Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Annoying auto update's tray balloon notification in windows 7 when no internet connection

Options

I'm using BitDefender free version in windows 7. When there is no internet connection, the BD's auto-update service will still try to perform virus database update, and since there is no internet connection, it will fail and show tray balloon notification pop-up about the failed update. It's very annoying as it keeps showing for certain interval (I think it's showing for every 30 minutes).

So want to give suggestion: please disable the tray notification pop-up for failed update, or perhaps gives an option for users to disable it.

Also, it will be nice if we can have an option to control the auto-update's interval time, or maybe gives an option for manual update. It's important feature for someone who uses quota based mobile internet.

Comments

• Hello /index.php?/profile/217446-rawul/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="217446" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/217446-rawul/" rel="">@Rawul,

We really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us and would like to assure you that we are working around the clock to improve our products.

Indeed, a feature to disable notifications from System tray is worth taking into account in the future and we do value our customer’s opinions when improving our product. For now, we do have some other exciting features on our plate right now for the next implementation.

Currently Bitdefender requires an internet connection as it retrieves valuable information regarding the latest threats detected by us, as you may know new threats appear daily.

Thank you and have nice day!

• On 9/17/2019 at 8:48 AM, Anisoara S. said:

Indeed, a feature to disable notifications from System tray

What about NOT disabling notifications but instead program BD to check for updates ONLY when there is an internet connection?????

On 9/17/2019 at 1:34 AM, Rawul said:

it will be nice if we can have an option to control the auto-update's interval time

If you do not update an antivirus as often as possible , you keep this software on your computer for nothing. For example Avast has streaming updates, that means will update every 10-20 min

• RedsFan
    RedsFan ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Options

On 9/17/2019 at 2:48 PM, Anisoara S. said:

Hello /index.php?/profile/217446-rawul/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="217446" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/217446-rawul/" rel="">@Rawul,

We really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us and would like to assure you that we are working around the clock to improve our products.

For now, we do have some other exciting features on our plate right now for the next implementation.

Thank you and have nice day!

Like a 2020 version for Bitdefender free ?! its been like that for ages.... something new and a better cloud protection in BD free would be nice.... signatures are always late.

I would think that Microsoft Windows Defender has even a better protection than BD free.....

• Rawul
    edited September 2019
    Options

On 9/20/2019 at 10:58 AM, questions said:

If you do not update an antivirus as often as possible , you keep this software on your computer for nothing. For example Avast has streaming updates, that means will update every 10-20 min

It's not that I won't do update at all, I just don't want to have auto-update to run every 30 minutes or 1 hour. I always set longer update's interval time with other AV and I am doing fine.

• 2 hours ago, Rawul said:

I always set longer update's interval time with other AV and I am doing fine.

What exactly do you mean by " I always set longer update's interval time with other AV and I am doing fine. "

You can "do fine" even without an antivirus installed.

It seems like you lack the understanding about an antivirus purpose and functionality...

• 16 hours ago, questions said:

What exactly do you mean by " I always set longer update's interval time with other AV and I am doing fine. "

You can "do fine" even without an antivirus installed.

It seems like you lack the understanding about an antivirus purpose and functionality...

What do you mean by "do fine even without an antivirus installed" ? Are you saying I shouldn't use AV at all just because I want to have more control on the auto update's interval time??

I use quota based internet, having control on the auto-update's interval time will help me preserving some quota. That's the reason I want to have control on the auto update's interval time, especially in BD Free where the interval time is too tight.

Please don't attack someone personally here, I'm creating this thread for submitting some suggestions to BD team. I'm not really interested in debating other stuffs.

• 9 hours ago, Rawul said:

I use quota based internet

So, how is this going to affect your "quota based internet" if you update 10 times per day 1KB each time or 1 time 10KB  ????? On the end of the day is the same amount of download /upload.

An antivirus NEEDS to update as often as possible to protect you against new malware, this is the nature of any antimalware.

• Rawul
    edited September 2019
    Options

1 hour ago, questions said:

So, how is this going to affect your "quota based internet" if you update 10 times per day 1KB each time or 1 time 10KB  ????? On the end of the day is the same amount of download /upload.

Sometimes I'm short of quota so I need to preserve what I have currently, also I usually run the update on non-quota internet connection (like public wifi or such) in order to save the quota, so having auto-update control is important to prevent the auto-update to run on the situation that I don't want it to run.

An antivirus NEEDS to update as often as possible to protect you against new malware, this is the nature of any antimalware.

There is no guarantee that new malware can always be detected even if you often run the update, but I'm not saying doing frequent update is bad practice either. I'm very careful of what I'm doing in my pc (although not in extreme way), so I have never had issue with a bit outdated signature or program.

Also I read that BD used to have faulty update issue: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitdefender#Trojan.FakeAlert.5. So having control of the update can be a good thing too.