Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Full System And Deep Scans Crash Winxp Bd 2009

Options

I am running BD 2009 on a Dell latitude D630, Win XP Pro SP3, 2 Gb RAM. Whenever I run a Deep System Scan or a Full System Scan the computer crashes with a Blue Screen (Page Fault In Nonpaged Area). My wife's computer (Dell D430, Win XP Pro SP3, BD 2009) crashes in the same way. Crashing started this week.

I run a bdc.exe scan in safe mode and the system was clean.

I uninstalled and reinstalled BD and the error persists.

The system does not crash at any other time.

I do not have any other anti-virus, anti-malware software installed.

The systems are both fully updated and have current drivers.

The only recent changes were a Java and an Adobe Reader update in the last week or so.

Any help or suggestions will be gratefully received.

Comments

• adrion
    Options

I had a similar problem (system: Windows XP SP3, NTFS). I noticed that Bitdefender 2009 always produced a Bluescreen while scanning the encrypted index files of Google Desktop Search (GDS).

So I uninstalled GDS and deleted the GDS-index. Then I installed GDS again an let it build a new index of my data - but this time without encryption of the index.

Now Bitdefender doesn't produce a BSOD during system scan any more.

So maybe Bitdefender has a problem with the encrypted files of GDS or with Windows Encrypting File System (EFS).

Best regards

Adrion

• After a bluscreen a minidump is created in:

C:\Windows\Minidump

Please post that file here.

• I had a similar problem (system: Windows XP SP3, NTFS). I noticed that Bitdefender 2009 always produced a Bluescreen while scanning the encrypted index files of Google Desktop Search (GDS).

So I uninstalled GDS and deleted the GDS-index. Then I installed GDS again an let it build a new index of my data - but this time without encryption of the index.

Now Bitdefender doesn't produce a BSOD during system scan any more.

So maybe Bitdefender has a problem with the encrypted files of GDS or with Windows Encrypting File System (EFS).

Best regards

Adrion

Thanks very much. I have been having exactly that BSoD and assumed it was due to old drivers and so have been slowly updating my drivers the past few days. Stopped that drain on time, again caused by BD, and have uninstalled Google Desktop, per your experiences. I run SP2

• I uninstalled Google Desktop Search,and did NOT reinstall it.But I just had another BSoD with the same same symptom - "Page Fault In Nonpaged Area". I run SP2 on a Lenovo T60. Attached is the minidump as requested by Diane Bele

First attempt at uploading -

"Error Upload failed. You are not permitted to upload this type of file"

So I zipped the dmp file and tried again - same result

How do I "After a bluscreen a minidump is created in:

C:\Windows\Minidump

Please post that file here."

How do I post it?

• I'll create a ticket in our support database and send you a request there for the minidump there. Please reply to it whenever you have the time.

• I'll create a ticket in our support database and send you a request there for the minidump there. Please reply to it whenever you have the time.

Thanks. I sent the dump plus the output from Quickscan

I'd like to send a the minidump as well. I couldn't upload it either. Will you please send a request to me as well.

• hnyaji
    edited April 2009
    Options

Hi

you already have 2GB of RAM. Disable virtual memory and scan now!

there may be a virus which is not letting your system to page properly!

• Hi

you already have 2GB of RAM. Disable virtual memory and scan now!

there may be a virus which is not letting your system to page properly!

Thank for the suggestion. I reset the virtual memory but still got the BSoD on a full system scan.

BTW I checked and I had previously uninstalled Google Desktop Search and all its files (mentioned above). I do have a few Windows encrypted folders, I can try "freeing" those up to see what happens, but I'm not too hopeful.

• hnyaji
    edited April 2009
    Options

Hi DanMcD,

if you set the pagefile to zero, you must not have page fault errors!

do you know which file causes the page fault error?

Hemanth

• I installed the Windows updates that were released yesterday and my system is scanning just fine now.

I don't know how or why, but Full and Deep Scans both completed just fine, last night and this morning.

This and previous problems with BD make me wonder about its stability, but at least it is working now.

This discussion has been closed.