Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials?

Watson
Watson
edited February 2022 in Install & Updates

Hi

I just purchased Bitdefender and in the setup it wants me to uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials. Is that something I should be doing to get this to work?

Thank you!

Answers

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    edited December 2020

Yes, because it is not advisable to run 2 antimalware/ antivirus program with each other.

Regards

Flex

(Bitdefender beta tester 2019/ 2020)

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• MJX
    MJX ✭✭✭

Hi Watson,

If you are running Windows 10 Microsoft Security Essentials is built in and you can not remove it. However during the install Bitdefender will disable the Windows security feature which is Microsoft Security Essentials. Microsoft Security Essentials was only a manual install on previous versions of Windows. No fear in disabling this if you are installing Bitdefender. You can also disable the alerts for this software in Windows Security At a Glance settings.

-MJX

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

Hi @MJX

To clarify here. MSE & Windows Defender are 2 different products.

Windows 7

Windows Defender : Antispyware

MSE : Antispyware + Antivirus

Windows 8/ 8.1

Windows Defender : Antispyware + Antivirus

MSE : Not Supported

Windows 10

Windows Defender : Antispyware + Antivirus

MSE : Not supported.

Additionally, if I will compare MSE of windows 7 with Windows Defender of windows 10, Windows defender has ransomware protection, advanced threat defense which is not available in MSE. Also Windows Defender in windows 10 has machine learning which is not available in MSE. MSE is totally dependent on signatures.

Well, we can say that Windows Defender in windows 10 is the combination of MSE of windows 7 plus additional/ newly added security features.

Also, despite if bitdefender is set as the primary protection, one can still schedule weekly scans with Windows Defender.

Regards

Flex

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)