Dortmund now. And Bitdefender, get a better customer service, PLEASE. I work like a maschin. Them not.

• Hello,

Our development team is still working on a fix. Sometimes finding a fix may take longer than expected, as we want to make sure that there will not be any issues.

• On 3/4/2019 at 6:49 AM, hunga said:

Hello,

Actually I think not only the green (or red) icons in Safe Search are not working in Chrome/Firefox, but even the real anti-phishing is not active any more in those browsers..

I checked AMTSO's phishing website check and Bitdefender is unable to identify it as a phishing (test) page...

If this is really the case then I agree with Hansoll and at least in some big announcement on this user forum it should be made clear that phishing functionality is not working at the moment and that users are in danger, and should for time being install the Traficlight add-on!

Good catch on the fact that BD Total Security 2019 latest version is not catching phishing attempts / not blocking phishing sites.

Running the simple test at https://www.amtso.org/check-desktop-phishing-page/ shows the test / failure results as in the screenshot attached.

If you can read this page, it indicates either:

• Your Anti-Malware solution is not (yet) supporting this Feature Settings Check

or

• Your Anti-Malware solution’s Anti-Phishing feature is not enabled or misconfigured.

bd_total_security_phishing_protection_not_working.png

• PS - Yes, installing Traffic Light (in both Chrome and FireFox) from https://www.amtso.org/feature-settings-check-phishing-page/

Does patch the issues of the safe link icon indicators not working and the phishing blocker not working, but BD Total Security advertises that as one of the main built-in features, so this band-aid approach shouldn't be necessary.

I think most of us understand the occasional bug and that sometimes it can take a while for them to be fixed, but this bug has persisted for almost a month now (started back on February 8 and today is March 6) so we can't help but wonder what is going on / what if anything is being done to address fixing the paid-product that we've purchased licenses for.

• Hello,

I don't really get it. 

I do not see any interaction from Bitdefender (I do see reactions on other forum topics) denying that at the moment phishing protection is not working..

So at the moment 500 million of your users (unpaid and paid), times 75% market share of Chrome and Firefox= 375 million users are not having phishing protection (as standard feature of at least the paid version of BD), unless they come and read this forum topic, where they can then read that installing the Traffic Light browser extension, would again protect them from phishing?

Unless I see any reaction from BD denying that phishing protection is not working at the moment, I find it incredible that BD does not use Bitdefender Central, or the e-mail addresses from their users, to inform their users actively that they are not protected from phishing at the moment (unless they act and install the Trafficlight browser extension)...

I sure hope there is no AVtest or AVcomparatives test running at the moment because I can not imagine the (usual) very good scores for BD when at this moment phishing protection is off...

• Hello,

Our development team is still working on a fix. Sometimes finding a fix may take longer than expected, as we want to make sure that there will not be any issues. At this moment, until we find a fix, the workaround for Phishing protection is to install TrafficLight.

This discussion has been closed.