Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender Antivirus Free causing BSOD after new update - bdelam.sys

Options
luizc
edited March 2022 in Install & Updates

Hello. In the last version of Bitdefender Antivirus Free, updated today , after restarting my computer, it caused a blue screen (BSOD) looping. I disabled the automatic repair on Windows (with bcdedit), and I saw that the problem is in the antivirus driver (bdelam.sys) - it's missing. I could start my computer after disabling the early-lauch antimalware (ELAM). Maybe the file was excluded from the last version of free antivirus and it's missing at the new version. Anyway, I can't use my computer whithout force-disabling ELAM every restart.

I reported the issue to support and they just advised me that the free version has been discontinued, and that I should uninstall it. This is very strange as the Free Antivirus has just been updated to a brand new version, with a new interface. Anyway, the problem seems to be simple to solve, maybe lauching an update with the missing file... or moving away from it 😓.

Comments

• Mike_BD
    Options

Hello @luizc and welcome to our Community!

Bitdefender Antivirus Free has a completely new iteration, beginning March 17th, as you so attentively have noticed.

My reco is to completely uninstall old version and do a clean new install.

cheers,

Mike

Intel Core i7-7700 @ 3.60Ghz, 64GB DDR4 || Gigabyte nVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1070 G1 8GB || WD Blue NAND 500GB + 1TB

• luizc
    Options

Hello Mike, the issue was solved moving the bdelam.sys file from Program Files/BitDefender to system32/drivers (changing the folders permission). Thanks!

• Hi Luiz,

I have the same problem and I'm trying to copy bdelam.sys but it won't let me. What permissions did you change and how?

• Norris69
    Options

Yeah, It is free for me too.

• Hejda_P
    edited April 2022
    Options

I had same problem - Bitdefender Internet Security.

I had Windows 10 20H2 (but support from Microsoft is still ok... I think, that is problem from Bitdefender, it will not give information - "Sorry, pleas update your Windows..." Or if it broken, disabled ELAM.

I repaired in (with) method - trial and error , i didnt found any official recomended :( and Windows 10 20H2 is still official support from Microsoft !)

I was very sad and angry, because it was my first instalation of this product (IS) on my computers. It broke me booting, i tried to repair EFI and another, in second step (after repair EFI) i saw this error message. Horrible...

Finally: I repair it myself and from another computer support sent me information: "solution is uninstall Bitdefender (Bitdefender IS uninstall tool) and update Windows and Install cleanly"?.