Threat from extensionwebstorebase.edgesv.net ?

Bitdefender Threat Prevention repeatedly gives me the error message. What is this? It appears to be called up by Microsoft Edge. Is this safe or not?

Online Threat Prevention

msedge.exe attempted to establish a connection relying on an expired certificate to extensionwebstorebase.edgesv.net. We blocked the connection to keep your data safe since websites must renew their certificates with a certification authority to stay current, and outdated security certificates represent a risk.

Comments

• I have been getting the exact same message for about two weeks. Every time Edge is started the message appears and then repeatedly appears every few minutes as the session continues as I go to different webpages. It's annoying. It seems to have started around the time of a recent Edge update. It's very annoying. I'm running Edge Version 96.0.1054.43 (Official build) (64-bit).

I'm assuming Bitdefender is doing its job, but is it Edge that needs to be fixed?

Is there any guidance as to if it is OK to make it an "exception"?

• Doesn't look like there's anyone that answers here ? Same problem here !

• Hi Members,

Again a matter of expired certificates - the one raised in this thread expired 11 days ago.

Why Bitdefender blocks access: when using an expired SSL certificate, there is a continuous risk to the encryption and mutual authentication of website. Websites with expired certificates are prone to attacks by hackers.

Stay safe,
    Mike

Intel Core i7-7700 @ 3.60Ghz, 64GB DDR4 || Gigabyte nVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1070 G1 8GB || WD Blue NAND 500GB + 1TB

• J'ai le même problème depuis environ deux semaines !
  • Voila !

Intel Core i7-7700 @ 3.60Ghz, 64GB DDR4 || Gigabyte nVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1070 G1 8GB || WD Blue NAND 500GB + 1TB

• Thank you Mike! I have been encountering this issue as well.

Now, is there a way to prompt Microsoft to update the cert? I reported it in Edge at least.

• I guess reporting to their support or community might help speed up the update.

cheers,

Mike

• While I have used Bitdefender Total Security for a while, I am new to this site. I've had the same issue described by the others and appreciate finally getting an explanation of the problem. Thank you, Mike/Bitdefender.

• I have been getting the exact same message for about two weeks. Every time Edge is started the message appears and then repeatedly appears every few minutes as the session continues as I go to different webpages. It's annoying. It seems to have started around the time of a recent Edge update. It's very annoying. I'm running Edge Version 96.0.1054.43 (Official build) (64-bit).

I'm assuming Bitdefender is doing its job, but is it Edge that needs to be fixed?

• Just updated edge to Version 96.0.1054.62 (Official build) (64-bit). Problem persists.

• So does this mean I can safely add to exceptions in Bitdefender?

• Hi @customle ,

You can, but as long as the certificate is marked as expired, then there's no guarantee that the respective adress is safe.

Happy holidays,

Mike