Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Any Reported Bitdefender & Spywaredr. Conflicts?

Options

I've been running both of these programs for six months with no problems occurring. SpywareDr. just sent out a new release. I installed it and it just won't run properly and my pc becomes almost extremely slow and unresponsive.

I been in contact with their tech support people, but so far they cannot find an answer. I'm beginning to think that a conflict has now been created due to a change SpywareDr. made in their newest version. Has anyone else reported a problem?

Some people say you can't run two antivirus programs together, but I haven't had any problems until now. I'd like to keep using both. Thanks for your input.

Comments

• Niels
    Options

Hello popcorn,

Is it possible to disable realtime protection antivirus protection in spyware doctor? The main reason could be that both spyware doctor on access scanner and BitDefender on access scanner are scanning the same files on the same time that can cause slowdowns.

When is your pc slow? I mean at start up, during normal usage. Can you please do this press these 3 buttons together : ctrl+alt+del(ete) be sure that the processes tab is hight lighted. Now press 2 times on the CPU tab so that the highest value is on top. When your computer doesn't respond write down the process that is using lots off cpu.

Kind regards,

Niels

• Paddyzack
    edited June 2008
    Options
    Hello popcorn,

Is it possible to disable realtime protection antivirus protection in spyware doctor? The main reason could be that both spyware doctor on access scanner and BitDefender on access scanner are scanning the same files on the same time that can cause slowdowns.

When is your pc slow? I mean at start up, during normal usage. Can you please do this press these 3 buttons together : ctrl+alt+del(ete) be sure that the processes tab is hight lighted. Now press 2 times on the CPU tab so that the highest value is on top. When your computer doesn't respond write down the process that is using lots off cpu.

Kind regards,

Niels

Hi Niels:

I uninstalled Spyware Doctor because it took four or five minutes for my pc to respond to ANY command, including opening my browser. Spyware Doctor's realtime protection probably can be disabled, but I can't verify that since the software's gone. If I reinstall Spyware Doctor again, the pc will be as unresponsive as before. I've installed and uninstalled it three times now and each time it reacts exactly the same . . . so slow you think it's locked up. I will not be able to access the information to obtain what you requested. At this point, I don't know what to do. I've come to the conclusion that I'll have to chose between either Spyware Doctor or Bit Defender. If you have any other thoughts, I'd sure appreciate hearing them.

• Hi Niels:

I uninstalled Spyware Doctor because it took four or five minutes for my pc to respond to ANY command, including opening my browser. Spyware Doctor's realtime protection probably can be disabled, but I can't verify that since the software's gone. If I reinstall Spyware Doctor again, the pc will be as unresponsive as before. I've installed and uninstalled it three times now and each time it reacts exactly the same . . . so slow you think it's locked up. I will not be able to access the information to obtain what you requested. At this point, I don't know what to do. I've come to the conclusion that I'll have to chose between either Spyware Doctor or Bit Defender. If you have any other thoughts, I'd sure appreciate hearing them.

I didn't answer one of your questions. The pc is extremely slow from the time it's booted up with both of these programs running---Four/five minute response time to a click to open a program for example. I hate to lose Spyware Doctor's fine spyware/adware abilities. If I can disable realtime on Spyware Doctor, do you think they will run okay together? I know it's just a guess, but your guess is probably better than mine. Thanks Niels.

• Niels
    Options

Hello popcorn,

Does spyware doctor has a feature to scan at boot? If yes try to disable it. Because BitDefender also scans at boot (before you see the welcome screen or the vista logo).

The reason why your pc is so slow could be due a feature included in spyware doctor that constantly scans your computer for malicious activities.

What kind of BitDefender 2008 solution are you using? I mean BitDefender Antivirus 2008,BitDefender Internet Security 2008 or BitDefender Total Security 2008.

Lets try this in BitDefender first right click on the red BitDefender icon near the system tray press on open advanced settings. Normally the antivirus section should be selected and the shield tab should be high lighter now press on custom level. Uncheck scan http traffic press on ok see if your browser now open correctly?

Kind regards,

Niels

• Paddyzack
    edited July 2008
    Options

Hello popcorn,

Does spyware doctor has a feature to scan at boot? If yes try to disable it. Because BitDefender also scans at boot (before you see the welcome screen or the vista logo).

Niels:

SpywareDr. has what's called "RealTime Protection" which means it's always monitoring. It does not have permission to scan at startup. I'm using BitDefender Antivirus 2008. I have asked the SpywareDr. forum at PC Tools how I can disable this "RealTime Protection". If I can stop it from constantly monitoring, then I might be able to use both software programs on my pc.

I would like to clarify something. I uninstalled SpywareDr. several days ago, so my pc is running well and my browser is opening normally. You asked me to change the settings in BitDefender by unchecking "scan http traffic" to help the browser open correctly. I did as you asked, but the browser has been opening correctly because I uninstalled SpywareDr.

Niels, all I'm trying to do is find a way to run both programs together on my pc. Thanks for your advice.

• Niels
    Options

Hello popcorn,

File guard could also be a problem that is included in spywaredoctor. If you could only disable that part and retest if the slowdown is still there.

The change that I wanted you to do in BitDefender was to test if now spyware doctor and BitDefender Antivirus 2008 will work together and your browser will not freeze anymore.

Kind regards,

Niels

• Hello popcorn,

File guard could also be a problem that is included in spywaredoctor. If you could only disable that part and retest if the slowdown is still there.

The change that I wanted you to do in BitDefender was to test if now spyware doctor and BitDefender Antivirus 2008 will work together and your browser will not freeze anymore.

Kind regards,

Niels

I have disabled RealTime Protection in BD and SpywareDr. is now running well together with BD. I don't like disabling the RealTime Protection, but it seems apparent that both scanners running together caused my pc's slow down and unresponsiveness. I have not disabled the File Guard in SpywareDr. and enabled the RealTime Protection in BD as a test that you suggested. I could try this and start both scanners again, but I really don't think this will work. However, I appreciate all of your suggestions.

Is BD able to protect my pc against viruses with RealTime Protection disabled? I believe the only way it can protect me now is in the scan process. Please comment.

• Niels
    Options

Hello popcorn,

File guard can cause problems because it scans every file on your computer that also does BitDefender on access scanner. It can happen that when both are scanning the same file your computer can slowdown.

Right click on the red BitDefender icon near the system tray press on open advanced settings. Normally the antivirus section should be selected and the shield tab should be high lighter now press on custom level. Expand scan accessed files. Select the option scan program files only.Press on ok to save the changes.

I recommend that you try what I say as suggestions. Disabling both realtime protection is infact dangerous because some infections are difficult to clean with a scan. Only scanning is what you can do.

Kind regards,

Niels

• Hello popcorn,

File guard can cause problems because it scans every file on your computer that also does BitDefender on access scanner. It can happen that when both are scanning the same file your computer can slowdown.

Right click on the red BitDefender icon near the system tray press on open advanced settings. Normally the antivirus section should be selected and the shield tab should be high lighter now press on custom level. Expand scan accessed files. Select the option scan program files only.Press on ok to save the changes.

I recommend that you try what I say as suggestions. Disabling both realtime protection is infact dangerous because some infections are difficult to clean with a scan. Only scanning is what you can do.

Kind regards,

Niels

I followed your instructions, pressed on the antivirus section and the shield tab was highlighted. I pressed on custom level and a window opened entitled "BitDefender Real-Time Protection Settings". The window was empty. There were no files in it so I could not do what you suggest above.

• tokool
    Options

I also have issues with spyware doctor and bit defender playing nice. It would cause ridiculously long boot times when I had spy doctor start up on boot. Then it would lag my system down so much I could barely do nothing. The way I got around it was disabling spy ware doctor and enabling it after the PC started up (making sure to disable it before shut down).