windows updates

Why does bitdefender say in notifications that there's a critical windows update, but if I go into windows and check for updates, it says I'm up to date?

Answers

• Hello @lady74 and welcome to the community.

Does the notification refer to an actual Windows update, or a Windows Defender update? I'm asking because Bitdefender registers in the security center as an antivirus provider and Microsoft automatically deactivates Windows Defender, thus it is not necessary to update Windows Defender in this scenario.

The notification you receive most likely comes from the Vulnerability Scan, and this is done by category, so the notification in this case appears there because these updates are taken as being in the category of critical updates for Windows. As such, you can simply disregard that message, at least until they find a better way to deal with this.

If possible, kindly let us know exactly what the notifications says.

Thank you,

Alex

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Alex,

Thanks for replying. The notification said "Warning → Critical windows update required. Vulnerability scan completed successfully. There is a new update for your system". I know Windows Defender was deactivated. That's why I had to go up a step with Bitdefender merely to have a firewall. You said: "I can simply disregard that message, at least until they find a better way to deal with this". So, I should disregard a critical update? And, who is they - Microsoft?

• Hi,

This usually indicates an issue with Windows update itself, not necessarily a Bitdefender issue. Check again if Windows updates work:

1. Type windows update in the search bar next to the Start menu and hit Enter.
    2. In the Update screen, click on Check for updates and follow the on-screen steps.

If it shows there are no updates or Windows Updates fail to install, use the Windows Update Troubleshooter from this link:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-client/installing-updates-features-roles/additional-resources-for-windows-update

Download and run the tool that corresponds to your OS. Run a new Vulnerability scan at the end, to ensure the situation is resolved. If the issue persists, you can also reach out to Bitdefender Support for further advice. Should you require additional assistance on this matter, you can choose from the contact channels listed here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

State your contact reason / choose request category, then choose from the available contact channels, chat, phone and email/ticket. Chat would be the fastest way to reach them.

Regards,

Alex

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user