Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

A Couple Of Difficulties With Bdis 2009

Options

I tried to get on live chat assistance and couldn't. It kept taking me to the page where I cold send an email to tech support. I did do that but I don't have much hope of actually getting an answer so I have come to the forum for help.

Two nights ago I had to uninstall BDIS 2008 because it would not update and live chat told me that was the only way to go. I then installed BDIS 2009. One good thing that came out of this was my start up time. I had been having problems with BDIS 2008 starting very slowly and now BDIS 2009 has been much better. However I have two other problems now.

Within the program, I have disabled the anti spam module. Per instructions from live chat I have also renamed the file bdo.dll to old.dll which I was told would completely shut down the anti spam module. I use Windows Mail with my Vista Home Premium. When I open it I still have an active BD anti spam tool bar, and I absolutely can not make and retain an email rule. I had 7 color-code rules set up when I installed BDIS 2009 and they are all gone. I have recreated two of those rules two different times and the next time I boot my computer the rules are gone. When I had BDIS 2008 I disabled the anti spam and it worked. How can this tool bar possibly be present and how can BDIS 2009 keep erasing my email rules when the module has been disabled? Does anyone have any ideas what I could try to get rid of this anti spam feature?

Secondly, when I open IE 7 I constantly have to click "View" on a box that pops up telling me BDIS has determined a phishing site and then giving me this option to view or to block. I am talking about normal sites, like the forums I go to when I'm having trouble. Forums like PC Pitstop, Major Geeks, etc. It even does it with my home page which is Cloudeight. There is no option to just "Allow" these sites so that the firewall knows they are acceptable to me. Every time I go to one I get the pop ups. Is there any way I can stop this without sacrificing my Internet security? I was told to uncheck Stealth and uncheck Port Checking, but this doesn't seem like a very safe practice to me.

I purchased BDIS 2008 in June 2008 and basically I have had nothing but trouble, one thing after another, ever since. I am so tired of it. If anyone can help me with these two things I would be so happy.

Thank you.

Comments

• pcbugfixer
    pcbugfixer ✭✭✭
    edited February 2009
    Options

G'Day Nikilet,

I believe this issue is now solved.

I would however not recommend the disabling of any BD function !

My logic is simple, "Why have a Security Suite if you disable its functions?"

There are only minor exceptions to this rule !

:ph34r:

• Nikilet
    edited February 2009
    Options
    G'Day Nikilet,

I believe this issue is now solved.

I would however not recommend the disabling of any BD function !

My logic is simple, "Why have a Security Suite if you disable its functions?"

There are only minor exceptions to this rule !

The answer to this is simple. BDIS will not leave my mail rules in place and I don't want to be without them. My ISP does provide a spam filter wherein I can go to the Web Mail site and go through the diverted emails before they are removed. I would much prefer that BitDefender's antispam module would work and then I would remove my ISP's spam filter and use BD, but until BitDefender can come up with a fix for this problem I guess I have no choice. I have written to them about this numerous times in the past, when I first installed BDIS 2008. The only fix they've ever advised me of is to disable antispam module. I have done this on their advice as their only solution to this problem.

• pcbugfixer
    Options

G'Day Nikilet,

There seems to be some misunderstanding and confusion regarding the methods of handling your Spam and other erroneous email.

As I also do Web Site and Domain Hosting which includes Mail Servers, I have some understanding of how these ISP (Internet Service Provider) Spam filters work and if in fact they are an un-necessary duplication of what an Installed Security Program with email protection will do without the duplicated work load in needing to monitor Webmail on your ISP site and then perform similar screening on the installed email program and its Security suite protection from the BD type programs or the like.

I am not about to give you a lesson on what you should do and would rather have you explain why you use the Webmail to screen your email and then use the email program and want to alter the function of the email spam and other protection of the BD tool bar in your email program. Or, what is it that you are attempting to do or perform in the current procedure you are using?

BTW. The email Spam filters and other protection suggested or provided by my ISP is not used at all by our Systems. – Think about this !

Please also tell me which email program you are using.

• G'Day Nikilet,

There seems to be some misunderstanding and confusion regarding the methods of handling your Spam and other erroneous email.

As I also do Web Site and Domain Hosting which includes Mail Servers, I have some understanding of how these ISP (Internet Service Provider) Spam filters work and if in fact they are an un-necessary duplication of what an Installed Security Program with email protection will do without the duplicated work load in needing to monitor Webmail on your ISP site and then perform similar screening on the installed email program and its Security suite protection from the BD type programs or the like.

I am not about to give you a lesson on what you should do and would rather have you explain why you use the Webmail to screen your email and then use the email program and want to alter the function of the email spam and other protection of the BD tool bar in your email program. Or, what is it that you are attempting to do or perform in the current procedure you are using?

BTW. The email Spam filters and other protection suggested or provided by my ISP is not used at all by our Systems. – Think about this !

Please also tell me which email program you are using.

I use Windows Mail. Before getting Vista I used Outlook Express. I have an account with Hotmail, and used to have one with Yahoo. I much preferred Outlook Express and do prefer Windows Mail. I feel like I've already answered your question so apparently I'm not really understanding what you are meaning.

My ISP is our local telephone company. Initially I told my them I did not want them to apply their spam filter to my mail. I eventually activated the spam filter because I didn't feel like getting 300+ junk emails coming to my inbox daily. They also make sure emails with viruses are not sent on to me. I get almost no junk mail. When I feel I have time I sign into the web based account, I very quickly zoom through what's been filtered out, select all and delete. Only rarely do I find a message that I want forwarded to my inbox.

I agree with you. It is the berries to pay for a security suite and then not be able to use some of it. However, the only way I can utilize the BD antispam module is if I'm willing to give up the use of my mail rules, and I am not. It seems to me like some BD computer tech should be able to figure out why the program is erasing my mail rules and come up with a solution, but that has not happened.

If I'm not addressing the info you wanted at all, you'll have to ask me in more simple terms. I'm learning all the time but I would definitely classify myself as a novice.

Thank you.