Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bdagent.exe Not Responding

Options

Hi,

I am new to Bit Defender and to this forum. I recently installed BD Total security 2008 after much researching. It installed and worked fine (in fact quite fast) until I tried to use Rhapsody to burn some CD's. Each time (twice now) I've tried to do this, with nothing else running, my computer freezes up. I do ctrl+alt+del and get the message "bdagent.exe not responding". No matter how much clicking or how much time elapses, I end up having to manually shut down the computer with the main on\off button and restart. The task manager indicates that less than 10% of cpu is being used.

I am running windows XP.

I've never had a problem running Rhapsody before installing BD.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

RJM11

Comments

• pcbugfixer
    pcbugfixer ✭✭✭
    edited February 2009
    Options

G'Day RJM11

1. You should have installed BDIS 2009 or BDTS 2009 instead of the older 2008 version !

2. I advise you to un-install 2008 and after re-booting, install the 2009 version of your choice !

NB: You should not have any difficulty un-installing the 2008 as it is a new installation (first time) I believe. Just make sure that you are not running any other Security type Suits or programs i.e. any other Anti-Virus or other Firewalls etc. when you install the BD?? 2009. If you do, un-install all these before you install BD2009 versions.

Worth reading is the Pinned Post which give good tips on installation issues.

After that, post any remaining issues that you have on this topic.

Please let us know if you are installing the Trial or Key (Purchased) version.

:ph34r:

• G'Day RJM11

1. You should have installed BDIS 2009 or BDTS 2009 instead of the older 2008 version !

2. I advise you to un-install 2008 and after re-booting, install the 2009 version of your choice !

NB: You should not have any difficulty un-installing the 2008 as it is a new installation (first time) I believe. Just make sure that you are not running any other Security type Suits or programs i.e. any other Anti-Virus or other Firewalls etc. when you install the BD?? 2009. If you do, un-install all these before you install BD2009 versions.

Worth reading is the Pinned Post which give good tips on installation issues.

After that, post any remaining issues that you have on this topic.

Please let us know if you are installing the Trial or Key (Purchased) version.

Reply from RJM11:

In a perfect world, I might have gotten the BDTS 2009, however, I already had BDTS 2008 from the 2nd quarter of last year and had just not installed it yet. I got it via purchasing a tax software program. Now I have installed it. Are you saying that BDTS 2008 has a bug in it whereby the bdagent.exe feature shuts the computer down with certain applications, like Rhapsody (this has happened 3 times now)?

If this is the case, can I get a free download of the BDTS 2009? I have also seen negative posts about BD 2009 version vs. the older 2008. Besides cost, this is another reason that I went with what I have. Doesn't BD keep their product current?

• pcbugfixer
    pcbugfixer ✭✭✭
    edited February 2009
    Options

G'Day RJM11,

Members of this forum, including myself offer help for free ! I do not work for BD !

Putting words in my mouth so to speak or your over imaginative interpretation of what I advised, is not the tenure of my message!

No where did I suggest or said, Quote " Are you saying that BDTS 2008 has a bug in it whereby the bdagent.exe feature shuts the computer down with certain applications, like Rhapsody (this has happened 3 times now)? " - It simply remains that why would you install an older version of a program when you can install the latest version of that program at no extra cost to you? - and the answer to "Doesn't BD keep their product current?" is that the latest version is the current product, except for definition files that are separately updated for each every hour if you are connected to the Internet - However definition file updates are separate from program updates, which I believe are also performed by BD as needed or required for each of the versions.

Obviously the newer has the latest technology included and any bugs from a previous version will have been fixed in the new version, this is obvious in any Publishers Program releases !

As far as negative reports are concerned, there are millions of negative report about any product on the Internet. Most of these are from Users who have failed to read the instructions concerning the correct installation procedure using a "Gung Ho" attitude when installing any software and just click "Yes" "Next" "Next" " I agree" and "Install" and hope for the best. Only when the installation has failed do they bother to read the instruction, and in the mean time they blame the publisher of the product for the failed result of the installation and the now compromised functionality of their PC.

Executable program file crashes usually occur when there is a conflict with another program of a similar function or action! Before installing BDTS 2009, ensure that you have un-installed any other Security Suites and anti- Virus type Programs Including the Microsoft Malware and other programs. BD will shot down the Windows Firewall during the installation - just leave that option ticked (selected) with other options, use your common sense !

Compatibility for your Rhapsody program "may" simply be to ensure that it is allowed to go through the BD firewall - Check with the Rhapsody Publisher and ask them which executable files from their software need to be configures (given permission) and allowed through the firewall, then configure them accordingly !

• Although you had many good replies pcbugfixer I Donot understand why you keep writing that people should "Upgrade" to the 2009 Version ?

I as many other have done too have gone back to the 2008 version which is much more stable and has many less Bugs then the 2009 Version still has to this date ?

Also your comment about inexperienced user is Strange , me personally am a user for many Years and this 2009 Version is without doubt the worst version Bitdefender produkt that has ever come out.

Or is it normal that after 6 Months there still remains so many Bugs ?

And even the Official Helpdesk recommends to go back to the 2008 Version untill all the problems = Bugs are Fixed in the 2009 Version ?

Have tested the 2009 version on 3 different pcs and all had problems and all 3 had different OS and all were installed the way it should be = all other AV completely removed and stuff like windows defender/firewall etc disabled

But all this doesnot mean I dont appriciate and respect that you try to help others but be reallistic...,

G'Day Mate

• pcbugfixer
    Options

G'Day kungfu,

Your comments are noted and I would agree with you in part ONLY ! - whereas we have installed 2009 versions on all our PC's and a lot of customers PC's New and upgraded (upgraded = un-install 2008 and use same key to install 2009 versions) on XP and Vista systems (all and all SP's) and have not had any major issues. Those that had bugs in the installation where mostly incompatibility issues with other remnants of Security Suits that had not correctly un-installed and needed clearing from the registry for which the "Windows Install Clean Up" did the job in 99% of instances.

So, as to BD recommending that you or other revert back to the 2008 versions, is obviously a logical step in that you or others had no issues because there were no incompatibility issues or other known conflicts with it and other installed software on the PC's in question, and is a way of completing (finishing) the support request. (Next please)

However, from experience we have noted that the 2008 version DOES NOT un-install itself cleanly in all instances - irrespective of the seemingly un-install occurring without any visible errors on your screen, and noted this after investigating by using a developers tool to search the registry for 2008 remnants after it is supposed to have un-installed. This we investigated after also performing the normal un-install of 2008 versions and then installing the 2009 version and having problems with the 2009.

Other known issues when installing the 2009 versions is that a lot of times the 2009 installation comes up with popup messages telling you so, i.e. that the older version is still installed or the option to run the Clean Tool needs to be run when also it cannot un-install the old 2008 correctly because it cannot find the un-install parameter files.

So, we adopted the procedure of un-installing the 2008, - Then re-booting and then using the BD Cleaner tool after un-installing the 2008, - Then again re-booting and - Then installing the new 2009 versions with better results and no apparent issues with it, i.e. the 2009 version.

The Publisher of a Program is also developing the particular version continuously and any alteration or variation of the instruction codes can bring up other issues (errors) with the functions of it, that did not previously occur and may do so when a program update is issued and implemented (installed via updates) on the users PC. - i.e. Can cause previously unknown incompatibility issues with existing installed software.

So what the publisher recommends -V- what we experience and successfully implement and have less issues with is always a bone of contention and you need to read between the lines of the written recommended reply text to a support issue and that which is posted by members of this or any other forum.

As we do Beta testing for various Publishers we may be more aware of or have better insight into the reasons of support replies and the suggested recommendations. The ultimate aim being to solve the issue in reasonable way and get rid of it as long as the customer is happy. - Unfortunately we do not work that way and address the issues in the particular software versions until it is solved in that version by not stepping backward!

We trust that this answers your comments and question(s)

• G'Day RJM11,

Members of this forum, including myself offer help for free ! I do not work for BD !

Putting words in my mouth so to speak or your over imaginative interpretation of what I advised, is not the tenure of my message!

No where did I suggest or said, Quote " Are you saying that BDTS 2008 has a bug in it whereby the bdagent.exe feature shuts the computer down with certain applications, like Rhapsody (this has happened 3 times now)? " - It simply remains that why would you install an older version of a program when you can install the latest version of that program at no extra cost to you? - and the answer to "Doesn't BD keep their product current?" is that the latest version is the current product, except for definition files that are separately updated for each every hour if you are connected to the Internet - However definition file updates are separate from program updates, which I believe are also performed by BD as needed or required for each of the versions.

Obviously the newer has the latest technology included and any bugs from a previous version will have been fixed in the new version, this is obvious in any Publishers Program releases !

As far as negative reports are concerned, there are millions of negative report about any product on the Internet. Most of these are from Users who have failed to read the instructions concerning the correct installation procedure using a "Gung Ho" attitude when installing any software and just click "Yes" "Next" "Next" " I agree" and "Install" and hope for the best. Only when the installation has failed do they bother to read the instruction, and in the mean time they blame the publisher of the product for the failed result of the installation and the now compromised functionality of their PC.

Executable program file crashes usually occur when there is a conflict with another program of a similar function or action! Before installing BDTS 2009, ensure that you have un-installed any other Security Suites and anti- Virus type Programs Including the Microsoft Malware and other programs. BD will shot down the Windows Firewall during the installation - just leave that option ticked (selected) with other options, use your common sense !

Compatibility for your Rhapsody program "may" simply be to ensure that it is allowed to go through the BD firewall - Check with the Rhapsody Publisher and ask them which executable files from their software need to be configures (given permission) and allowed through the firewall, then configure them accordingly !

Is there an easy way to disable BDTS2008 when I want to burn a CD off of files already on the computer and then re-enable it when finished? The work I am doing when I question this is not connected to the internet. Thanks. RJM11