How effective is bd File Shredder?

I am using BD since 2023 and I want to know how reliable File Shredder is

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    Answer ✓

Hello,

Correct, the Bitdefender File Shredder permanently deletes data by physically removing it from the hard drive.
    It runs 3 deletion passes on
    a file and overwrites it with random data so it cannot be recovered. Like the notification before deletion says, files shredded this way cannot be retrieved anymore because action is irreversible. So I would say it's very effective. 🙂

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/2179/

Regards,

Alex

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Flexx
    Flexx mod
    Answer ✓

While the most well-known and longest shredding algorithm is the Gutmann algorithm, which uses 35 passes, the company Protectstar, which has one of the best file shredders, uses 50 passes in its Protectstar SDA (2007). It seems that if a person uses an SSD, a 35-pass or 50-pass method will definitely shorten its lifespan more quickly, whereas for a hard disk drive, it may take a longer time.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

Answers

• Hello.

According to @Alexandru_BD, who works for Bitdefender, File Shredder runs 3 (three) deletion passes on a file and overwrites it with random data so it cannot be recovered.

There are softwares that offer 7 and even 35 passes, but i think that 3 passes would be enough to wipe your folders/files.

Regards.