Unable to remove Trojan.Generic.709334

Art Vandelay
edited December 2008 in Malware talk

I'm experiencing a trojan.generic that BitDefender can't remove.

It's Trojan.Generic.709334 located in system32 folder. I tried to manually delete it but it returned after reboot. I cannot locate my dllcache folder either, it is NOT in the windows folder anywhere. any help on this would be great, cheers

Comments

• Dear sir,

Please post new requests in their own topic.

Please search the forums for AVIS and provide us with an AVIS system log.

A GMER log would also help.

Thank you.

• Dear sir,

Please post new requests in their own topic.

Please search the forums for AVIS and provide us with an AVIS system log.

A GMER log would also help.

Thank you.

Thank you for your help, though by now my computer is failing to start Windows successfully. I am riddled with the "We apologize for the inconvenience but Windows did not start successfully..." screen and my machine will not boot in either safe mode or last known good configuration.

I believe I have no other choice but to reformat.

If I do this, will I be able to download BitDefender again? Since I've paid for it once but will lose the .exe file I would like to avoid losing the ability to re-download the purchase. Will that be the case? Thanks again

• alexcrist
    alexcrist
    edited December 2008

Hello,

That message means that the system rebooted while Windows was loading. In your case, I think this is caused by a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death). Windows XP, by default, reboots automatically when such an event occurs.

Please try this: when your computer is starting up (immediately after you start it), press F8 multiple times. You should get to a screen called Windows Advanced Options

post-60-1230101542_thumb.jpg

If you get there, choose the option Disable automatic restart on system failure. If your system fails to boot because of a BSOD, you will now get to see a message, on a blue background. Note the error message and se if there is any reference to a file at the bottom of the screen.

If, by any chance, in that BSOD is referenced the file that you said is infected (the one mentioned in the first post), try THIS to remove it.

You could also try Last Known Good configuration from the Windows Advanced Options menu...maybe it works.

Of course, just formatting would be easier right now, but it is generally a good idea to find out what exactly cause the system failure, to prevent it from happening again.

Cris.

• Hello,

That message means that the system rebooted while Windows was loading. In your case, I think this is caused by a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death). Windows XP, by default, reboots automatically when such an event occurs.

Please try this: when your computer is starting up (immediately after you start it), press F8 multiple times. You should get to a screen called Windows Advanced Options

post-60-1230101542_thumb.jpg

If you get there, choose the option Disable automatic restart on system failure. If your system fails to boot because of a BSOD, you will now get to see a message, on a blue background. Note the error message and se if there is any reference to a file at the bottom of the screen.

If, by any chance, in that BSOD is referenced the file that you said is infected (the one mentioned in the first post), try THIS to remove it.

You could also try Last Known Good configuration from the Windows Advanced Options menu...maybe it works.

Of course, just formatting would be easier right now, but it is generally a good idea to find out what exactly cause the system failure, to prevent it from happening again.

Cris.

Thanks again for your all help. When I press F8 during startup it takes me to Boot Menu. I can boot from either a windows cd or a multi-boot cd i downloaded, so I can load bartPE or acronis loader etc. However, I am unable to locate the option to deselect 'Auto reboot on system failure' as you suggested.

I am definitely looking to reformat anyway, but I am still wondering if I can re-download a previous purchase of BitDefender if I format?

• Thanks again for your all help. When I press F8 during startup it takes me to Boot Menu. I can boot from either a windows cd or a multi-boot cd i downloaded, so I can load bartPE or acronis loader etc. However, I am unable to locate the option to deselect 'Auto reboot on system failure' as you suggested.

I am definitely looking to reformat anyway, but I am still wondering if I can re-download a previous purchase of BitDefender if I format?

Somewhere along the Windows install process I got a blue screen error. I had managed to format the partition fine, and windows did some of the installing and copying of files then this occurred: a blue screen that says something to the effect of "Windows has detected a problem and has been shut down to prevent further damage to your computer" and at the bottom of this message is the 'technical info' section:

...Stop: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x84349A20, 0x84349B94, 0x805D29A8)

Beginning dump of physical memory."

Not quite sure what all this means, I suppose I'll try to reformat all partitions and see if this problem persists.

• Hi,

The Boot Menu and Windows Advanced Options are different things. Usually, the boot menu appears before Advanced options (the Boot Menu only appears automatically if you have multiple operating systems installed, and ask you which one to boot. It is skipped if you only have one OS installed).

The BSOD in the installation process might mean two things:

- either the CD you're installing from is broken (try to find another disc)

- either some of your hardware is malfunctioning

The BSOD should contain the error code, written in CAPITAL LETTERS, somewhere at the top of the screen. That is the message that gives the reason why the system crashed. What you posted (Stop:...) is only the memory location where the fault occurred, so it's not of much help on it's own.

As for reinstalling BD after re-installing your OS, yes, it's possible. Just reinstall BD, use the same key (be sure to have your original license certificate, or whatever). Also, activate BitDefender using the same BitDefender MyAccount as you did with the current installation.

Despite all your problems, I hope you'll still enjoy Christmas. Merry Christmas! :)

Cris.

• Art Vandelay
    edited December 2008

Thanks, I hope you enjoy the holidays and have a merry christmas as well.

I'm encountering new problems now after a clean (I hope) reformat and re-install of windows.

I have not yet connected my computer to the internet. I JUST installed my copy of BitDefender and my computer went from having about a 30 second restart process to taking upwards of 2 minutes to shut down and start up again. And what's more, BitDefender services are not responding. So I can't even scan my computer or protect it at all.

What is bitDefender's return policy? I've had the product now for 11 days and it was unable to remove viruses from my previous windows, now on my new install its services are not responding.

Thanks for your help Cris, I appreciate it

• Art Vandelay
    edited December 2008

Now I'm getting:

BitDefender has encountered a critical error.

I've submitted two error reports, one before and after reboot since the problem was persisting. Any suggestions?

• Have you updated BitDefender to the last version? The last build available through Automatic Updates is 12.0.11.2 (for English version).

As for why exactly it crashes, I cannot help you very much. I don't have enough details about your system's configuration, nor I'm a developer for BitDefender. Your best try is to contact LiveAssistance, or support by mail.

Cris.