Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Vista 64b Ultimate: Bdselfpr.sys Is Not Found

Options

BD Version: Bitdefender Internet Security 2008 Family Pack (Spanish)

I have a series of events 7000 errors registered into my event log and they are triggered at Bitdefender 2008 startup because the service "BDSelfPr" is not found.

I have read most the threads regarding this particular issue and some of them are as old as Dec 2007, so I´m starting to get worried about been June 2008 and this problem is still present. I have performed all the proposed solutions and the results:

- I have used the frontloader and also went to the download directory to get the correct MSI package for my system... No changes.

- Installed/uninstalled using OS unistaller or the BD unistall tool. After close inspection of registry alterations, effectively, Bitdefender installer is creating the entries for "BDSelfPr" service so installing/uninstalling is not/will not fix it.

- "BDSelfPr.sys" is not in the pointed location by the registry. Is not present at all in my system. Haven´t checked the installation binary for any reference to the file itself into the package.

- Into device manager, obiously, you don´t find anything related to "BDSelfPr" because the service is not loaded.

I stumbled with this problem while throughfully checking Vista boot process... The 7000 event come in pairs, separated by 15 seconds. Precissely the delay I observed that interrupted the service loading chain. I just don´t find tolerable this kind of delays on my boot chain as some to the delayed applications are required for some of my hardware, and they need to be loaded smoothly and as soon as possible.

So, seeing that this bug has been going around for like 7 months already, is there a way to make my Bitdefender not try to load this service? Or there is some detailed fix that I can access that haven´t been posted in this forums already?

Comments

• Niels
    Options

Hello ragamer,

BDSelfPr must be found in the section non plug and play compatible drivers section of device manager. But you need to first go to view (display) menu show hidden devices.After that take a look if you can't find any exclamation marks or question marks.

Normally in the installation directory you must find bdselfpr.sys.

You need to contact support by logging in to your my account. You can also contact livechat.

Sometimes the issues is with a specific language version of BitDefender. I personally had once an issue with my Dutch version which was missing the exclude option.

This is only a user forum. I can upload my bdselfpr service but I am not sure that it's 64 bit compatible.

Kind regards,

Niels

• josejuangh@terra.es
    edited June 2008
    Options

Thanks for the fast answer Niels, as in the other posts :rolleyes: .

But as I posted, I don´t find Bdselfpr service in Device Manager (Used show hidden devices... That´s my default view, btw) because the service file Bdselfpr.sys cannot be found by the system (is not present in my HD).

Looks to me that for some reason or the installer is deciding to not deploy this particular file, or Vista is refusing to allow it to be copied (Less likely as I should see an error at install if this would be the case).

Thanks for pointing me to the support links, I will try them also.

EDIT: Thanks for the offering about the file download, Niels, but in general I prefer to get them directly from the product supplier, I have no doubts about your good will, but in security issues, I take 0 risks. I hope this do not bother you.

• Niels
    Options

Hello ragamer,

Ok but I just wanted to be sure that you selected show hidden devices. Did you right clicked on the installer and choosed for run as administrator?

I would recommend using my account because than the support request will be handled by your local support. But I would also use livechat.

I understand that you don't trust it from third parties.

Kind regards,

Niels

• josejuangh@terra.es
    edited June 2008
    Options

As my past experience with microsoft OSes has teached me, I´m not brave enough to install anything without full administrative rights :rolleyes: , so yes I was admin when installing BD.

At the moment I´m in touch with my local support and I'm slowly crawling through the series of default custommer support protocols to fix this things... None of them successfull so far.

The instructions sent for a manual removal of any traces of BD were, been diplomatic, a deadtrap for the average user. I will add some commetaries about that particular protocol on my next mail because if I just blindly followed literally the instuctions I would have damaged my registry for good.

What I found is that some registry keys associated to BD are left in the dread "non owned" status that can trigger all kinds of funny behaviours in Vista. So by using subinacl.exe utility I´m slowly repairing the registry hiquerarchy to be sure I can get rid of eveything BD added, to try, again, to install it.

• Hi,

I have the same problem with the BDSelfPr-File on my Vista x64. I just search for a solution, but I didn't found anything here. Than I unpacked the installer for 32 and for 64 bit and checked the files. After unpacking the MSI and the bdprof cabinet files I found the BDSelfPr.sys files just in the 32 bit version. So it seems to be an error in the x64 installation package.

By the way, the installation on Vista x64 SP1 encounters an error evertime I installed BD. The quality control could be better.... my english, too, I know ;-)

Best regards, Nils.

• Niels
    Options

Hello derniwi,

You should contact BitDefender support and report it. I can report it but I can't offer them additional information because I don't have a 64 bit operating system version.

Only then it will get fixed. What error message do you receive? I also have a vista pc but it's 32 bit also with SP1 installed and I don't have issues.

Kind regards,

Niels

PS: My English isn't also that good.

• I have also had this problem. The BDSELFPR service is not used in 64 bit Vista, Bitdefender left a reference to it in the program by accident. Hopefully this will be fixed in a future version. UNTIL then you can disable Vista's attempt to start the service and therefore element the error in event view. BTW don't even bother trying to delete the service Bitdefender just recreates it....

- Boot into safe mode

- Set the start value of the following keys to 4.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet\Services\BDSelfPr

NOTE: set the start value to 4 on ALL the ControlSet branches...

yours may be called ControlSet001, 002 etc etc...