WSL on Windows 10 has no network connectivity

Hi,

After the installation of Total Security 2018, all tools that required internet access in WSL, such as ssh and curl, are blocked by bitdefender firewall.

I usually use those tools in WSL and the only way I can use them now is turning off the firewall.

Does anybody know how to configure it so that the bash works again?

Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• jae
    jae
    edited September 2017

You are not crazy, and not alone.  I tried adding an allow rule for bash, but only "fix" I have found is to disable the Firewall.  I will open a ticket with support and wait.  I should note that for me, the only traffic affected was anything on the local subnet.  I was still able to reach the internet and other subnets via VPN.

• Hello,

The situation is known and currently being worked on.

The fix will be delivered via automatic updates.

• I cannot ssh or even resolve hosts when Bitdefender firewall is turned on.

I tried adding C:\Windows\System32\bash.exe into firewall with no success.

Examples (machine names changed):

me@machine:~$ ssh me@somewhere

ssh: Could not resolve hostname somewhere: Temporary failure in name resolution

When I try to SSH to IP I get this:

me@machine:~$ ssh me@ip.of.the.machine

ssh: connect to host ip.of.the.machine port 22: Permission denied

When I turn off the Bitdefender firewall, everything works as it should. It is "internet security 2018", latest update. The problem started today (5th Oct 2018).

Any ideas?

• I have the same issue and I've found a workaround that does not involve disabling the firewall.

My issue boils down to the /etc/resolv.conf file in linux. If this lists my router as the nameserver then I'm unable to connect to the interwebs (I guess this is what BitDefender blocks somehow?). If I change it to some external nameserver (i.e. verisign 64.6.64.6 or google 8.8.8.8) then I get interwebs.

Sadly WSL overwrittes this file every time a new bash instance is created but since it uses the values from "ipconfig /all" I was able to make a "permanent workaround" by changing the network adapter. I followed this guide: https://publicdnsforum.verisign.com/discussion/13/verisign-public-dns-set-up-configuration-instructions#latest

An extra step I had to do after changing the adapter was to disable and enable it before linux was able to connect.

So no more disabling firewalls or manually updating /etc/resolv.conf but I'd still love to see this fixed in BitDefender though.

• So, it’s 2018 now.

There isn’t any progress at all.

• So I'm sorry to say this BitDefender, but i'm done with you because of this one issue.  I have zero confidence in your company that you broke this, and can't fix it, combined with your truly pathetic options made available in the tool.  At this point Windows Defender is a vastly superior product for free.  I'm removing your software and not going to renew, after years of being a customer.

Every version, you strip features, and limit access, as if you fail to recognize some users are capable of setting up complicated firewall rules.  This is insanity and your product offerings have continued to decline in quality year after year.  This is not a new feature, it worked fine on 2017 and you broke it in 2018 clearly indicating your software validation testing is not adequate.

• On 3/1/2018 at 4:21 AM, magilum said:

So I'm sorry to say this BitDefender, but i'm done with you because of this one issue.  I have zero confidence in your company that you broke this, and can't fix it, combined with your truly pathetic options made available in the tool.  At this point Windows Defender is a vastly superior product for free.  I'm removing your software and not going to renew, after years of being a customer.

Every version, you strip features, and limit access, as if you fail to recognize some users are capable of setting up complicated firewall rules.  This is insanity and your product offerings have continued to decline in quality year after year.  This is not a new feature, it worked fine on 2017 and you broke it in 2018 clearly indicating your software validation testing is not adequate.

Same here.

I don't know why this feature is broken after upgrading to 2018.

I think I will not subscribe to any bitdefender product after it expired.

• same with me. I installed WSL/Ubuntu on my PC, but Bitdefender does not let me run and application changing the disk.

So, I can even do something basic as g++ compilation.

Tzvi

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    edited October 2020

@TzviMel

The issue persisting is due to bug in microsoft windows which was currently resolved by microsoft. Kindly update your windows, selecting the other update option.

Have a look at the stated link. It will provide you with more information and the type of windows update you need to run to fix the issue : https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-fixes-wsl-2-breaking-bug-in-new-windows-10-update/

If the issue is with any application that bitdefender is blocking, you can create a firewall rule to allow the running of application.

Kindly follow the procedure available in the link : https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/13425/

For more information related to your query, kindly drop an email to bitdefender support at bitsy@bitdefender.com & they will reply back asap.

Regards

Flex

(Bitdefender beta tester 2019/ 2020)

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• I'm having the same issue with the latest Bitdefender TotalSecurity 25.07.34 and latest Windows 10 Insider 2046. When Firewall is turned off, WSL traffic works. As soon as I turn it on, it stops working. I've also allowed bash.exe and wsl.exe to access the internet, but without luck.

Is there any setting I missed, or is there any log-info where I can see what exactly is being blocked?

• Ping! Ping! Ping! Ping! Ping! Ping!

Is this ever gonna be solved, otherwise I have no use for the whole Total Security Stuff, except the Antivirus-functionality!

• Tyorkin
    Tyorkin
    edited January 2021

I have installed latest version of windows 10 and wsl2 with all latest updates, lastest version of bitdefender total security. If I turn on the firewall there is not network connection inside wsl2 (ubuntu 18.04). How I can resolve this issue? Please help!