Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Ms Update Weird!

Options

Hello--

I had an alert that MS needed to update. I clicked to go ahead. LONG, LONG process, where forever it said it was analyzing my files. Finally the update started. It progressed for quite some time with Update Wizard window, and then I got a BD alert that something was trying to make a change on my registry, did I want to allow it? I figured it was part of the MS update, but then below that, there was no MS Corporation shown, and there was a note on the BD window that said BD did not recognize it as a legitimate company, and to not allow it unless I knew where it was coming from. I hit "Deny," and unchecked "Remember this choice." Then same window again, and I repeated same action again.

Whereupon, after a few minutes I got another screen that said Service Pack 3 Update had failed. (I think I only have Service Pack 2). So now it proceeded with a 2nd window to uninstall everything. There was something about "restoring catalog" and then "deleting files" (I assume the updates).

Okay (this is happening right now). There are TWO windows up. One is entitled "Software Update Removal Wizard" which has been apparently removing whatever updates it did so far. But there's another window active also, which says "Automatic Updates" and there's a progress bar that I don't think has moved since this "we don't know who this company is" message. It seems to just be sitting there.

What do I do with all this???????

Comments

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

What version of BitDefender do you have ?

• What version of BitDefender do you have ?

V10, Build 247

Also, may be unrelated, but my computer has been reeeeally slow lately. I've done defrags. But I sure have to re-boot a lot. I often get a screen "Virtual memory too low," and that computer is freeing up space.

The update on the MS updater thing though... after it told me it was cancelling, I got a window that said updates won't go into effect until I re-boot. And another window that said partial update had been done, and that XP may not act right when I reboot.

I'm kind of afraid at this point to reboot it! Even though I'm getting that virtual memory too low screen.

• Plus... I keep getting, about every 10 minutes, a pop-up, "Updates are almost complete, you have to re-start windows, do you want to do it now or later?" I click later. I'm serious, I'm sort of afraid to reboot the thing pending anything you can tell me regarding what's going on.

• Niels
    Options

Hello C-1000,

A warning for the future if your installing software or downloading windows updates these programs always need to write into the registry. You should only deny registry changes when you are not installing software or updates. If you don't do you can have problems booting your computer that is only the case for windows updates. For normal software the software just will not run properly but you should be aware with security software.

Open BitDefender navigate to the antispyware section press on advanced settings,click on the registry tab. Now select the entry that you have blocked and uncheck the box. I recommend that you uninstall service pack 3 by following these instructions. Run windows update again. If BitDefender registry control alerts again accept it.

Kind regards,

Niels

• Neils, it just seemed rather strange that BD did not recognize, as legitimate, the source that wanted to make changes to my registry! There also was no company listed where MS normally appears on the BD popup. Had that not been the case, then I would have accepted the changes. I do not understand why I didn't see MS shown at all (for that matter, no company shown at all) OR why I got the BD window that specifically warned me NOT to accept access if I didn't know the company. How can I know a company when it is not even listed?

• Hi Neils--

I've been at this for quite some time. First, I did what you said. The only things that were listed in Spyware--->Advanced Settings---> Registry were three items (no dates). Next to each one, it said "Permit." And the boxes had checkmarks in them. I unchecked them.

I then tried to uninstall SP3 via the link you sent me, using Add/Remove Programs. I saw nothing whatsoever referring to SP3, nor was there any entry for today's date. As I had mentioned, I think the update uninstalled itself after I had refused changes to my registry when, along with the permission request shown on BD, there was a notation that BD did not recognize the changing source as legitimate, and said to deny permission if I didn't know where it was coming from (which I didn't without any source ID shown). So I think it did uninstall then and there.

I kept getting nag screens to re-boot, and held my breath and did it. Things were working slowly and not well. So once again, at some point (on about the 3rd reboot), BD started installing the SP3 update.

After a LONG while, as it was analyzing my configuration, etc.etc.etc., it started installing updates. And that took quite a while also. THEN, I got a screen that said "A device attaached to the sytem is not functioning." No reference to what that was, no button to click for more info. So I clicked, "Okay."

At which point it started uinstalling itself again! :unsure:

I don't know if this is a BD question, other than the fact that BD told me not to permit registry changes if I didn't know where they were from, because it said that it didn't.

What do I need SP3 for anyway? And how the heck can I install it if it says a device is not functioning and it then promptly uninstalls itself??? This is a little crazymaking, to say the least. Hoping that you can suggest something.

Thanks,

Carol

• C-1000
    edited August 2008
    Options

Well, if I said something wrong, I have no idea what it was. Or if this is the wrong forum to ask BD questions such as mine, I'd appreciate knowing that.

• Niels
    Options

Hello C-1000,

BitDefender reads the properties but sometimes there aren't properties or not all information such as the vendor supplied and that is also the reason why you sometimes don't see the company.

Sorry for the delay. No you didn't said anything wrong. To clarify things I don't work for BitDefender I am only a normal user. Only people who are super moderator or virus researchers/analysts work for BitDefender. That is the reason why I sometimes don't respond because I have to do other things beside this forum.

"A device attached to the system is not functioning"

Please do this click on start,run,now type devmgmt.msc press enter. Go to the view menu and select show hidden devices. Expand each category (keyboards,display adaptors) by pressing on the +-icon. Now right click on each sub entry and click on properties,click on the status tab verify what the device status is. If there are problems please post with what device and the error message.

That error message is a windows related issue.

Kind regards,

Niels