Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Why I May Drop Bitdefender Box 2

Options
MtView
edited January 2022 in Bitdefender Box

I've had BB2 installed since it was released.  I've realized that I may have given up more in internet security by using it than I have gained.

1. Bitdefender Box 2 has no NAT filtering.  At least on a Mac running Bitdefender AntiVirus Mac - your computers are visible and ports are closed, not stealthed.

2. BB2 support has access to every device on your network through central.bitdefender.box support.  They are helpful, but it is still more exposure than I've had prior to BB2.  What checks and balances are in place to protect customers?

3. BB2 replaces the brains of your router, but is not a full-featured router.  Again - no NAT, lack of QOS is killing me, and lack of just about every feature that has been on a basic router over the past 10 years.  Either let me keep my sophisticated router and use BB2 or step up and add features.

4. I still have no idea what it does for me other than cryptic dramatic messages that may or may not be a security concern or issue blocked using an unidentifiable shortened URL that I would actually have to click on to see where it goes to.

5. Did you notice, there is not one single review of BB2 on the internet that demonstrates any depth of knowledge by the reviewer other than it protects IoT and it's pretty?  There have been no red team tests?  In this regard, the tech press that covers these devices has earned a big FAIL.  I just don't think the reviewers understand the device any better than the users do.

6. I think I would rather have my QoS, NAT and VPN back.

Comments

• Michael_BD
    Michael_BD Technical Support Manager BD Staff
    Options

Thank you for the very honest and direct feedback. Is this kind of feedback that helps us the most in moving forward and always improving our product.

Allow me to address some of your concerns:

What do you expect the BOXv2 NAT to do? It provides standard network address translation while adding a number of layers of protection at the network level - focused mostly on devices that don’t have a Bitdefender endpoint solution installed. We can further detail the protection layers and how they work if you wish.

Also, we are aware that some of our users would like to see more router specific functions added into the BOX. As such, we’ve added the essentials (port forwarding, static IP allocation, custom DNS, custom subnet) and we’re continuously adding to our roadmap. If there are certain functions that you need, do let us know! I am very interested in finding out what our users need and why. It’s also important to add that VPN has recently been added to the BOX ecosystem and you can use it an all traditional devices (windows, mac, iOS and android).

Regarding the added benefits that BOX brings to the table, I suppose this is more of a feedback related to the Notifications content, and we’re currently working on revamping them so that they offer more information without being cryptical. However, just in case, here’s what BOX does for you

- checks each URL on outbound connections using the Bitdefender cloud. And domains from SSL connections

- DPI & IDS/IPS with sigs focused on exploitation techniques targeted at IoTs. Either for devices that have port forward or can be exploited through their cloud

- Bruteforce detection / prevention for devices exposed in the internet

- Detection of sensitive data (passwords, social security numbers, location, etc) that gets sent unencrypted over the network. BOX will block the connection if it sees sensitive data in transit

- a ML engine will build a baseline of how devices behave over 2-3 weeks (depending on how much activity they have over the network) enabling BOX to extrapolate abnormal behavior, should a device get hacked for whatever reason

- endpoint licenses for an unlimited number of devices that support Bitdefender software

And of course, being a European company, we’re fully following the GDPR regulations regarding data protection and privacy.

• Michael

I agree with a lot of these comments, Bitdefenders strengths are in the software that makes up the box. I still believe you need to partner with a open source UTM like OPNSENSE, or have a feature set add on like you did on the web filter piece for Untangle. 

I can tell you the non VPN supported box has been a deal breaker for me. I you need to look at expanding your line with Asus like Trend Micro did, like you are trying with netgear (which we are still waiting on). I have basically shelved by bitdefender box for lack of features.

This line of product is for pro-sumers who will pay $100 a yr for this added feature.

• Thomas Chi
    edited May 2018
    Options

If you're looking for suggested features, I have a few:

1) More granular controls for 'child accounts' - e.g., allow 'games' but block 'narcotics', '', 'suicide'...

2) IPv6 support

3) Ad blocking

4) QoS

5) VPN server/client installation

• Thomas

This is why I have moved to untangle and I pay $50for the home version, it has all of these features. I see the real value in their software not the hardware. The box 2 is a very poor hw design in CPU and memory, they do not compare to cujo or norton.

I have pi hole for ad blocking, and he.net for ipv6. Untangle supports open VPN and ipsec vpn.

• Hey Stu. If I had an extra computer lying around that I could install pfsense on, I would give it a shot. But I don't, so the Box2 seemed like a good alternative at the time. I tried Cujo but had to return it because it wouldn't even start up for me about 80% of the time. At least Box2 works, and without too much fuss. I'll just live with it for a year, and find free alternatives for my VPN/ad-blocking needs in the meantime while they continue to develop their product.

• pfsense is basically dead most people are moving to opnsense a bitdefender opnsense integration would be awesome and I would pay for it.

• Hello everyone, I invite you to read my review of the BitdefenderBox2 by following this link: http://www.domotique-info.fr/2018/05/bitdefender-box-2-cyber-securite-residentielle/

• Captainlgloo, good article, this goes back to my statement, the value of BB2 is in the software not the hardware. This is why I would like them to partner with someone who builds and sells firewalls for a living.

• coffeesnob
    Options

I have a 2-unit 2021 ASUS NeWifi XT8 Mesh router system connected to my broadband provider and my Box 2 (purchased in 2016) connected to a LAN port in the Netgear and set up as an independent network. I used to connect all my iOT devices to Box 2, but more recently suffered from buffering issues when streaming movies over Roku or directly (Ethernet connections) to my Smart TV. Besides buffering issues, switching programs/movies on Netflix and YouTube news often resulted in a blank screen or a video with no sound for a long time. During a lot of these instances, I noticed the solid green circle on the face of my Box 2 has turned into a bright red spinning light. Resetting my network devices were often met with a long reconnection wait for the Box 2 (solid green light).

BitDefender Tech Support told me that happens because it lost its networking connection momentarily. In the course of our discussion, they also told me I cannot get a new Box 2 because BitDefender has sold all its available units, and couldn't get new ones! Since I have 4-inch muffin fans blowing behind the Box 2 and the Roku, the Box 2 never gets even warm. Since then, I've decided to not renew my Box 2 subscription when it expires next February.

Because my ASUS is equipped with Trend Micro's Ai Protection Pro (which appears to provide a similar kind of protection as Box 2), I recently connected all my entertainment smart equipment (Smart TV, Roku, and Chromecast 4K) directly to my ASUS router instead. Since then, the issue with buffering and the long wait time to switch programs went away. As far as my other iOT devices, network service interruptions have not been noticeable.

Paying an annual subscription to maintain and upgrade the Box 2 firmware is fair, but if BitDefender wants to stay in the firewall business, it needs to find a new source for its Box 2 hardware.

• RST
    Options

As of now, do subscribers to Box 2 or Bitdefender Total Security have a firewall on Macs? Also, are all the ports of their Macs stealthed?

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    edited December 2022
    Options

The manufacturing of new bitdefender box product has been stopped. You can only renew your subscription for $99 on yearly basis. More information can be found in below stated link.

https://www.bitdefender.com/smart-home/#box_section

Additionally, there is no bitdefender total security product for mac. It is only avilable for windows. However, the license key of bitdefender total security can be used to activate the subscription of bitdefender antivirus for mac (https://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/antivirus-for-mac.html)

Also, the mac version does not features firewall unlike windows version.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)