Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Scans Encrypted Files

Options

I'm trying out BD Internet Security 2008 and like it, but I find that it doesn't mark my password-protected data files and archives as such; it goes ahead and scans them, apparently. The number of files scanned in a directory seems to match the number including encrypted ones. The files are encrypted by various programs.

On the initial scan during installation of BD, a number of files under Norton SystemWorks CleanSweep were marked as password-protected, for reasons which others may understand (I don't).

What might explain BD's ignoring the encryption of files?

Comments

• ljl269x
    Options

I thouht this would work: 2hybekg.jpg

But my scan produced this log:

BitDefender Log File !!!!!

Product : BitDefender Antivirus 2008

Version : BitDefender UIScanner v.11

Log date : 10:11:59 05/07/2008

Log path : C:\Documents and Settings\LL\Application Data\BitDefender\Desktop\Profiles\Logs\user_0001\1215267119_1_02.xml

Scan Paths:Path0000: F:\

Scan Options:Scan for viruses : Yes

Scan for adware : Yes

Scan for spyware : Yes

Scan for applications : Yes

Scan for dialers : Yes

Scan for rootkits : Yes

Target selection options:Scan registry keys : Yes

Scan cookies : Yes

Scan boot sectors : Yes

Scan memory processes : Yes

Scan archives : Yes

Scan runtime packers : Yes

Scan emails : No

Scan all files : Yes

Heuristic Scan : Yes

Scanned extensions :

Excluded extensions :

Target ProcessingDefault action for infected objects : Disinfect

Default action for suspicious objects : Move to Quarantine

Default action for hidden objects : Move to Quarantine

Scan engines summary

Number of virus signatures : 1345248

Archive plugins : 42

Email plugins : 6

Scan plugins : 12

Archive plugins : 42

System plugins : 4

Unpack plugins : 7

Overall scan summary

Scanned items : 30790

Infected items : 0

Suspicious items : 0

Resolved items : 0

Individual viruses found : 0

Scanned directories : 3813

Scanned boot sectors : 40

Scanned archives : 573

Input-output errors : 0

Scan time : 00:00:10:57

Files per second : 46

Scanned processes summary

Scanned : 37

Infected : 0

Scanned registry keys summary

Scanned : 408

Scanned cookies summary

Scanned : 0

Remaining issues:Object Name Threat Name Final Status

Resolved issues:Object Name Threat Name Final Status

Objects that were not scanned: Object Name Reason Final Status

F:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-3936860944-2075014391-284059253-1005\Df12139.zip=]DBXtract.exe Password-Protected No action was possible

F:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-3936860944-2075014391-284059253-1005\Df12139.zip=]DBXtract50.htm Password-Protected No action was possible

F:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-3936860944-2075014391-284059253-1005\Df12176.zip=]DBXtract.exe Password-Protected No action was possible

F:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-3936860944-2075014391-284059253-1005\Df12176.zip=]DBXtract50.htm Password-Protected No action was possible

so either Exceptions doesnt work or I dont understand something like the scope of those Exceptions. I dont know what a 'packed' file is (I know it isnt an archive) either but I do know 'email scans' refer to when they r d/l from server & r redundant if u have real time(on access) scanner on since they'll be scanned when ur Email app(OE,OX,..) opens them.

Any & all comments/suggestions are welcome.

HTH-Larry

• ljl269x
    Options
    I'm trying out BD Internet Security 2008 and like it, but I find that it doesn't mark my password-protected data files and archives as such; it goes ahead and scans them, apparently. The number of files scanned in a directory seems to match the number including encrypted ones. The files are encrypted by various programs.

On the initial scan during installation of BD, a number of files under Norton SystemWorks CleanSweep were marked as password-protected, for reasons which others may understand (I don't).

What might explain BD's ignoring the encryption of files?

Encrypted & password protected r 2 different things- latter is like a safe & pig latin is analagous to 1st ( WW2 enigma code did encrypt & was broken by Allies)

So u can do both.

HTH-Larry

• alexcrist
    Options

You say that BD scans the password protected files. Well...the scan log that you posted states otherwise (I market with BLUE the part that clearly states that the protected items were skipped):

Objects that were not scanned: Object Name Reason Final Status

F:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-3936860944-2075014391-284059253-1005\Df12139.zip=]DBXtract.exe Password-Protected No action was possible

[...]

The password-protected situation was largely discussed here: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=3584

Cris.

• dmayo
    Options

Cris, you've got two users mixed up. I reported that BD was either scanning password-protected files or ignoring them without flagging them. It was LarryL that posted the log, and his problem was the opposite: he didn't understand why the files were flagged as password-protected.

You say that BD scans the password protected files. Well...the scan log that you posted states otherwise (I market with BLUE the part that clearly states that the protected items were skipped):

The password-protected situation was largely discussed here: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=3584

Cris.

• dmayo
    Options

Right, at Bletchley Park. They did great work there, but it helped that they got their hands on one of the machines.

I think you may have put your finger on the answer to my question, but I'm not entirely sure. Programs that encrypt data do require a password to open the files, so as a practical matter it's not useful to distinguish encryption from password protection. The files I'm referring to, which range from password-protected PDFs to (password-protected) archives made by a dedicated encryption program, all go unflagged by BitDefender. If that's as it should be and I just don't understand what BitDefender means by "password-protected," I can be content. However, I'd like to make sure that's the case.

Regards,

Debitto

Encrypted & password protected r 2 different things- latter is like a safe & pig latin is analagous to 1st ( WW2 enigma code did encrypt & was broken by Allies)

So u can do both.

HTH-Larry

• alexcrist
    alexcrist
    edited July 2008
    Options

OK, sorry about that. I really didn't notice that the two posts were made by different users.

Also, your question was kinda vague. But your last post sheds some light over your question.

In short, the items which BD refers to as password-protected are only files which are found inside password-protected archives (ZIP, RAR, BIN, 7z, etc....). These types of archives, normally, can be unpacked by BitDefender, and the files inside can be scanned for threats. But when that archive is protected, the files cannot be extracted without a password, therefore they cannot be scanned. So those files are marked as not scanned: password protected.

Other types of password protection (such as encrypted files, protected PDFs, encrypted customized archive formats which BD doesn't know) are not flagged as password-protected. Those files (which are not known-archive formats) are scanned by BitDefender as one individual files, regardless if they are encrypted, password-protected, or whatever.

Cris.

• ljl269x
    Options
    In short, the items which BD refers to as password-protected are only files which are found inside password-protected archives (ZIP, RAR, BIN, 7z, etc....). These types of archives, normally, can be unpacked by BitDefender, and the files inside can be scanned for threats. But when that archive is protected, the files cannot be extracted without a password, therefore they cannot be scanned. So those files are marked as not scanned: password protected.

Other types of password protection (such as encrypted files, protected PDFs, encrypted customized archive formats which BD doesn't know) are not flagged as password-protected. Those files (which are not known-archive formats) are scanned by BitDefender as one individual files, regardless if they are encrypted, password-protected, or whatever.

Cris.

Well said. Perhaps Cris u could tell me what a 'packed' file is.I havent a clue.

Your help is MUCH appreciated. Thanks- bye- Larry

• alexcrist
    alexcrist
    edited July 2008
    Options

A packed file is a file on which was used a packer. Usually, these files are executables (EXE, DLL), and the packer basically is a "on-the-fly" archiver (it makes the application smaller by compacting the code inside and, when you execute the application, it extracts the full code in memory before the actual execution).

Some advantages of packers are:

- smaller applications

- code protection (offers some degree of protection against reverse engineering)

- virus and intrusion protection (on self-unpack, the application checks itself for code modifications)

However, the packers have a downside. Because they compact and, sometimes, encrypt the code (to make it harder to be "read"), virus creators started to use packers on their creations, so even if an AV knows the actual virus, because the code is packed the threat might go on undetected. And that's why AV products must know how to unpack the files, and scan the real code inside of them. And these files show up in BitDefender as "packed files". :)

Other details about packers can be found on Wikipedia ;)

Cris.

• dmayo
    Options

Cris,

That was a very clear answer to a somewhat vague question. Thanks a lot.

Debitto