The Return of the Security Widget

2»

Answers

• I've had the build update this morning and can confirm that the widget can be selected in settings.

A question though...the widget literally sits on the desktop and if, for example, I open a browser, I can't actually see the widget because it's sat on the desktop. Is this normal? Can it be adjusted to sit on top of whatever you have open on your computer? Thanks.

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

Finally it's back !

Regards

Flex

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• I am impressed and delighted that Mr Widget is back!

I was very disappointed when the widget was removed from Bitdefender. For me this was quite a differentiator, and I loved the way I could be instantly aware of notifications and tasks that Bitdefender was performing. I could not believe that such a small but useful feature had been removed. I was not the only user who felt like this and I know that Bitdefender would have received many requests for the widget's return.

Without the widget I would have to fire up the Bitdefender program to see what notifications I had missed during the preceding hours. I know that Bitdefender is looking out for me but if I visit a potentially malicious website, or if Bitdefender failed to update, or there are critical Windows updates required etc. I don't want to have to open up the dashboard/notifications to get the notifications. The Widget solved that issue perfectly and originally was one of the features (many years ago) that made me purchase the AV application. In fact, I so missed the widget that I had a daily routine of firing up the Bitdefender program, then dragging its window almost off my desktop — just so I could see any new notifcation. A crude method, but that is literally what I have done ever since the widget's demise.

I therefore want to sincerely express my thanks to all at Bitdefender for listening to those of us who were saddened when the widget went into retirement! IT'S BACK (Hooray)!!! NOT ONLY IS THE WIDGET BACK... but it looks EVEN BETTER. A nice new modern design that has been beautifully designed.

Bitdefender has restored my faith because it shows that large companies can listen to their customers and respond to requests when appropriate. I must admit it seldom seems to happen these days with other software providers etc.

So, THANK YOU for returning Mr Widget. He and I are now very happy again everyday when we share our computer time together... I have even purchased a 15-device 2-year subscription for when my product needs renewal.

Very much appreciated.

Kind regards

A happy Bitdefender user.

• I'm also happy to see it back!!! I really missed it!

• Happy to see the widget back... very happy :)

But I do prefer the previous version with just the check mark in the circle. The new version with a laptop icon in the center is getting a bit large, and the laptop icon has no discernible function. The widget is not to impress, but to sit unnoticed in a corner.

It is slightly overbearing for me atm... but better than nothing.

A perfect world would allow me to drag it to size.

• Thanks for bringing back the Widget. It's nice to have a company listen to its customers!

• So glad that the Widget is back. I don't care how it looks. As long as it works like the old one you have one happy customer here. :D

• Very pleased to see the widget show up in the corner of my screen. Thanks very much for bringing it back!

• Hi all,

Thanks for the information to bringing back the Widget.

• Dont buy Bitdefender products. Its a crap product. raised a ticket 1006161927 with Bitdefender Global support and no resolution yet. Pathetic service

• AnotherDave
    AnotherDave ✭✭✭

I don't even understand why spammers are allow to remain on this forum along with their posts. I manage a couple forums myself and the very second I see someone post spam or a malicious link I delete their account (and posts) entirely. There's no "please don't do that" involved... waste of time. It's like asking a virus to "please kindly refrain from infecting my computer".

Speaking of malicious links, check out a couple spams just in this one thread - https://community.bitdefender.com/en/discussion/83408/we-detected-a-change-in-your-devices-settings-that-allows-users-to-modify-security-zone-policies?

This forum has way too many dangerous link posts. Keep in mind there are novice users who have ended up here seeking security advice and could easily be tricked into getting infected or compromised or phished, a perfect example of which is this post - https://community.bitdefender.com/en/discussion/comment/300663/#Comment_300663

Using Bitdefender Total Security. Paying BD customer since 2012

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭

@AnotherDave

Couldn't agree with your post more! I complained in the Forum Feedback topic, but no one from Bitdefender has replied. The BD Forums have become a spammers' paradise.

I sure hope that something is done to rectify this situation.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• SteveS
    SteveS ✭✭
    I just like to say I'm glad to see the return of the widget. Happy days! Now...if Bitdefender can we get rid of the "We've got your back" annoying notification message that pops up & doesn't disappear until you click on the x to close it I'd be happy as a pig in...totally agree with the spamming too! Apparently the solution is to put a 240 second timer on posting questions, break it & get a spam block for 600 seconds. Great solution!
  • It's a really nice Widget! I agree.
  • I am very happy to have the widget back. I do have a very small issue, though. In the preview image posted early in this thread, the security widget is shown at the bottom right corner of the screen, over the clock, but on my screen, it is a few inches to the left of that spot, to the left of the notification area, over the "News and Interests" widget. Is there a way for me to reposition the security widget to be in the bottom right corner? It doesn't appear to be draggable.

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭

@shacktoms

The widget is draggable. Just click and hold, on the black area outside of the green circle. Drag it where you like.

I hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• I really like the widget. However, when I drag it to one of my 4K monitors, the widget scale gets out of whack and I get slider bars on the right side and bottom side of the widget. I cannot make the slider bars go away.

If I drag the widget back to my main monitor (43 inch ultra wide), the widet scales just fine, and the scroll bars disappear.

Any way I can use the widget on one of my other monitors and have it scale correctly so the slider bars go away?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

• Well, that is about to change, dear @garioch7 😊 Major clean-up and updates are incoming.

cheers,

Mike

Intel Core i7-7700 @ 3.60Ghz, 64GB DDR4 || Gigabyte nVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1070 G1 8GB || WD Blue NAND 500GB + 1TB

• Anyone have any tips or updates for me to try, please? I am still having the same issue with the widget, and would really like to use ite.

Thank you in advance!

• Magnificent, he is excellent, I am glad to have been, I think, a trigger on his return, and the designer administration has at last paid attention to us.
  • Yup. I have been using it again, and noticed that my fan is pretty quiet when it's on my desktop. :smile:
  • This article should therefore be updated, which therefore no longer applies for the Widget