Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Outlook Express Won't Close

Options

I use BitDefender Antivirus Plus v.10 on two computers running XP Home. When I have email scanning enabled Outlook Express will not shut down or hang for a long time before shutting down. Ideas appreciated.

Comments

• Sjoeii
    Options

Have you tried closing BitDefender and then closing Outlook?

Than we know if iy's BitDefender or not

• Niels
    Options

Try to compress old mails in outlook express and delete also the removed mails that are stored in the trash folder.

Open also taskmanagement by pressing on control+alt+del(ete) then go to processes and press 2x on the cpu tab and see which process is using lots of CPU. If it's bdss.exe then it's bd related. You can kill the process but after that you must restart the bitdefender virus scan service by going to start,run,at the run dialog box type services.msc press enter and press on the bitdefender virusshield service and press on start.

Regards

Niels

• adkr
    Options
    Have you tried closing BitDefender and then closing Outlook?

Than we know if iy's BitDefender or not

I have closed BitDefender and it does take care of the problem. That means, I hope, it is a Bitdefender problem. However, I am curious that it has not been a problem on this board and that I have on both my computers. That leads me to think it is something I have done. Thanks.

• adkr
    Options
    Try to compress old mails in outlook express and delete also the removed mails that are stored in the trash folder.

Open also taskmanagement by pressing on control+alt+del(ete) then go to processes and press 2x on the cpu tab and see which process is using lots of CPU. If it's bdss.exe then it's bd related. You can kill the process but after that you must restart the bitdefender virus scan service by going to start,run,at the run dialog box type services.msc press enter and press on the bitdefender virusshield service and press on start.

Regards

Niels

My email is compressed regularly and I do not store them. When I look at the processes it is the bdss.exe that hangs up and continues to run. I do kill the process and restart BitDefender. I want to find a way not to have to do that. Thanks for your suggestions.

• adkr
    Options

Here is the fix that I received from BitDefender Support. It works.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The workaround in this situation is the following:

1. The Antispam module from BitDefender must be enabled.

2. Start Outlook Express.

3. From the OE menu open the Message Rules window (Tools ->

Message Rules - Mail).

4. From the Mail Rules tab of the Message Rules window, delete all the rules

with the name Bitdefender Antispam and then hit OK.

Our team has acknowledged the issue and already begun to analyze the possible

fixing methods. The final fix will be available at a later moment and you will

be noticed of its existence.

• Niels
    Options

Good that you solved your problem. Thanks also for posting the solution for others. On my second pc that has outlook express as mailclient I don't have the problem. But every pc configuration is different. That was gladly done.

bdss.exe is used for realtime scanning. You can reduce the cpu usage by opening BD go to antivirus,shield,adjusted level then you can exclude a path that you know it's clean. You can also enable the option don't scan files larger then ... (fill in any value) and confirm by pressing on ok.

Regards

Niels

• cdr2000
    Options
    Good that you solved your problem. Thanks also for posting the solution for others. On my second pc that has outlook express as mailclient I don't have the problem. But every pc configuration is different. That was gladly done.

bdss.exe is used for realtime scanning. You can reduce the cpu usage by opening BD go to antivirus,shield,adjusted level then you can exclude a path that you know it's clean. You can also enable the option don't scan files larger then ... (fill in any value) and confirm by pressing on ok.

Regards

Niels

Niels, Sorry if this is not the best point to reply. I just re-installed BD AV+ v.10, and I also experienced a problem with its antispam actions and OE. Even though it's set on "permissive," it marks some legitimate mail as spam/phishing, then deletes it. I tried removing all the BD antispam message rules in OE. The problem is that everytime BD loads up when I turn on my computer, it reloads the BD Antispam message rule. The modified setting doesn't hold.

And what also is a problem is that I tried to create my own message rule that would function first, before the BD rule, and solve the problem. Again, although I moved the BD rule down on the list, each time I log onto my computer, the BD message rule has moved back up to the top of the rules list! So, I can't even devise a temporary fix, other than disasbling BD antispam, which I really don't want to do. Just thought I'd add my experience, here.

Thanks!

• Niels
    Options

Hello CDR

Sometimes BitDefender antispam incorrectly detects some mails as spam/phising mails. If you want to allow it select the mail and press on no spam. You also have to make a list of spammers and friends and you also have to mark spammails to teach the antispam filter. To do that I will give you this example: you don't want to receive mails from the domain @spammer.la so you have to do this press on spammers on the BitDefender antispam toolbar and select domain name and than type *@spammer.la and press on ok. But be carefull because when someone of your friends uses the same provider these mails will also be marked as spam.If you want to add an email address you have to select email address and type the spammers email address and press on the add icon and press on ok. To add friends you can do the same. For your other problem you can try this you can move your rule by selecting and press on up ( I use a non-English version but you will find an option but mayby with a different name). Normally when you configure BitDefender antispam than you don't have to create separate rules in outlook express.

Regards

Niels

• Possible there is a error, which may broach files finding in Outlook Express, in this situation, i advise fix outlook express, allow to fix Outlook Express folders easy and quickly, fix Outlook Express 6 errors and can fixing Outlook Express damaged DBX files, also fix process is over, and you get the completely fixed Outlook Express folder, support repairing dbx files with a size up to 4Gb and fixing of the attached files are obligatory.