Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Best practices to install bitdefender on windows with standard & admin accounts (power user question

Options

Hello,

As a basic security best practice, each Windows PC at home is fitted with 2 accounts : one standard for daily use & one with administrative rights protected with a password for updates to ensure a maximum security at home.

I did not found any recommendation on how to install safely Bitdefender total security ? On which account to install the package ?

• If installed via the admin account how will BD handle updates when using the standard account on a daily basis ?
  • If installed via the standard account how to prevent UAC prompt requiring the knowlege of the admin account

note: I am evaluating your solution as an alternative to Kaspersky total security

Best Answers

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @Dach56 and a warm welcome to Bitdefender and the Community!

Please see my answers below:

• If installed via the admin account how will BD handle updates when using the standard account on a daily basis? -> Bitdefender once installed, runs as SYSTEM. It will work. it just works, as Todd Howard says 😊
    • If installed via the standard account how to prevent UAC prompt requiring the knowlege of the admin account -> When installing, it will be required. At the agent update, it will be required as well. For normal updates, it won't be required.

As for the installation, theoretically you can perform it from any of the two (of course, you will need admin credentials if you do it from the standard account). It is best to do it from the admin account directly though, in my opinion.

Best regards.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Dach56
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks for your recommandation to install bitdefender via the admin account.

Answers

• How does it behave on a Mac (Monterey)? Should one also install from the admin account here?

• Guilhermesene
    Guilhermesene Defender of the month ✭✭✭
    Options

Just complementing @Alexandru_BD great information. When using the standard account, most of the BD product configuration options are "grayed out", that is, blocked for editing. Therefore, to make any changes to the AV product, it is necessary to log in to the administrative account, make the change and return to the standard account for daily use.

This is great because it prevents undue changes (either by malware or by the user) in the BD.