Bitdefender Deleting Necessary Dlls

The latest update of BitDefender has deleted dll files needed for OpenOffice and Firefox from my PCs !!!!

Files are :-

nssutil3.dll

tlmi.dll

Comments

• Same problem here!

And re-installing won't help because BD immediately removes the dll files again.

• alexcrist
    alexcrist
    edited April 2009

Detection for the nssutil3.dll file has already been removed and will enter update in less than an hour.

Please post the exact detection name for tlmi.dll, so it can be checked out.

Thank you.

Cris.

• Me too, same thing. As of this morning BitDefender thinks that my Firefox file nssutil3.dll is a Tojan.Generic.1607990.

I located a fresh copy of this file online and put it back into the directory that it was deleted from. I'm running in "Game Mode" so that it doesn't get deleted again. I guess I'll create an exception for that path.

Is it possible to make exceptions just for one file?

• I will have to install OpenOffice 3 again to find out more ....

• Thanks Cris!

I was only having trouble with Firefox so perhaps C Broadhurst can tell you detection name of tlmi.dll

• On install of OpenOffice I have Trojan.Generic.1607810

Location C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org3\Basis\program\icuin36.dll

I will wait for the tlmi.dll message ...

• Is it possible to make exceptions just for one file?

Yes, it's possible.

• can't get the full install of OpenOffice ...

Copied the file from my daughters PC

Trojan.Generic.1608001

File name - tlmi.dll

• Thank you for your reports. I forwarded them to analysis and they will be checked out. I will keep you posted about the result.

Cris.

• thanks Cris ...

It was a bit of a nasty surprise ...

• Log from TODAY:

Hey, two more faults:

...\GIMP-2.0\lib\gtk-2.0\2.10.0\loaders\libpixbufloader-pnm.dll Trojan.Generic.1607759 Deleted

...\GIMP-2.0\bin\libgsf-win32-1-114.dll Trojan.Generic.1607815 Deleted

Can someone stop this?

• Detection for the nssutil3.dll file has already been removed and will enter update in less than an hour.

Please post the exact detection name for tlmi.dll, so it can be checked out.

Thank you.

Cris.

I had problems with several other DLLs as well, I've included their filenames and detection names below:

GTK - libpixbufloader-pnm.dll - Trojan.Generic.1607759

VLC - libmemcpy_plugin.dll - Trojan.Generic.1607824

Wireshark - unistim.dll - Trojan.Generic.1607984

• The latest update of BitDefender has deleted dll files needed for OpenOffice and Firefox from my PCs !!!!

Files are :-

nssutil3.dll

tlmi.dll

Bitdefender deleted nssutil3.dll from my system also. Claimed it was Trojan.Generic.1607990. This killed firefox. The Bitdefender folks have a full blown disaster on their hands.

• Bob.F
    edited April 2009

Same problem for me with FireFox,

Removes and deletes nssutil.dll and reports it as Trojan Generic 1607990

• Thank you Cris

The defect was repaired in the program of Firefox :)

• Thank you Cris

The defect was repaired in the program of Firefox :)

Are you kidding me? Last update didn't resolve this issue. Yes, some update was few minutes ago but i can't still install firefox; this same problem with trojan.generic occuring.

• My FireFox is now working fine after last update about 10 mins ago.

Just needed to reinstal FF and all is well.

• Reports from posts #12 and #13 forwarded. They will be fixed as soon as possible.

Cris.

• Hey, did you reboot your pc?

Look at this:

...\Mozilla Firefox\nssutil3.dll Trojan.Generic.1607990

Log was generate 1 minute ago. Last update at 18:40. No new update available. Cheked on my 2 pc(s). (Bitdefender 2009 64bit ver.).

• Same thing with me-- blocking Firefox. Saw two BitDefender updates in last 45 minutes but after both was still unable to reinstall Firefox.

So I put in an exception to not check the ...\Mozilla Firefox\ directory. Then turned off BitDefender for five minutes. Then downloaded and reinstalled Firefox. Now all is well. I'll leave the exception in place until I hear definitevely that the problem has been fixed.

• I still can't install FF.

During installation BD comes up with the Trojan.Generic.1607990 again :(

Last update was 10 minutes ago.

• Thanks Cris!

I was only having trouble with Firefox so perhaps C Broadhurst can tell you detection name of tlmi.dll

Hi,

I have this problem as well. BitDefender AV is consistently deleting a needed OpenOffice 3 file: icuin36.dll,

saying it is infected with a trojan: Trojan.Generic.1607810

This problem is even keeping from re-installing the program. Oh yeah, and I can't do my homework or my job!

THANKS so much for looking into this,

~ap

• Update for the Firefox problem just entered update. Please make a manual update and all should be OK. If it still detects it, wait a few more minutes and try again. On my machine the file in not detected anymore, so everyone should get the update in the next half hour max.

Cris.

• Bob.F
    edited April 2009

Yes Nisei, just to confirm, I had exactly same issue with FireFox, with nssutil.dll being deleted and Generic Trojan 1607990 being reported resulting in FireFox not starting.

I manually updated BD about an hour ago, reinstalled FireFox over the top of the original installation and all works fine.Im using FireFox now while I type this.

I have rebooted since the BitDefender update but it worked OK before doing that anyway.

Ive also ran a full deep system scan and all is well.

• 10:46 PST

BD did the same thing here nailing my FireFox: I quarantined nssutil3.dll which was reported as Trojan.Generic.1607990 (as with others who have reported above.)

Incidentally, chat disconnected me before I had time to type more than a few words, i.e. they said they would contact me by email -- I wanted to chat, and I have received no emails.

I have tried to contact tech support, on hold interminably no answer.

I have tried to contact sales, said their lines were busy (yeah right), leave a name and phone number, we'll see if I get a call back.

I'm with the other forum member who mentioned that they think this company is in trouble.

T

• I'm having the same problem and after reading this thread I've manually updated BitDefender and tried to reinstall FF twice, but BD is still coming up with Trojan.Generic.1607990.

• I'm having the same problem and after reading this thread I've manually updated BitDefender and tried to reinstall FF twice, but BD is still coming up with Trojan.Generic.1607990.

I turned on the game mode while I reinstalled FF (after manual updating BD). Seemed to work okay for me. I'm back in FF. thank God.

• ACK. Now I find that my privacy protection was disabled (I didn't do this) in DB and I can't change my protection level from permissive back to the default. My identity, restigry, cookie and ****** control all disabled... How do I change this??

• pannyx
    edited April 2009
    I turned on the game mode while I reinstalled FF (after manual updating BD). Seemed to work okay for me. I'm back in FF. thank God.

Thanks, Leah, I'll try that.

ETA: I turned on the game mode and reinstalled FF, but I got this error.

"This application has failed to start because nssutil3.dll was not found.

Re-installing the application may fix the problem."

• Issue seems to be fixed. Still have to reinstall FF.

<_< NOT FUNNY!!!

• I use VLC Player to watch movies etc and have just updated mine to version 0.9.9.0. Bitdefender has deleted out of the VLC plugins folder:

libmux_mp4_plugin.dll

libmemcpy_plugin.dll

This was on a full system scan, not a real-time alert. I'd set a scan going after the Firefox issue and before I knew BD was killing other required DLLs. I can't imagine these were infected files so I'm thinking it could be part of this ongoing issue.

Cheers

• I use VLC Player to watch movies etc and have just updated mine to version 0.9.9.0. Bitdefender has deleted out of the VLC plugins folder:

libmux_mp4_plugin.dll

libmemcpy_plugin.dll

This was on a full system scan, not a real-time alert. I'd set a scan going after the Firefox issue and before I knew BD was killing other required DLLs. I can't imagine these were infected files so I'm thinking it could be part of this ongoing issue.

Cheers

I use VLC player too. I just bought BD 2 days ago. I wish I could get my money back and uninstall it.

• nthdgreee
    edited April 2009
    Thanks, Leah, I'll try that.

ETA: I turned on the game mode and reinstalled FF, but I got this error.

For those still having problems getting Firefox to work (nssutil3.dll error), after reinstalling, go to this site and download the missing file. Just copy it over to the Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\ directory and you should be good to go.

• Thank you, nthdgreee! That was easy and worked perfectly! Should I keep BD in game mode or can I switch it back?

• I use Vista 64 bit Business. Bitdefender A/V 2009

I got the same trojan alert from Bitdefender about a trojan.generic

then when I launch firefox 3:

I manually updated Bitdefender, I installed the weekly update file, I uninstalled Firefox, re-installed, re- updated......and I am still unable to use firefox, it's been 2 hours since the last Bitdefender update.

When is Bitdefender 64bit versions gonna be updated?

• alexcrist
    alexcrist
    edited April 2009

As far as I was told, the 64bit updates were released at the same time with the 32bit ones. I will ask again to see if there were any delays.

Cris.

• BDuser77489
    edited April 2009

Updated BD at least 5 times within the last hour and reinstalled Firefox but the problem still exist. I seems to me that the dll file is removed from the temporary install directory and it never makes to the Firefox folder.

And the worst part is that I have to use Internet Explorer now...

I have Vista Ultimate 64 bit.

• Using Bitdefender Gamesafe - same issue, still. Updated manually a few times, it did download a few new updates, but that hasnt fixed it - still wont let me install firefox.

Running 64 bit vista home premium.

*annoyed*

• I have installed the update and will hope for the best. However, before that, I had added an exception to Bitdefender to ignore the Firefox folder. Now, I can't remove the exception. The options are greyed out.

And, when I posted my original post about this problem at 9:42 this morning, I had been searching Bitdefenders forums about this, and I had no results.

• For all users still having detection problems about Firefox: are you all using the 64bit version? Or the problem appears on 32bit version too?

I'm using the 32bit version and detection was removed (when I last posted).

Cris.

• Thank you, nthdgreee! That was easy and worked perfectly! Should I keep BD in game mode or can I switch it back?

I switched back to regular mode expecting it delete the file again, but it didn't. I guess it doesn't hurt to try it. Make a backup copy of that file somewhere so you can put it back easily if needed.

• captan_cook
    edited April 2009

One other thing I should point out:

I have Windows 7 beta 7000, 32 bit running on my laptop. I also got the tojan.generic alert on there as well BUT Bitdefender was able to update and then I restarted the lappy and Firefox works and no trojan alerts.

My desktop, as posted above, is still having issues with Firefox (everytime I try update it tells me no updates found) and I am using Vista 64 bit Business (see above).

Thanks Cris for you speedy replies.

Using Bidefender AntiVirus 2009 with Vista 64 bit Business and also running BD 2009 A/V on Windows 7, Beta 7000 32 bit version on my laptop...gamemode disabled on both Both are Bitdefender 2009 version: 12.0.12 for 64 bit and version 12.0.12.0 for 32 bit version

• Well I'm not even sure Gamesafe has a proper 64bit version, running it on 64bit vista however.

This is the 3rd time in the space of a month or so BD updates have *broken* something....

• For those still having problems getting Firefox to work (nssutil3.dll error), after reinstalling, go to this site and download the missing file. Just copy it over to the Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\ directory and you should be good to go.

I can't believe that a non-BD employee has to provide a solution on this problem. BD is kind of like screwing everything up. The customer service is awful too.

Thanks to you. Now I can use my firefox again. Freaking BD

• alexcrist
    alexcrist
    edited April 2009

I want to add a small note to my last post:

For all users still having detection problems with Firefox: Please post the exact BitDefender version (AV/IS/TS/GameSafe, build number) and architecture (32/64bit). I'm trying to find out if any updates got delayed, but I need exact info to ask for.

Thank you.

Cris.

• I just came across this thanks to one of my friends.

All the same problem happened with me but I haven't been able to reinstall Firefox, although haven't retried in the last hour. Just wondering though, my Bitdefender seems to now have problems since this, it's disabled real-time protection and firewall and I cant seem to get it enabled....

I'm REALLY confused and now I have no idea what I do... do I reinstall BitDefender or retry reinstalling my Firefox or what?

• RazorX696
    edited April 2009

Just started up my computer today and had BD give me the same warning everyone else here got about FireFox. I've done what Cris said to do, I've updated BD but with no luck. First time I updated and tried to reinstall FF but BD catches that same dll file before its even done extracting. Next I turned off real-time protection and reinstalled with no problem. Then I tried to start up FF with real-time protection back on and BD stopped it again. I've tried all the suggestions people have given but no cigar.

I have Vista Home Premium 64x and BitDefender Total Security 2009 Build 12.0.12.

Please Help!

• yakiko
    edited April 2009

[[[For those still having problems getting Firefox to work (nssutil3.dll error), after reinstalling, go to this site and download the missing file. Just copy it over to the Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\ directory and you should be good to go.]]]

I still have an apparent file "nssutil3.dll" and it wants to overwrite it, but how can I already have it? Firefox won't even freaking load on my computer anymore....

this is terrible.

Will it hurt to overwrite this file?

• alexcrist
    alexcrist
    edited April 2009
    I still have an apparent file "nssutil3.dll" and it wants to overwrite it, but how can I already have it? Firefox won't even freaking load on my computer anymore....

this is terrible.

Will it hurt to overwrite this file?

BitDefender might have not deleted the file on your system, but might have only blocked access to it (depending on your realtime settings). In this case, the file still exists but can't be accessed, so Firefox can't start.

Please be sure to update BitDefender, make a system reboot, after the computer loads up first disable BitDefender realtime protection, then overwrite the file (if you want, make a backup of the existing file first, and put it in a password-protected archive, so BD won't detect it), then enable BD realtime protection. Test if the detection is still present and post the result.

Cris.

• Just updated again, its *still* there.

Bitdefender Gamesafe - build: 11.0.17 - Virus signitures: 2848882 - Engine ver: 7.24858

Windows Vista Home Premium 64 Bit