installation problems

Answers

• Davidwf
    Davidwf
    edited August 20

I had to re-install BD total security on two of my devices after hardware changes…..a PC and a Dell laptop

I completely un-installed and re-installed from both the PC and the Dell.

I then re-installed using the “install on this device” link in central doing the PC first and it appeared in my devices in central as “PC” with the correct vendor and MAC address, after waiting a few minutes for PC to finish its scan and install I started install on Dell and almost immediately “PC” in my devices (in central) was replaced by “Dell” but the vendor and MAC were still that of PC, and on the PC itself in Bitdefender in the my account area in the top right corner it had changed to Dell

I then un-installed it from Dell and after switch user / re-logging in on the PC it immediately changed back to PC in my devices.

To rule out any possibility of home network issues I then tethered the Dell laptop to my mobile phone, turned off wireless completely on my router and commenced download using only my mobile phone data and within a few moments noted that the PC displayed “Dell” as it did in my devices on central although the vendo name and MAC address were still that of PC

I aborted the install and have now temporarily un-installed it completely from Dell

I can see no reason as to how this can be happening, the Dell is a stand alone laptop and the PC is a stand alone PC

• Hello @Davidwf,

This sounds like the issue described in the article below:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/8155/

Can you check and let us know if this is the case?

Regards,

Alex

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Hi, yes it does LOOK like that problem….except that the devices do have their own unique MAC addresses

I don’t use VPN and all the VMware virtual adaptors are, and always have been disabled

I have already forwarded screenshots showing the MAC addresses of both devices in the last chat

It was interesting to note that during installation, the VPN folder appears first and that is when the device name changes – i.e. during installation

This never used to happen and has previously not been an issue

• Hi and thanks for following up. I understand. Well, if you already contacted the Support engineers via chat, do you still have an open ticket with them? It would be interesting to hear their input on this. I also use Total Security on a virtual machine, but running it only on one device for various tests.

• Thanks. I'll ask my colleagues to get back to you on this case as soon as possible.

• Davidwf
    Davidwf
    edited August 21

Hello,Thank you once again for your patience and understanding regarding this case.

I have looked into the case and it seems that the situation is caused by an issue that has already been acknowledged by our development team. We are currently working on a fix that will be done by means of an automatic update and won't require any additional action on your end.

Please note that the issue in question is just a visual glitch where Bitdefender Central sees 2 devices as one, as long as you have the product installed on both machines, they will be protected.As a workaround, we can split your subscription and activate the product on a different account so you can monitor both of the devices on individual accounts. If you wish to proceed with the workaround, please create a new account at and provide me with the email address of the account so I can apply the changes.Have a lovely day ahead!

Kind Regards,

Andrei M.

Senior Technical Support Engineer