Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender Security Service has Stopped Working

Options
jeisner
edited May 2007 in General talk

Every day, maybe more than once I get a Windows warning box coming up under Vista telling me the vssser.exe has stopped running (see error below).. This has always happened and no updates so far have fixed it.. My renewel is up and I am trying to decide whether to renew..

Does anyone know of a solution for this problem? Its a weird as after it occurs I immediately check running processes and vsserv.exe is still running and a few hours later without restarting the computer I can get the same error..

original.jpg

Comments

• jeisner
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Every day, maybe more than once I get a Windows warning box coming up under Vista telling me the vssser.exe has stopped running (see error below).. This has always happened and no updates so far have fixed it.. My renewel is up and I am trying to decide whether to renew..

Does anyone know of a solution for this problem? Its a weird as after it occurs I immediately check running processes and vsserv.exe is still running and a few hours later without restarting the computer I can get the same error..

OK sometimes it seems to be hourly...

mmm seems to be a common unsolved problem??

http://forum.bitdefender.com/lofiversion/index.php/t40.html

• It could be because of the operating system, since ntdll.dll is a part of it. I sometimes get the same error (however, in about 1 year I got that error 2 or 3 times).

• jeisner
    Options
    It could be because of the operating system, since ntdll.dll is a part of it. I sometimes get the same error (however, in about 1 year I got that error 2 or 3 times).

I only use my laptop after work, and seem for the last few months to get it at least a few times EVERY night.. Maybe on update?? others in the thread I posted have the same problem, even on fresh Vista installs.. I'm sure it is a Vista problem as I own multiple Bitdefender licences and on winxp I have no problem, only on vista.. But still I only get that error with Bitdefender. I even tried the Kaspersky trial and get no similar errors. Thats why I want to give Bitdefender a chance to address the issue before my licence expires..

• Vsserv.exe is the BitDefender security Service. Try to deactivate automatic updates for a few hours and see if you get the same error. Is the firewall still running after you get the error?

• jeisner
    Options
    Vsserv.exe is the BitDefender security Service. Try to deactivate automatic updates for a few hours and see if you get the same error. Is the firewall still running after you get the error?

Yep firewall still running, it seems to stop and cause the windows error dialog, but it does restart itself. Its just a bit of a pain.. I will turn off auto-update and see how it goes..

• jeisner
    edited May 2007
    Options

I uninstalled and reinstalled with the latest installer, same problem and it wasn't caused by update either...

I also contacted support just over 24 hours ago and directed them to this and the other thread on the same issue, I have not had any response, as yet..

• Niels
    Options

Hi Joel

Try this rightclick on computer,properties,advanced system settings,settings,data execution protection,Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select. Press on the add button,now browse to X:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender10\vsserv.exe (Change x by the letter where you installed vista on) I only posted the path when you don't have changed the path during installation) press on open and after that on ok.

Regards

Niels

• wezman
    Options

bit defender is a long, long way from being 'Vista ready'. there is this problem along with Windows Update not working if real time virus protection is running, yet they do nothing about it...

• Arco
    edited May 2007
    Options
    bit defender is a long, long way from being 'Vista ready'. there is this problem along with Windows Update not working if real time virus protection is running, yet they do nothing about it...

True, on all the Windows Vista pc's and notebook i've sold latley, i'm experiencing the same problems.

- Bitdefender Security Service error after updating.

- 2007 not being able to save any files on a networkshare.

- Vsserv.exe randomly crashing, and then not being able to send an error report to the Bitdefender Labs.

- Vista not being able to update untill the Bitdefender real time virus protection is disabled.

- Live Update not being able to restart Bitdefender Services and therefor no operational Antivirus Protection.

Even with Live assistance, I'm not coming any further.

If this will continue this way I'll need to start looking for another Antivirus Software to sell. I can't keep on selling Bitdefender Antivirus like this, every week i'm a least a couple of hours busy keeping track on complaints or errors Bitdefender is giving me..... A least one customer has already bought McAfee... for his business to cover his network security needs.

• chas
    Options

Emailed Support 8 hours ago -- no reply. Though I was very impressed with Live Assistance on another issue, tried initiating Live Assistance this morniing; couldn't start a session (??).

Niels suggestion sounded good. Tried it and 2 hours later same error " ... the BitDefender Security Service stopped working and was closed ... "

I've installed BD AV & IS on dozens of XP & Vista PCs since last summer. This issue -- and Support's silence -- stumps me.

• Hi Joel

Try this rightclick on computer,properties,advanced system settings,settings,data execution protection,Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select. Press on the add button,now browse to X:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender10\vsserv.exe (Change x by the letter where you installed vista on) I only posted the path when you don't have changed the path during installation) press on open and after that on ok.

Regards

Niels

Hi,

Tried this myself and did not work. I did notice that this problem appears to happen at least on my machine when an online window is still running in the background and working on a window that is not internet related like games on the PC itself. After a while, the error will pop up. Not sure for how long it is unprotected or if it is just momentary. Any other thoughts or fixes?

Thanks Phil

• Niels
    Options

Hi Phil

You can try this also. Rightclick on the installation folder of BitDefender which is by default Softwin. Choose properties, compatibility,Windows XP (service pack2). Try also to check the different settings don't forget to confirm by pressing on apply and ok.

Regards

Niels

• chas
    Options
    Hi Phil

You can try this also. Rightclick on the installation folder of BitDefender which is by default Softwin. Choose properties, compatibility,Windows XP (service pack2). Try also to check the different settings don't forget to confirm by pressing on apply and ok.

Regards

Niels

Actually, Support did get back early the next morning requesting that I run config collecting tools after a repeat of this issue. Finally, my client got the error again and I sent the logs to Support this AM.

As far as I can tell, BD isn't having a problem, Vista Business is having a problem with it -- all BD services appear to be running. Of course, having a pop up that AV isn't working is most worrisome for my client.

Niels, I'll try this suggestion next time I'm at my clients & report back. Thanks!

- Chas

• Niels
    Options

Hi Chas

Support will assist you further. I contacted them also in the past and they offered me after some mails a working solution. If all services that has BitDefender in the name are running then BD is working.

But I agree that it's confusing when you receive a pop-up that BD isn't working will worry most people.

I don't know another solution then the two I suggested before. Hopefully it will work.

Regards

Niels

• Has a resolution been found to this issue? It happens to me four or fives times a day, every day. Same error message. It appears BD is still up and running when it happens.

• Excellent news. I always felt confident security was not compromised when this happened, but it is very annoying. At least BD is working on it.

• chas
    Options

... meanwhile ... 2.5 months later ...

I hope this is addressed in 11!

• Judging from the view numbers of this thread (2316), I'd say many others are having this problem too.

I started a ticket with the BitDefender support team. They want us to download a sysdump utility and also create

a log file of the vsserv.log file. I could justify doing this if this software was FREE. Never had to do this with Norton or McAfee.

• Ivo
    Options

Dont count on a fix for this problem. A soon as BD11 is out you will be asked to upgrade if you are having this problem. They will not spend any time on a product that will be replaced in a month. This will count for any open/unsolved BD10 problem.

To upgrade to BD11 will be free.

• Unfortunately the problem is still there with BD 11 and dunno if it was doing that to you too, but to me, after i get this error, my whole vista is crashing, i cant open any programm or it takes thousand years to load.

But it seems to happen "only" when i try to open the security center or to update, cool eh?

• Unfortunately the problem is still there with BD 11 and dunno if it was doing that to you too, but to me, after i get this error, my whole vista is crashing, i cant open any programm or it takes thousand years to load.

But it seems to happen "only" when i try to open the security center or to update, cool eh?

I have the same problem under Vista Business 64bit. In 1 of 10 times when I reboot my system. BitDefender Antivirus 2008 crashes and I get an error box asking me to send and report to bitdefender about vsserv.exe not working anymore. When I click next then I get another error message that the report couldnt send. Its an very anoying thing that it isnt fixed yet after half an year.