Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

How to uninstall Bitdefender SafePay

Options

Hi,

I realy hate when my paid applications decide to install to silently install unwanted bloatware, so is there an option to remove it?

I tried looking in Programs and features as well as in Bitdefenders Program Files Folder.

Thank you,

Kicho

Best Answer

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod
    edited July 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Kicho

Safepay has been a feature of Bitdefender since 2013. It is not an add-on or bloatware that installs silently but is a cherished part of Bitdefender's security that many have appreciated over the years, including myself. It cannot be uninstalled.

If you no longer wish to see it on your app Dashboard, you can change that out from the Quick Actions panels and replace it with another.

In the settings, you can disable notifications from Safepay by going to the left-hand side, Privacy/Safepay settings/Settings and disable them all.

Safepay really does bring some great security features to your online banking as well as favorite shopping sites, especially when used with its built-in VPN. Just a thought as far as understanding what it brings to the table :)

From this article:

Features

Bitdefender Safepay offers the following features:

• It blocks access to your desktop and any attempt to take snapshots of your screen.
    • It protects your secret passwords while browsing online with Password Manager.
    • It comes with a virtual keyboard that makes it impossible for hackers to read your keystrokes when used.
    • It is completely independent of your other browsers.
    • It comes with a built-in VPN to be used when your computer is connected to unsecured Wi-Fi networks.
    • It supports bookmarks and allows you to navigate between your favorite banking/shopping sites.
    • It is not limited to banking. Any website can be opened in Bitdefender Safepay.

Kind regards,

Scott

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

Answers

• The Safepay popup is the most annoying thing I cannot get rid of on my laptop. It pops up for every safe site I regularly visit>

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Lawrence Leger

Hello.

Open your Bitdefender program and go to:

1. Settings -> General and disable "Special offers" and "Recommendation notifications" (for the "Password Manager" notification)

2. Protection -> Antivirus -> Settings -> Scan flash drives and select "Autoscan" or "Disabled", do not select "Ask every time" (for the "USB Immunizer Recommendation" notification)

3. Protection -> Antivirus -> Settings -> Scan CD & DVD and select "Autoscan" or "Disabled", do not select "Ask every time" (for the "CD/DVD Recommendation" notification)

4. Privacy -> Safepay -> Settings and disable "Safepay notifications" and "Automatically open Bitdefender Safepay"

5. Privacy -> Video & Audio Protection -> Settings and disable "Notify when allowed applications connect to the webcam", "Notify when an application tries to access the microphone" and "Notify when browsers access the microphone"

6. Utilities -> Profiles -> Settings and disable "Activate profiles automatically" (for the Profile notification)

After doing that, in the future no pop-up notifications will be displayed in the lower right corner of your screen.

REMEMBER: When a threat is detected, a pop-up notification will be displayed in the lower right corner of your screen and you can't disable those pop-up notifications.

Next, as an option to fully disable the Bitdefender alerts and pop-ups, open your Bitdefender program, go to Utilities -> Profiles -> Settings and enable/activate "Work Profile" or "Game Profile".

When "Work Profile" or "Game Profile" is enabled/activated, all Bitdefender alerts and pop-ups are disabled.

Finally, as for the Bitdefender VPN pop-ups, you can simply uninstall Bitdefender VPN from your device by following the steps provided here (just select "Bitdefender VPN"):

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/2791/

or

open the Bitdefender VPN program, go to Settings -> Notifications and disable "Allow notifications".

It is recommended that you also review the privacy preferences set in your Bitdefender Central account:

1. On any internet-connected device launch a web browser, visit https://central.bitdefender.com and sign in to your Bitdefender Central account.

2. Click on your username in the top right corner and select "Bitdefender Account" in the menu. This option will launch in a new browser tab.

3. Access the "Data & Privacy" tab, then click on the "Privacy preferences" section.

4. Uncheck both boxes to stop promotional messages:

- Receive in product insights regarding threats, news, and offers.

- Receive insights regarding threats, news, and offers via email.

Regards.

• @Scott , what do you do when you disable all the settings you suggest in your post above and the Safepay notifications continue to pop-up? David

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

@David Traxx if the settings don't apply as expected, try this repair procedure:

This should normally fix it.

Let us know how it goes.

Regads,

Alex

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• paolof
    Options

Even disabling all the Privacy/Safepay settings, annoying pop-ups continuously appear at every page of my home banking.

How can I disable that for ever?

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @paolof,

If your Safepay settings look like this, yet you still receive recommendations to use the secure browser, kindly get in touch with the Support teams for further investigation:

Regards,

Alex

• paolof
    Options

Hello Alex,

Thanks for your message.

Actually, as soon as I disable the three switches showed in your screenshot, they appear disabled indeed (but Safepay does not stop to appear). However, the next time I start my PC I find the first two switches enabled again. This happens in another computer as well.

- Paolo

• Gjoksi
    Options

@paolof

However, the next time I start my PC I find the first two switches enabled again. This happens in another computer as well.

Hello.

This is a known bug and has been reported by me two months ago.

I still experience the same issue/bug.

And this is the email i got from Bitdefender Support on 19th Jan 2024:

"Hello,

Thank you for your patience while waiting for my reply.

This is a follow-up email regarding the bug report that you have sent us. I'd like to inform you that our development team is still working a fix and it’s taking a bit more than usual. As previously mentioned, the fix will be automatically released through Bitdefender product updates, with no other actions requested from your side.

Please let me know if you would still like to receive updates about this case in the future. In the meantime, I am here to help if you have other cyber-security questions.

Stay safe and have a great day!

Kind Regards,

Andrei M.

Senior Technical Support Engineer"

Regards.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hi @Gjoksi,

Yes, there are a few occurences where restarting the computer will make the Safepay settings reset to previous values. This behavior has been observed only for Safepay settings and there is indeed an open task to fix this.

Regards

• Gjoksi
    Options

@paolof @Alexandru_BD

Hello.

This is the e-mail i got yesterday:

Cheers.

• Gjoksi
    Options

UPDATE:

It seems that the issue hasn't been solved by the latest build:

I replied back to Andrei M.

Regards.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Ok so here there are actually two issues that are being handled separately. The first one involves just the Safepay notifications that sometimes appear to be triggered even if they are disabled. The second investigation has to do with the Safepay module settings that apparently reset after computer restart, basically here we are referring to all its settings, not just the one for notifications. It's possible that only the fix for the notifications was included in the latest update and the second issue will be addressed later on with a hotfix.

• sbj
    Options

Neither of the issues were fixed in build 27.0.27.130 pictured above. Notifications still appear (Chrome and Edge) and settings reset after computer restart. This is spectacularly annoying...I'm very close to just buying a different solution than Bitdefender...

• Gjoksi
    Options

Hello.

In my case, for the second investigation that has to do with the Safepay module settings that apparently reset after computer restart, yesterday i got this e-mail:

"Hello,

Thank you for your follow-up e-mail.

As mentioned previously on the ticket, a fix for this Bitdefender behavior is still undergoing development. We do not have an estimated time for the release of the fix yet, but we will contact you as soon as it's implemented by an automatic update of Bitdefender. Please keep in mind that all reported bugs require investigation time. Since product updates are usually released once a month it may take at least 1 month until a fix is implemented in the product - this does not include the debugging period.

Also, once the fix is up we will extend the validity of your subscription by the amount of time it took to resolve the issue and to compensate for the inconvenience.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. Rest assured that we will contact you again as soon as the fix is released.

Kind Regards,

Andrei M.

Senior Technical Support Engineer"

Regards.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

• camarie
    camarie Principal Software Developer BD Staff
    Options

I can confirm the fix has not made it into the last update, but it will be included in the next one. My estimation is this will be live around the next Thursday (if we do not discover some last minute things to go into that might delay).

• MindfulTally
    Options

This issue will drive a person mad. I spend more time clicking the "x" in the safe pay popup than I do getting my actual work done. As an accounting firm dealing with financial information all the time, this is a really frustrating time sink. I'm happy to hear it is being worked on, but if it isn't resolved soon I am going to have to shop for other antivirus software. This issue has been persisting the entire time I have owned the product.

• camarie
    Options

The settings not persisted across restarts (and therefore silencing the notifications were affected) is now fixed and it should be on the last update.

• MindfulTally
    Options

@camarie This is not fixed. It just happened again after a restart. Even when the notifications are turned off, the pop ups continue to show up. Frustrating! Time to begin shopping for something else.

• camarie
    Options

Can you post a picture of such a notification, please? It can be also a notification from VPN and I want to make sure it is indeed the one from Safepay.

• camarie
    Options

Ok, so it is indeed the notification from Safepay. And in the main interface if you go in Privacy - Safepay - Settings - Settings, the Safepay notifications is set to OFF or is still ON?

Maybe the value did not get saved for some reason, can you try to set it to ON and then to OFF and let me know if this still manifests?

• paolof
    Options

Something changed. Now the three Safepay/Settings switches are disabled, even after rebooting my computer.

Nonetheless, the annoying Open Safepay notification still appears.

Thanks!

• MindfulTally
    Options

I've been turning it off repeatedly for months. Currently all three Safepay Settings are toggled off, but the pop ups persist. (Same behavior as @paolof is experiencing).

• camarie
    Options

@MindfulTally Are you updated on the latest version  27.0.30.140 ?

• MindfulTally
    Options

@camarie Yes, I am on the latest version. The settings are still toggled off today, but the pop ups are still happening. Not only are they popping up but I have to click out of them multiple times before they go away. I just need to get through the tax deadlines so I can shop for other software. I can not continue being constantly interrupted by a pop up that won't go away. Otherwise, the software has been great, but this is a deal breaker.

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@MindfulTally ,

I am not experiencing the same issue. I wonder if your Bitdefender installation might be corrupted . . . It is possible that a repair install might clear the issue, so you can carry on your work uninterrupted.

Before going to all that time and trouble, I wonder . . .

If you have "Fast Startup" enabled, disabling that and rebooting your computer might help. It is known to cause weird and not-so-wonderful problems as is Hibernation.

Regularly rebooting your computer also clears some issues.

I have both Fast Startup and Hibernation turned off on my PCs.

Just a few thoughts before @camarie responds. Have a great day.

Regards,

Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• camarie
    Options

Did the update asked you for a restart? And, if so, did you restart the affected computer?

• MindfulTally
    Options

@camarie Yes, my computer has been restarted many times since this conversation was started.

@garioch7 Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I appreciate the ideas. I tried to do the repair today, and reconfigured the settings for all popups/ads + safepay settings. I am crossing my fingers that will do the trick. I'll be back if the issue persists.

Thank you to both of you for trying to help.

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@MindfulTally ,

Thanks for posting back. Yes, we would like to know how it goes.

Good luck, and have a great day.

Regards,

Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• MindfulTally
    Options

@garioch7 @camarie The popup is persisting. I give up. I'm trying another product. Thank you so much for trying to help. This popup is literally the only problem I have had with Bitdefender, but I can't click the X button one more time when trying to do my work. Uninstalling today.

• camarie
    Options

Sorry to see you go. I would have asked you to endure until the next update, but obviously I can only hope.