Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender Total Security 19 blocks all sites except google domains and youtube

Options
TipTopTom
TipTopTom
edited June 2019 in General

So i cannot figure this out.  I have been having this issue where bitdefender Total Security 2019 ends up blocking all connections from connecting except *.google.com and Youtube.com.  I tried adding various sites as a whitelist, to no avail.  Google and youtube are not listed in the whitelist.  Bitdefender.com is blocked as well.

When i restart the computer all websites will work fine until some random point when  the bitdefender agent start working (its starts using 15-50% cpu usage) then it will begin to block sites.  it can be between 1 to 15 hours later when it starts to block sites.  I even reinstalled bitdefender and put windows firewall to default settings.  The same issue after a reinstall.

As soon as i remove bitdefender all the websites come back up.

last weird detail, all websites will ping just fine, even when the websites are blocked.

Comments

• Roxana G
    Options

Hello TipTopTom,

What message do you receive and on which browser do you have this issue? If you disable Online Threat Prevention from Bitdefender do the webpages load?

• TipTopTom
    TipTopTom
    edited June 2019
    Options

I get no internet connection available. it blocks connections to everything, not just chrome and internet explorer.  It seems the ONLY exception is Ping.  

I have multiple computers and it only happens to this computer.  I disabled every single utility in bitdefender to include Online Threat Prevention.  

I noticed this thread which has similar issues recently on reddit. Bitdefender Subreddit

• Roxana G
    Options

On 6/21/2019 at 5:19 PM, TipTopTom said:

I get no internet connection available. it blocks connections to everything, not just chrome and internet explorer.  It seems the ONLY exception is Ping.  

I have multiple computers and it only happens to this computer.  I disabled every single utility in bitdefender to include Online Threat Prevention.  

I noticed this thread which has similar issues recently on reddit. Bitdefender Subreddit

Hi,

We would like to further investigate this behavior, please write us at bitsy@bitdefender.com and include a Support Tool log in your email.

• Dave Matthews
    edited August 2019
    Options

Hi folks,

I am having the same problem, ever since downloading Build 23.0.24.120 for BitDefender Internet Security 2019 last month (July). I don't know for certain that it is BitDefender that's causing the issue, only that it started happening within a couple of hours of rebooting my PC after taking the download. I've investigated other possibilities but been able to rule them out. The scenarios and tests are as follows:

I have a standard desktop PC, running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit with Service Pack 1 in a domestic environment.  The motherboard, a Gigabyte M4A89GTD  Pro USB3, is running an  AMD Phenom II 965 quad-core CPU, with 12GB RAM and an onboard NIC. It accesses the Internet via a wired ethernet connection to my Netgear DGN2000 router/modem...

- On average once a day, I get sudden, seemingly random loss of access to all websites (Chrome reports "The website is unavailable", while Firefox and IE show similar errors) other than Google and YouTube.  I understand these sites are running IPv6, so the problem is possibly limited to IPv4  sites, plus...

- When the problem strikes, the email client on my PC, Mozilla Thunderbird (v 60.8.0, 32-bit), cannot establish a connection either.

- When the problem strikes, ProductServiceAgent.exe is found to be consuming 25% CPU. However I think that's a side-effect of the problem rather than the cause because on one occasion I killed it off while still having Internet access, only for the problem to strike again a few hours later.

- I can successfully perform PING and TRACERT.

- Using IPCONFIG /ALL, I can see that IPv4 lease renewal between my NIC and the router is working successfully and well in advance of expiry time, as per normal behaviour.  The associated IPv4-related WIndows Event log confirms this and throws up no warnings or errors.  None of the standard, common Windows Event logs (System, Application, Security, etc) indicate a problem, either.   I have, however, performed an IPCONFIG /RELEASE and IPCONFIG /RENEW but this doesn't help. 

- I've disabled BitDefender's own soft firewall and Windows' own soft firewall but no avail - the problem continues.

- The router itself appears to be working correctly in that other devices attached to it, either wired or wirelessly, can continue to access any website. Also, those other devices can "see" my desktop PC on the LAN and share files, etc. I did try rebooting the router anyway but that didn't fix the problem. 

When the problem occurs, I have tried leaving it overnight to see if it fixes itself but it doesn't, even after 12 hours.  The only "fix" is to reboot the PC. 

The only thing I haven't tried is to uninstall BitDefender - should I try that? 

--

Thanks!

Dave

• TipTopTom
    Options

Honestly, the actions bitdefender support were asking me to do  were not working.  I just got frustrated that i removed bitdefender for a month.  I just reinstalled Bitdefender again yesterday.  So far i have not had any issues.

• Dave Matthews
    edited August 2019
    Options

Interesting, TipTopTom - thanks. I'd suggest waiting 72 hours - although it's happening to me once a day on average, I have had occasions when the  connection has remained up for almost three days. Anyway I take it that during the month that BitDefender was removed, you saw no recurrence of the issue at all? 

• TipTopTom
    Options

1 hour ago, Dave Matthews said:

Interesting, TipTopTom - thanks. I'd suggest waiting 72 hours - although it's happening to me once a day on average, I have had occasions when the  connection has remained up for almost three days. Anyway I take it that during the month that BitDefender was removed, you saw no recurrence of the issue at all? 

the issue was 100% Bitdefender.  Within 15 seconds of uninstalling Bitdefender (i reinstalled about 4 times last month) each time the internet came right back up.  I figured it was a flawed update and i would just have to wait awhile for another update to fix it.  I'm pretty sure it is good now because i would have lost internet almost 18 hours ago.  But during the month without Bitdefender, no, i did not have any issues with the internet.

• Roxana G
    Options

Hello all,

Can you please confirm if the issue is solved or if it persists with Bitdefender 2020 version?

• Hi Roxana,

I haven't tried BitDefender 2020 - would rather the 2019 version was fixed than risk a new product that may have problems of its own, sorry! Meanwhile...

There is still a problem with Build 23.0.24.120 of BD 2019 for me... but I've begun to notice that occasionally when I receive pop-up notifications from YouTube and/or Facebook, that seems to coincide with loss of connectivity.  I disabled those notifications and, 24 hours on, have not yet had a further loss of access. Will monitor for another few days, though. Perhaps you could look into the possibility of such notifications causing BD a problem.

--

Thanks,

Dave

• Ignore the above theory: lost connectivity again! :(

• Cãtãlin C..
    edited August 2019
    Options

Hello Dave,

Why don't you try an update to 2020 version? It has solved some problems existing in the 2019 version and it's clearly superior. I use it and everything is fine.

How to update: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/28916/

• Dave Matthews
    edited August 2019
    Options

Well if you can assure me that the cause of the bug has been found and the resolution for it included in the 2020 version, then I'll try it.  As far as I can see, nobody from BitDefender has formally acknowledged the existence of the problem, identified its cause and fixed it...? As such, the best "fix" at the moment would be to fall back to the previous build of BD 2019. 

• Well.. Roxana mentioned that the problem is solved in the 2020 version. What do you lose if you try? I have the same security solution (2020) and I have no problem described. 

• ^ No, Roxana did NOT confirm this - we were asked to try the 2020 version to test whether the problem persists or not. Besides which I am deliberately not an early adopter of new versions of software: I don't have the time to deal with the new issues that often occur with them. Much safer and less hassle to be  fashionably "late to the party" by which time early issues have hopefully been ironed out with a sequence of patches. 

• Roxana G
    Options

7 minutes ago, Dave Matthews said:

^ No, Roxana did NOT confirm this - we were asked to try the 2020 version to test whether the problem persists or not. Besides which I am deliberately not an early adopter of new versions of software: I don't have the time to deal with the new issues that often occur with them. Much safer and less hassle to be  fashionably "late to the party" by which time early issues have hopefully been ironed out with a sequence of patches. 

Hello Dave,

Most of the issues with the Bitdefender 2019 version are solved in the 2020 version. Please keep in mind that we no longer develop updates for 2019 version and for this reason is recommended to install the latest version.

• Dave Matthews
    edited August 2019
    Options

OK, thanks, Roxana. So before I try the 2020 version, can you confirm that this particular bug was identified (if so, what was the cause?) - and its resolution is included in the 2020 version?

You say that *most* of the issues in BD 2019 have been solved. Which ones are outstanding - and when do you expect to resolve them by? I'm just wondering whether I should wait until you've issued  patches for them before upgrading to 2020. 

Thanks,

Dave

• TipTopTom
    Options

On 8/5/2019 at 5:30 AM, Roxana G said:

Hello all,

Can you please confirm if the issue is solved or if it persists with Bitdefender 2020 version?

sorry for the delay.  I have no issues with version 2020.

• Roxana G
    Options

23 hours ago, Dave Matthews said:

OK, thanks, Roxana. So before I try the 2020 version, can you confirm that this particular bug was identified (if so, what was the cause?) - and its resolution is included in the 2020 version?

You say that *most* of the issues in BD 2019 have been solved. Which ones are outstanding - and when do you expect to resolve them by? I'm just wondering whether I should wait until you've issued  patches for them before upgrading to 2020. 

Thanks,

Dave

Hi,

Yes, with Bitdefender 2020 version this issue is solved.

• Dave Matthews
    edited August 2019
    Options

I've used BitDefender for many years now without problems but the long-term quality of a product is often proportional to that of its vendor support. Imagine the following analogous scenario:

I take my car in for a service and the dealer applies the latest software build to the Engine Management System. That update subsequently causes the engine to stop working properly: every 24 hours or so it suddenly locks up the gearbox in the middle of driving down the road and I have restart the engine to continue my journey. So I ask the dealer for support. Their response is "Oh, sorry, although we've supplied a faulty update for your engine a few weeks ago, we have now abandoned support for it... but the good news is that we can supply you with a brand new engine for you to install! We don't think the new one will exhibit that particular fault, though it does have a number of other problems which we have carried over from the old engine." 

Is that a reasonable proposition?

Roxana - I'll ask for a final time: what was the cause of the problem? If I know this, then I might be able to do a manual workaround.  Or, better still, is there a way to regress back to the previous Build?

--

Thanks

Dave

• Hahaha I remember few years ago Bitdefender caused Youtube videos to not playing.

• This just happened to me right after bitdefender update on June 2. Many websites report insecure connection using firefox, when using bitdefender free (as I have been for a while). When  I turn protection -> protection shield off, all of the websites work....

• Roxana G
    Options

2 hours ago, violab said:

This just happened to me right after bitdefender update on June 2. Many websites report insecure connection using firefox, when using bitdefender free (as I have been for a while). When  I turn protection -> protection shield off, all of the websites work....

Hi,

If you are having issues with the Free edition of Bitdefender, please check the threats from Antivirus Free edition: 

/index.php?/topic/80422-bitdefender-free-blocks-most-https-connections-on-my-pc/&do=embed" style="overflow: hidden; height: 385px; max-width: 502px;">

• On 9/26/2019 at 2:17 PM, Roxana G said:

Hi,

If you are having issues with the Free edition of Bitdefender, please check the threats from Antivirus Free edition: 

/index.php?/topic/80422-bitdefender-free-blocks-most-https-connections-on-my-pc/&do=embed" style="height:385px;max-width:502px;">

Hi ! Hi.

Thanks for sharing .it actually works...

Cheers, my website