Firewall blocks remote connections after a while

Hello,

I have a problem with bitdefender total security firewall. 

I tried to access shared folders from external Client over SMB. Firewall setup is the same as it is here described:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/13428/

Issued Devices:

PC (has a server role):

static IP

connected to Router over WiFi

Win10 x64

Network device (has a client role)

static IP 192.168.1.7

Linux OS running on Raspberry Pi

LAN Connected to the same Router

Bitdefender Firewall settings on PC:

-WiFi no stealth Mode

-WiFi Network Adapter changed to Home/Office

-with Custom Remote Address IP 192.168.1.7 - doesn't work at all (even my Raspberry shows the same IP 192.168.1.7)

After remowing IP in Custom Remote Address It worked perfect first 15 Minutes, than was the Client blocked again (firewall settings weren't changed). so if i want to access shared folders on Bitdefender PC, i have to disable firewall and then it works. 

in Custom Remote Address was the IP 192.168.1.7 as it should and the raspberry couldn't access my PC. i removed the IP from Custom Remote Access and then it worked for 15 minutes.

after disabling Bitdefender Firewall, Raspberry can access all the shares in a second, so devices and the network are set correctly

Any Ideas what else it can be? i tried everything i could but with no success

Tagged:

Comments

• Having problems since recent windows 7 updates and had to remove Bitdefender 2019 on several PCs due to RDP issues. Am able to connect to Win 7 host via RDP only one time. After attempting a 2nd login the host hangs on the welcome screen. Even worse, cannot login locally, system again hangs on welcome screen. Only solution is to hit the reset button.

Removed Bitdefender and using Windows Firewall plus Microsoft Security Essentials, now RDP is working perfectly. Great if Bitdefender could look into this issue. I know some other antivirus programs have been having issues since the Zero-Day and BlueKeep patches.

• chrisj
    chrisj ✭✭

JeffJeff,

Just FYI, I have a ticket open on this problem since June 6, and it is being worked on. Hoping for a fix soon, as I am unable to do remote maintenance on several systems where I don't have the option to work on locally.

Chris

• JeffJeff
    edited June 2019

Hi Chris, thanks for sharing. I do like Bitdefender but seems like they are having a hard time keeping up MS updates. Until they get Remote Desktop functionality working again in Windows 7, a complete Bitdefender uninstall and revert back to Microsoft Security Essentials and the built in firewall is working perfectly for me.

Jeff

• Hello /index.php?/profile/216887-johny/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="216887" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/216887-johny/" rel="">@Johny The situation you have encountered is a known bug which we are currently trying to resolve and it has been sent to our development team.

Thank you for your patience.

• Bogdan, thanks for letting us know. Any updates would be appreciated.

Jeff

• DSperber
    DSperber ✭✭✭

In passing I mention that this exact defect impacts Win7 Windows Media Center extenders connecting to the HTPC, and then trying to disconnect.  The protocol used by extenders to connect is RDP, and as long as the extender session is active the RDP connection is active. When the extender closes or power-off, the RDP session is supposed to terminate.  It does not, because of Bitdefender firewall failing to operate properly. It allows the RDP session to start, but fails to allow the RDP session to end.

As a result of this, the extender can only connect once, and never again... because the original RDP session remains "dangling" and un-killable.  Only solution is a re-boot of the machine.

Or, my solution is also to uninstall Bitdefender 2019 Total Security and revert back to Microsoft Security Essentials + Malwarebytes Premium.  And of course, things once again perfectly as they always did before installing Bitdefender.

I point out that I had been running Bitdefender for several months and everything was perfectly normal.  It is only in the past month or so, when a new version of Bitdefender was rolled out that included the new "Anti-tracker" functionality, that this defect relating to inability to terminate RDP session suddenly appeared. Obviously some change was also made to firewall in this latest version which is responsible for this new defect, which did not exist until recently.

I, too, have been told that this defect has been reported and passed on to development for diagnosis and resolution. Seems like the solution should have been produced by now, as for me it's now been more than a month since I first reported it. And I was told it was already known, and was already being worked on.

I'm still waiting.

• On 6/28/2019 at 9:49 AM, DSperber said:

In passing I mention that this exact defect impacts Win7 Windows Media Center extenders connecting to the HTPC, and then trying to disconnect.  The protocol used by extenders to connect is RDP, and as long as the extender session is active the RDP connection is active. When the extender closes or power-off, the RDP session is supposed to terminate.  It does not, because of Bitdefender firewall failing to operate properly. It allows the RDP session to start, but fails to allow the RDP session to end.

As a result of this, the extender can only connect once, and never again... because the original RDP session remains "dangling" and un-killable.  Only solution is a re-boot of the machine.

Or, my solution is also to uninstall Bitdefender 2019 Total Security and revert back to Microsoft Security Essentials + Malwarebytes Premium.  And of course, things once again perfectly as they always did before installing Bitdefender.

I point out that I had been running Bitdefender for several months and everything was perfectly normal.  It is only in the past month or so, when a new version of Bitdefender was rolled out that included the new "Anti-tracker" functionality, that this defect relating to inability to terminate RDP session suddenly appeared. Obviously some change was also made to firewall in this latest version which is responsible for this new defect, which did not exist until recently.

I, too, have been told that this defect has been reported and passed on to development for diagnosis and resolution. Seems like the solution should have been produced by now, as for me it's now been more than a month since I first reported it. And I was told it was already known, and was already being worked on.

I'm still waiting.

Hi,

As my colleagues mentioned, a fix for this Bitdefender behavior is undergoing development. We do not have an estimated time for the release of the fix yet, but we will contact you as soon as it's implemented by automatic update of Bitdefender. Please keep in mind that all reported bugs require investigation time. Since product updates are usually released once a month it may take at least 1 month until a fix is implemented in the product - this does not include the debugging period.

• DSperber
    DSperber ✭✭✭

Yesterday I received an email from Bitdefender support advising me that the "fix" for this RDP session problem has now been implemented in the latest Bitdefender 2020 version recently pushed out.  I was asked to reinstall the product and test things out, to see if my own WMC extender (which are RDP sessions) issue has in fact now been successfully resolved.

So I uninstalled MSE + MBAM, and installed the latest Bitdefender 2020 on my Win7 HTPC.  And then I performed a test using a WMC extender.

And I'm pleased to report that it DOES APPEAR the RDP session termination defect which I reported a few months ago in a support ticket has now, indeed, been successfully resolved by Bitdefender development. Sure enough, power-off of a WMC extender session does now once again produce the expected 117 event as it should.  And QWINSTA now does once again show that the previously active WMC extender (RDP) session is no longer active.

Looks like CASE CLOSED!  Happy ending.

At this moment I still have only reinstalled Bitdefender on the one HTPC machine used to perform this test.  I still have my other desktops and laptops (part of my 5-seat license) configured with MSE + MBAM as before, following my uninstall of Bitdefender a few months ago when this RDP session issue first appeared with some product version pushed out sometime after March 2019 (when I first installed Bitdefender and it was still working perfectly, with no RDP session problem yet).

I will eventually decide how to go forward, either using MSE + MBAM as I do on all other 20 machines I maintain and simply not renewing my annual Bitdefender license, or using Bitdefender for my own personal 5-seat license machines, or what.  Now that both MSE + MBAM as well as Bitdefender are equally defect-free, I suppose I have a true choice.

This discussion has been closed.