Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bd Internet Security 2009 Firewall Error

Hello everyone.

I recently had a problem with the issue of the Bit Defender task tray icon not starting up. After making a service become Automatic it fixed the problem but there was another issue :( .

Bit Defender's firewall won't start itself. I've tried to re-install Bit Defender with no luck, the error response I get when trying to start it is:

BitDefender Firewall Error

Cannot communicate with the BitDefender Virus Sheild service!

I've already checked to see if the service is set to Automatic and running and it is.

I love BitDefenders firewall because it provides loads of information and options. Anyone have a solution?

Comments

• flandrei
    flandrei Bitdefender VPN Product Manager BD Staff

Hi there,

Normally this article should help you:

http://kb.bitdefender.com/KB391

If not, I will need you to browse to C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Firewall and open the netsf.inf file. Tell me what the DriverVer date is.

Thanks,

Florin

• Hi Florin, thanks for your help.

The article you linked didn't work.

Here is the information from the netsf.inf file.

DriverVer = 02/03/2009

• Dear Davonator,

Please try this:

Press the windows button together with r now type this: devmgmt.msc press enter. Go to view,select the option show hidden devices, expand non plug and play compatible drivers. Search for bdftdif double click on it,select the system tab and verify that by the startup section by type system is selected if not change it and press on ok. Check also the general tab the device should be enabled. Please expand network adaptors and look for BitDefender Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport. You should also find such an entry on your network card. Double click on it. It should be enabled.

Kind regards,

Niels

• Hello Niels.

I looked into the Non-Plug and Play Drivers and found bdftdif. It said the device was working properly, it's currently enabled and it's startup was set to system.

However I couldn't find any BitDefender Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport while looking through the Network adapters.

You said 'You should also find such an entry on your network card.' Which network adapter should I select to find that entry and where would it be located?

post-22015-1236381472_thumb.jpg

• Dear Davonator,

The firewall driver isn't installed at all. Did you installed BitDefender in a virtual environment? I mean are you using tools such as sandboxie,vmware,returnil,.. and installed BitDefender inside that environment.That can sometimes cause that some parts don't get successfully installed in a virtual environment. You should install it in a normal environment.

Kind regards,

Niels

• Hello Niels.

I didn't install it into a virtual environment, the only time I did install BitDefender in a virtual machine was when I was trying it out before I installed it onto my real machine.

• Dear Davonator,

Can you please go back to Program Files,Common Files,BitDefender,BitDefender Firewall. Now right click on netsf.inf and choose install, do the same thing for netsf_m.inf. What other files are present in the BitDefender Firewall folder? Normally you must find files with the following names: bdftdif.sys,bdfndisf.cat,bdfndisf.sys,driverctrl.exe,setloadorder.exe,deloeminfs

.exe,snetcfg.exe.

Kind regards,

Niels

• flandrei
    flandrei Bitdefender VPN Product Manager BD Staff

Hi there,

This should normally fix the issue:

1. Reboot in Safe Mode.

2. Go to Start->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services.

3. Doubleclick on BitDefender Virus Shield and select the startup type Manual.

4. Reboot in Normal Mode.

5. Doubleclick on your LAN in the corner right.

6. Click on Install->Service.

7. Select the BitDefender NDIS Filter Driver.

8. Click OK. Click Continue Anyway a couple of times should you see a popup related to driver signing.

9. Reboot the PC.

Thanks,

Florin

• Thanks Niels and Florin for your responses. I'm busy and won't be able to reply in 1 or 2 days but I will keep you posted.

• Dear Davonator,

Can you please go back to Program Files,Common Files,BitDefender,BitDefender Firewall. Now right click on netsf.inf and choose install, do the same thing for netsf_m.inf. What other files are present in the BitDefender Firewall folder? Normally you must find files with the following names: bdftdif.sys,bdfndisf.cat,bdfndisf.sys,driverctrl.exe,setloadorder.exe,deloeminfs

.exe,snetcfg.exe.

Kind regards,

Niels

Hello Niels.

I installed both netsf.inf and netsf_m.inf then restarted my computer, no difference. All the files you said that should be located in the folder are their.

Hi there,

This should normally fix the issue:

1. Reboot in Safe Mode.

2. Go to Start->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services.

3. Doubleclick on BitDefender Virus Shield and select the startup type Manual.

4. Reboot in Normal Mode.

5. Doubleclick on your LAN in the corner right.

6. Click on Install->Service.

7. Select the BitDefender NDIS Filter Driver.

8. Click OK. Click Continue Anyway a couple of times should you see a popup related to driver signing.

9. Reboot the PC.

Thanks,

Florin

Hello Florin.

On step 7 there was no option to install the BitDefender NDIS Filter Driver :( . I have attached a screenshot of the problem.

post-22015-1237035675_thumb.jpg

• Dear Davonator,

Are you using software that logs an installation so the software can remove everything when you want to remove the software? If so I would recommend that you temporary disable that software. I am speaking about tools like Total Uninstaller,..

I suggest that you first try a repair installation:

Click on start,all programs,BitDefender 2009,repair or remove, during the wizard choose repair. You will be asked to reboot, please do so. If you see a warning during the installation that NDIS Filter Driver isn't signed just continue the installation of it by clicking ok or next. If you deny that, the driver isn't installed then.

Kind regards,

Niels

• Hello Niels.

I uninstalled Your Uninstaller 2008 and performed the repair option in Bit Defender. Once again, no luck.

• Dear Davonator,

Are you using a 64 bit version of windows?

Can you please do this:

Press the windows button together with r now type this: regedit press enter.

Now right click on it and select permissions, verify if your user account,the administrator account has full control (allowed),read (allowed) if not change it and press on apply and ok. You need to do this on :

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

HKEY_CURRENT_USER

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

HKEY_USERS

HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG

Now reboot your pc, but keep the F8 button pressed when you have seen the BIOS screen, select safe mode and press. Log in with your account. Go to start,(my) computer,Program Files,right click on it choose properties,high light the security tab,select your user account and if you have full control,modify,read & execute,read,write (allowed). Click also on the advanced button see if allow is listed with your account and by permission full control. Go to start,(my) computer,windows and check the same as for the program files folder. Continue that also for system 32 and the drivers subfolder.

Uninstall BitDefender by using this tool. If you are using the 64 bit version you need this uninstall tool. Double click on it to run it. Press on uninstall. You will be asked to reboot. Run the removal tool 1 more time after the reboot. After you have done that please follow these instructions. Install BitDefender again

Kind regards,

Niels

• Davonator
    edited March 2009

Hello Niels.

I don't use a 64-bit system, only 32. I have full permission for both my registry and files.

This is something that I've noticed multiple times when uninstalling BitDefender 2009 with the BitDefender Uninstall Tool. It says that it cannot remove the main registry keys (Screenshot attached of this error). I made the screenshot the second time I ran the tool after I restarted my computer from the first time.

I've completed the new install with the DeBugger running and attached the log, nothing has changed with the firewall.

post-22015-1237272202_thumb.jpg

/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=4904" data-fileid="4904" rel="">5D53078A3.LOG

• Hey folks.

Been following this post for a bit now.

I'm having exactly the same problem as davonator.

Same when I unistall DB, i get the error 'main regisery keys could not be deleted'.

I've tried a clean down of the registery, and manually looked for the keys, but no result.

I do have a ticket open with BD Tech so il post whatever comes out there..

Rdgs

• Bump, it's been 5 days. I'm unsure if this forum allows bumps.

• Bump, it's been 5 days. I'm unsure if this forum allows bumps.

Hey Davonator,

I've been waiting since the 13th march for a reply on the ticket I have with Tech.

I've tried a few things since, ie uninstalled more or less all other software on my computer. Same same.

I'm looking a complete reinstall of Xp now, not that I really want to.

Fact is, I have the same version of BD running on another XP machin without problems.

Fingers crossed I'll hear something from Tech.

• Hey Davonator,

I've been waiting since the 13th march for a reply on the ticket I have with Tech.

I've tried a few things since, ie uninstalled more or less all other software on my computer. Same same.

I'm looking a complete reinstall of Xp now, not that I really want to.

Fact is, I have the same version of BD running on another XP machin without problems.

Fingers crossed I'll hear something from Tech.

I am having same exact problem. I tried installing the driver as described and it said it couldn't install it.

• I am having same exact problem. I tried installing the driver as described and it said it couldn't install it.

Hey mjm0868,

are by any chance using a Media Center version of XP?

Both myslf and Davonator are, and I think thats where the problem is..

There's been no reply from tech either (great work there guys, keep it up :( )

Judjing by the lack of info from BD I reckon its a known issue, just one the cant fix right now.

At this stage I have no solution, I've reverted back to BDIS 10.

• ok, I take it back :)

just got a reply from tech, I'll post on how I get on.

-> Florin, thanksfor the email, I'll let you know how i get on :)

njoy

• Hey mjm0868,

Judjing by the lack of info from BD I reckon its a known issue, just one the cant fix right now.

• Hey mjm0868,

I don't think so. I am using XP Home edition. I still have no firewall. A support person asked me to run software that logs the configuration and software and I sent that in.

• I uninstalled Bit Defender and switched to Norton Internet Security 2009. After a brief period, I decided I wanted to try Bit Defender one last time. After uninstalling Norton and re-installing BitDefender Internet Security 2009 it successfully installed the BitDefender Firewall NDIS Filter Driver.

Although I would have liked more support, the issue for me is resolved for an unknown reason.

• We have released a new version of the bdfndisf.sys driver in 12.0.12 which is responsible for installing the NDIS filter on the network adapter card. In case you are still unable to install the BitDefender NDIS driver or receive the error "Could not communicate with the BitDefender Virus Shield" when trying to enable the Firewall let me know and I will send you a manual procedure by e-mail that should resolve it.

• Hey mjm0868,

Hi there,

I have this identical issue - v frustrating!! I am using Media Center version of XP too.

I have run all the recommendations I can find and still no solution.

The other thing thats ringing alarm bells for me, is that when this issue started I also lost complete network access. No idea what caused it, I removed the network devices and re-added and the problem was gone. I believe it was caused by bitdefender as the PC has been stable for a long time and that is the first time it has happened.

One last thing is that since this has happened whenever I go to shutdown it offers the "install updates and shutdown" option every time, regardless of how many times I do it.

Would love to hear any recommendations.

Suzy

• Hello suzy,

We sent you a procedure by e-mail that you can use in order to resolve this issue.

Thank you!