Why uninstall root certificate?

Gurra
edited March 2022 in Install & Updates

A have the paid version of BD Total Security. When I installed it on a new device I was prompted to uninstall BD root certificate. Why?

Answers

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

Kindly contact the bitdefender support by visiting https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/ and scroll down to the bottom of the webpage where you can get in touch with support representative either by email, chat or over a call.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Gianni156
    Gianni156
    edited May 2022

I am at this point searching for some obvious plan.

• GloverG
    edited May 2022

Open the Settings application, and select the Security option. Navigate to the Trusted Credentials. Tap on the certificate that you would like to delete. Tap Disable.

• I noticed that yesterday too, I thought it was a typo in the installer. I finished the installation and then checked the Windows certificate store. There I found the newly installed Bitdefender certificate.

• I got the same message. It may be a requirement of the installation process, but it's really not clear, and in some ways is counter intuitive. An explanation of the need might be helpful.

• Hello,

If you get the message displayed below, then this is a known situation.

The developers are aware of this, the text in the install certificates popup is wrong when installing product with app open. They will soon deploy a fix with an automated update.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• I got the same message today while trying to install the paid version of BD Total Security.

So, what should I do. Click OK or Cancel? What will happen?

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭

@FruJohnson

Hello.

You should contact Bitdefender Consumer Support by chat, telephone or e-mail:

or

NOTE: Bitdefender telephone support is not toll-free!

Regards.

• August 15, 2023. Why is this situation continuing . . . new customer being presented with the need to figure out what to do about the root certificate cancellation?

• Same issue here, same confusing dialog at the end of installation. Should I uninstall the Bitdefender root certificate or not? Some actual guidance would be helpful.

• Hi @richardc,

We are looking into this. You can click 'OK' in the meantime.

Regards

• Uninstalling a root certificate is typically recommended to ensure security and privacy. Root certificates are used in secure communication, but when you're prompted to uninstall one during software installation, it may be due to an outdated or potentially compromised certificate. Bitdefender, in this case, is likely guiding you to remove an old or insecure root certificate to protect your device from potential security risks.

For more specific information and guidance, I recommend reaching out to Bitdefender support. You can contact them via email, chat, or phone by visiting Bitdefender Support. They can provide you with detailed assistance and ensure your device's security.

• Just following up on this thread, the wrong text in install certificates popup when installing the product with app opened has been fixed with an automated update.