Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Last Update Crashed Bd

Options

I just ran the update for BitDefender AV 2009. It downloaded about 5megs of updates, then prompted me to reboot. When the system came up BitDefender would not run. It crashes with the message: "This application has failed to start because ProductInfo.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

Anyone else experience this today?

Any resolutions?

-Steve-

Comments

• I just ran the update for BitDefender AV 2009. It downloaded about 5megs of updates, then prompted me to reboot. When the system came up BitDefender would not run. It crashes with the message: "This application has failed to start because ProductInfo.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

Anyone else experience this today?

Any resolutions?

-Steve-

Well, same thing here.. It didnt even let me uninstall it. I did uninstall using uninstallation tool and rebooted and then it gave me hardware error and had to restore computer from restorepoint. Nice work guys!

• Well, same thing here.. It didnt even let me uninstall it. I did uninstall using uninstallation tool and rebooted and then it gave me hardware error and had to restore computer from restorepoint. Nice work guys!

Everythink's ok! As i seen many bugs fixed and this one is more stable than others. For ex. dw20.exe dll initilization error fixed.

• It's the last update for the 12.0.11?

got the same thing, reinstalled....now it wont update....brilliant....

• user333
    edited November 2008
    Options

same problem here. seccenter.exe messagee concerning cannot find productinfo.dll. any solutions???

***update 1

so i did a restore to a previous point, everything is back to normal. other people in my office did not have the same problem after reboot. odd behavior. my suggestion is to do a restore to a previous point.

If a bitdefender monitor is looking at this, you should chime in and offer some suggestions...you're just making users mad by standing on the sideline

***update 2

And, no i did not do the whole uninstall and reinstall process because doing a 'restore to previous point' is easier.

• Same thing here. Running BidDefender Antivirus 2009 on Win XP, SP2. After downloading an update, BD requested a re-boot. Now bdagent.exe fails to start because of a missing component, ProductInfo.dll. Also, seccenter.exe fails to start when trying to access the control panel, again because ProductInfo.dll is missing. Also, the Bitdefender Threat Scanner that runs under an svchost.exe process has also stopped running, which may be why I don't get the scanner pop-up when downloading email. Either this wasn't tested, or your change management procedure needs some work.

Since I'm running Norton GoBack, I'll try to avoid Bitdefenderrulz problems by just reverting the drive, then disabling any updates until I see it's been fixed.

• Same here.

Had to reinstall.

What's going on ??

Yeah, support had me run the "repair". I did, and now it won't update. Support said they're sending me a some diag tools. We'll see how that turns out. I'm still waiting for them to show up.

• user333
    edited November 2008
    Options

***update 3

bitdefender again downloaded something and asked to reboot. Fool me once...i'll wait a few more days before rebooting and hopefully bitdefender will have fixed the problem with the next auto updates. thankfully, bitdefender did not turn off when i said 'no' to the reboot request.

• ***update 3

bitdefender again downloaded something and asked to reboot. Fool me once...i'll wait a few more days before rebooting and hopefully bitdefender will have fixed the problem with the next auto updates. thankfully, bitdefender did not turn off when i said 'no' to the reboot request.

***update 4

so i updated bitdefender again, it downloaded some additional files, rebooted and now there is no problem. Go figure... i guess the first update was a bad update and now i no longer have the productinfo.dll error message. all is well :)

• Same problem with today's update here!

I posted my problem here:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=10016

• I have BD crashing after certain updates on a far too frequent basis, and on 3 PCs! What gives with the update server freezing BD? Especially BD AV 10 PAID!

• Same problem here. Tried the repair(what a drag... uninstall and reinstall) and afterwards I could not update! The solution for me was to revert to BD2008 since I find BD2009 to unstable. I actually find it amazing that Bitdefender release such crappy and unstable software. Do they not test their software internally or do they simply rely on the paying customers to do it for them?

I was very close to totally dump BD and go for Avast. The only things holding me back is that I have 200 days left on my account.

/Buffalo Bill

• BXS
    Options

No problems here... Did have major problems when I first switched to 2009 from 2008, fixed it though(works as described now).

Don't even worry about BD stuff, i suggest reviewing your services.msc to make sure the needed services are running...

I will review the services soon to make sure what needs to be active for BD to do what it's supposed to. In the meanwhile, get acquainted with your OS, as it seems, at least in my case (WinXP Pro SP3), that was the ONLY culprit.

More to come....

PS: Spent 8-12 hours messing with everything. but everything works finally. Just need to make sure which services need to be up and at what setting.

• No problems here... Did have major problems when I first switched to 2009 from 2008, fixed it though(works as described now).

Don't even worry about BD stuff, i suggest reviewing your services.msc to make sure the needed services are running...

I will review the services soon to make sure what needs to be active for BD to do what it's supposed to. In the meanwhile, get acquainted with your OS, as it seems, at least in my case (WinXP Pro SP3), that was the ONLY culprit.

More to come....

PS: Spent 8-12 hours messing with everything. but everything works finally. Just need to make sure which services need to be up and at what setting.

Hi BXS.

God for you that it works, but honestly spending 8-12 hours to make a product you paid for work, should NOT be necessary.

I went from DB2008 to BD2009 because of a computer crash, and since I couldn't find my installation files BD "upgraded" me. At first I thought, how nice of them, but I have to say enough is enough and I reverted to BD2008(found the installation file on another web site). I never had any problems with BD2008.

And I do know my OS(Win XP SP3) and I have checked that the various services are running!

/Buffalo Bill

• BXS
    Options
    God for you that it works, but honestly spending 8-12 hours to make a product you paid for work, should NOT be necessary.

I fully agree with that. But i am not getting a refund on it. So it's either whine, or solve it. Solving it, worked faster.

And I do know my OS(Win XP SP3) and I have checked that the various services are running!

/Buffalo Bill

Well, cant say whether you do or don't. In all honesty, I was waiting for a reply from Cris and a few others to see if I can get a go ahead on the following, it's been a couple of days, and as you can see by now, i am impatient. So i will post what i know, and it seems to work for me, give it a try, and plz let me know if it worked for you.

1. Check out http://www.blackviper.com/ , Probably the best info anywhere regarding Windows(2000, ME, XP, Vista, etc) services.

2. List of services running on my box. I have excluded Video Card and other services which i think are irrelevant.

________________________________________________________________________________

Name

Status---------------------------Startup Type

Application Management

Started--------------------------Automatic

Automatic Updates

BitDefender Desktop Update Service

BitDefender Threat Scanner

BitDefender Virus Shield

COM+ Event System

Started--------------------------Manual

Cryptographic Services

DCOM Server Process Launcher

DHCP Client

Distributed Link Tracking Client

Distributed Transaction Coordinator

DNS Client

Event Log

Extensible Authentication Protocol Service

Fast User Switching Compatibility

HTTP SSL

IPSEC Services

IPv6 Helper Service

Logical Disk Manager

Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service

Network Connections

Network Location Awareness (NLA)

Plug and Play

Protected Storage

Remote Access Connection Manager

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator

Security Accounts Manager

Security Center

Shell Hardware Detection

SSDP Discovery Service

System Event Notification

Task Scheduler

Telephony

Terminal Services

WebClient

Windows Audio

Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework

Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)

Windows Management Instrumentation

Workstation

________________________________________________________________________________

Hope this helps. If you happen to find that some of these are not necessary let me know so i can possibly update and make a unified list.

BXS.

• Sm3K3R
    Sm3K3R ✭✭✭
    Options
    I fully agree with that. But i am not getting a refund on it. So it's either whine, or solve it. Solving it, worked faster.

Well, cant say whether you do or don't. In all honesty, I was waiting for a reply from Cris and a few others to see if I can get a go ahead on the following, it's been a couple of days, and as you can see by now, i am impatient. So i will post what i know, and it seems to work for me, give it a try, and plz let me know if it worked for you.

1. Check out http://www.blackviper.com/ , Probably the best info anywhere regarding Windows(2000, ME, XP, Vista, etc) services.

2. List of services running on my box. I have excluded Video Card and other services which i think are irrelevant.

Hope this helps. If you happen to find that some of these are not necessary let me know so i can possibly update and make a unified list.

BXS.

I have some observations

- Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)

This should be started and automatic in case a user installes BD 200x Antivirus and has no 3-d party firewall .If the BD suite(TS/IS) has a firewall by its on, its not recommended that the Windows one to be active in same time.Generally 2 firewalls should not run in same time.

-Terminal Services

Terminal Services should be on Automatic with BD 2009 to avoid problems.

-SSDP Discovery Service

This is not a very safe service ,are you sure its really needed for BD to work properly?I find it dangerous to be enabled,Just an opinion.It may be good for users with a LAN network on their own in a safe "area".

• Back to the ProductInfo.dll missing. After using Norton GoBack to revert my drive to before the update, BD Antivirus 2009 ran fine, but I turned off auto update. This afternoon (US Eastern time) I manually ran an update. This time everything is OK. Didn't need to change the loading of any services. My guesses: 1) large update put strain on servers so download was corrupted, with lighter load now, update OK, or 2) Update on one or more servers was messed up, but it's been corrected. Just hope the next auto update doesn't pull a bad update again.

• BXS
    Options
    I have some observations

-SSDP Discovery Service

This is not a very safe service ,are you sure its really needed for BD to work properly?I find it dangerous to be enabled,Just an opinion.It may be good for users with a LAN network on their own in a safe "area".

No, not sure if SSDP Discovery Service is needed, but i am behind a router, so not worried much about it right now. From my list, originally I had about 6-7 services completely disabled, and most were on manual. at least 60% of my list was very different(status and startup) before i got BD 2009 to work. I don't want to start dreaming about services.msc, and it seems if i spend anymore time in that window, that's exactly what would happen :wacko: .

Would be nice if more people could return observations on the processes in relation to BD 2009

• No, not sure if SSDP Discovery Service is needed, but i am behind a router, so not worried much about it right now. From my list, originally I had about 6-7 services completely disabled, and most were on manual. at least 60% of my list was very different(status and startup) before i got BD 2009 to work. I don't want to start dreaming about services.msc, and it seems if i spend anymore time in that window, that's exactly what would happen :wacko: .

Would be nice if more people could return observations on the processes in relation to BD 2009

SSDP Discovery Service is disabled here and BD IS 2009 works fine.

Oh, and the last major update went smooth on my machine so I guess I was lucky this time.

• BXS
    Options
    SSDP Discovery Service is disabled here and BD IS 2009 works fine.

Oh, and the last major update went smooth on my machine so I guess I was lucky this time.

Thanks Viscon, will disable it my box as well. i will start a new thread in regards to this maybe with help from people we can compile a definitive list of services that make this work.

• BXS
    Options
    Consolidation of my rant. Thanks to all who has contributed.