Bitdefender Free vs criptominer

Nunzio77
Nunzio77 Defender of the month mod

Hi,

Is Bitdefender Free also effective against cryptominers on websites?

Thanks.

Nunzio

Nunzio ·

Bitdefender Plus, Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, CPU Intel Core2 Duo T7500, RAM 4 Gb - Bitdefender Mobile Security

Comments

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    edited June 2020

@Nunzio d'Abbruzzo

Briefly explaining, bitdefender free web attack prevention technology (phishing + malicious website blocking) will protect you from crytomining website.

But when it comes to crytomining malware, the free product will only detect them through signature based detections & behaviour based technology. For advanced protection in relation with cryptominers it is always advised to use paid software which has more technologies to detect miners than free version.

Bitdefender free will detect a sample if it has signatures to them and we know signatures are only available when malware researchers come to know about that specific threat.

If this helps, kindly mark answer as agree/ accepted

Regards

Flex

(Bitdefender beta tester 2019/ 2020)

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Nunzio77

Hi,

but I don't mean ransoware, for which there is behavioral analysis.

I am talking about miner viruses that can be hidden in website javascript.

Read here:

https://www.wired.it/economia/finanza/2018/03/09/miner-virus-bitcoin/

Does web protection block them?

Thanks. 😉

Nunzio.

Nunzio ·

Bitdefender Plus, Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, CPU Intel Core2 Duo T7500, RAM 4 Gb - Bitdefender Mobile Security

• Flexx

Well If you would have read my response correctly, the first line would have provided you with the answer of your question.

I also provided you additional information related to cryptomining malware also.

In simple terms I would like to again quote the websites that are blocked are not only blocked due to phishing or fraud. They are also blocked due to having malicious java ****** embedded in them. You can trust bitdefender in protecting you against the mining website and blocking of malicious java ******.

Have a look at below exapme via bitdefender blog :

https://hotforsecurity.bitdefender.com/blog/engineer-discovers-hidden-cryptocurrency-miner-in-google-chrome-extension-19127.html

I also never talked about ransomware. Behavior detection is not only limited to ransomware or malware, even it can spot cryptominers malware which utilize system resources.

If this helps, kindly mark answer as agree/ accepted and remove the previous remark, if possible.

Regards

Flex

• Nunzio77

Nunzio ·

• Flexx

You are welcome. If for instance you find any website that might be malicious/ phishing/ fraud/ mining and is not detected by bitdefender, you can always use the online forum (https://www.bitdefender.com/submit/) to share them directly with the malware research team.

If the website does fall in above stated category, detection will be added in maximum of 72 hours.

Regards

Flex

• Nunzio77

Nunzio ·

• will it react if on my website is used a crypto payment gateway? will it block it? for example, NOWPayments or Bitpay

• Flexx

Bitdefender detects cryptominer malware & block if any website is hosting cryptominer malware. Otherwise, one can still use crypto payment gateway until it is genuine and not fraud. You can send your website to bitdefender malware researchers in order to get it checked with them if it is safe or does it need any improvement in relation to security.

Regards

Flex