Quarantine Files. Can A Quarantied Virus Do Harm?

Bit defender recently detected a virus on my system and moved it to the quarantine. It was unable to disinfected the file though. My question is what happens when a file is quarantined? Does that mean the virus has been defanged so to speak? Is it safe to merely delete the files? Then will I be virus free? thank you good people!-Andy

Comments

• No, a quarantined virus is isolated from the rest of the applications, and only the AV can acces it. If you want, you can delete the file, but if we speak about a file infector, the quarantined program will be lost. If it is a worm or a trojan, it is safe to be deleted. Just in case, before deletion, post here the file name and with what threat is beeing infected.

Andrei

• No, a quarantined virus is isolated from the rest of the applications, and only the AV can acces it. If you want, you can delete the file, but if we speak about a file infector, the quarantined program will be lost. If it is a worm or a trojan, it is safe to be deleted. Just in case, before deletion, post here the file name and with what threat is beeing infected.

Andrei

Thank you Andrei! Here are the file names

Exploit.ADODB.Stream.CW

Trojan.Patched.V

killlt.exe

Thank you so much!-Andy

• If you have any doubts next time with regards to a file, whether is infected or not, you can place him into an archive with password "infected", and attach here, on the "Malware talk" forum. Virus researchers will analyse the files.

Andrei

• Hi Andrei,

I've a file (Logic_Pro_X_10_6_2_Download.dmg) under quarantine by Bitdefender (during scanning), which classified the file as infected with a malicious adware by the threat name as "Adware.MAC.Bundlore.EJL".

Could Bitdefender disinfect and clean up this infected file? If can, what should I do?

I've placed this infected file in a folder ("Infected Files Folder (128bitsAES)" attached here, with a password "infected", according to your advice.

Best Regards,

Caleb

• Hi Andrei,

I've a file (Logic_Pro_X_10_6_2_Download.dmg) under quarantine by Bitdefender (during scanning), which classified the file as infected with a malicious adware by the threat name as "Adware.MAC.Bundlore.EJL".

Could Bitdefender disinfect and clean up this infected file? If can, what should I do?

Best Regards,

Caleb