Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bd Internet Security 2009 Freezes My Pc ,pls Help!

Options

I just upgraded from 2008 to 2009.Since then, everytime I turn on my laptop, browse IE, my entire system freezes I have to hard reset it. I've tried uninstalled,reinstalled, system restored, evan chat to a BD technician who told me to send some detail informations but never got back to me since. I'm so tired struggling with this problem and really desperately need some helps.

Comments

• tdamocles
    edited April 2009
    Options
    I just upgraded from 2008 to 2009.Since then, everytime I turn on my laptop, browse IE, my entire system freezes I have to hard reset it. I've tried uninstalled,reinstalled, system restored, evan chat to a BD technician who told me to send some detail informations but never got back to me since. I'm so tired struggling with this problem and really desperately need some helps.

Looks like a common thing lately. IMHO I would get it off your system before it really screws up your pc. I had to reset every time I booted up....not good for system files. When I uninstalled, it wouldn't uninstall everything. I still have the antiphishing extension left in my firefox.....

• hnyaji
    edited April 2009
    Options

Hi

uninstall your BD with

32 bit http://bitdefender.com/uninstall

64 bit http://bitdefender.com/uninstall64

and then install BD again.

This should remove your previous BD 2008 installation left overs and make a way for a clean BD 2009 installation again!

Hemanth

• Hi

uninstall your BD with

This should remove your previous BD 2008 installation left overs and make a way for a clean BD 2009 installation again!

Hemanth

In my case, I did not have 2008.

• Hi

uninstall your BD with

Hemanth

Thank you so much for your suggestion, Hemanth, I appreciate it.

Unfortunately,I've tried both unintalling with that tool and from control panel , even system restored , nothing can solve this thing.

I love BD and don't want to remove it, more suggestions?

• Orphan
    Options
    Thank you so much for your suggestion, Hemanth, I appreciate it.

Unfortunately,I've tried both unintalling with that tool and from control panel , even system restored , nothing can solve this thing.

I love BD and don't want to remove it, more suggestions?

airy033,

You love a program that crashes your computer?!?!?!?

Guess I've been doing it wrong all these years!?! *LOL*

Cheers

Orphan

• mkn
    mkn
    edited April 2009
    Options

Well, I have to say I am astonished and angry at the same time. I did a thorough search late last year and BitDefender was on top in all reviews. So, after finally getting fed up with AVG speed I purchased a 12-month BD license. What I am now experiencing is a HORRENDOUSLY slower speed and the need to reboot the computer every two days or so after BD updates. Reboots after a virus protection update? Whew. Using AVG I sometimes had the workstation running for 30+ days without any reboots.

Reading this forum I can see that BD 2009 is an ultimate technical failure and the support seems to be worse than with the free versions from other vendors.

I will probably uninstall this version within a few days. Before reveting back to AVG I would, however, like to hear any recommendations. The good thing is that BD is so chea.p that I am not at all sorry to scrap it.

mkn

Oh, if the BD suppport people can convince me about light being seen at the end of this dark tunnel please feel free to do so. The bread being delivered half-baked is a scandal.

• @ airy033, Damocles and mkn

This situation will require further troubleshooting - I have created support tickets in our database for everyone reporting this issue, please reply to the e-mail that I have sent when you have the time.

• mkn
    Options
    @ airy033, Damocles and mkn

This situation will require further troubleshooting - I have created support tickets in our database for everyone reporting this issue, please reply to the e-mail that I have sent when you have the time.

So far no email received. As for "further troubleshooting": The need to reboot the workstation comes from BD itself: it simply says "To finish the update process you have to reboot the computer". This needs no further troubleshooting, it is a feature in the software, a feature most inconvenient and this feature alone will make me reject the product.

As for the environment the workstation is a plain Sempron 3000+ with Standard XP, nothing special. No lockups, just the same symptoms most BD victims are suffering from: all too high cpu usage. The file system performance has been tuned to maximum by moving virtual memory to a separate partition and by running a top-notch defragmenter every night (Diskeeper). The partitioning is also highly professional with data and also most running software on separate partitions, as well as /temp and other temporary stuff. As far as I can tell from my 28-year Pre-DOS/DOS/Windows/Unix/Linux/BSD/VMS/etc... experience there is nothing more I can do.

• @mkn

I created the support ticket yesterday and sent you an e-mail immediately after creating it - I will try to send it again and in case you do not receive it we will try to confirm you e-mail address by PM. Please check your Inbox for the e-mail, your ticket ID is 200904291005267.

• airy033
    Options

Problem solved!!!! Thanks a million, Diana Bele.

For anyone who has the same problem, this is what she told according to my situation----

1. It seems that there are still traces of Norton 360 on the PC so please usethis Norton removal tool to make sure that they are cleared:http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039?OpenDocument&seg=ag&lg=en&ct=us

2. Then go to Start - Run - type in "regedit" then press OK - browse to:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services.Look for the entry called "mpsdrv" - highlight it then on the right you willhave a key that is called "Start" - right click on it, select Modify and setthe value to 4. Now restart the PC and test if the freeze reoccurs.

3. If the freeze still occurs, please go to Start - Run - type in "ncpa.cpl"and hit OK - look for the cabled connection and right click on it - select"Properties". Now uncheck the entry which says "BitDefender NDIS Firewalldriver" and hit Apply then OK.

The 3rd one works!!!!

Does that means I turned off my firewall for the cabled internet connection???

• hnyaji
    Options

Hi airy033,

yes! you just turned off your firewall! BD are trying step by step that what caused the problem! They would probably release a new version of NDIS Firewalldriver. Try with firefox with this driver enabled, and see if the problem re-appears!

Hemanth

• coquimba
    Options

HI,

At least I'm not the only one having problem with BDIS 2009. It was installed on fresh OS install (Vista Home SP1) and around the fourth day I noticed an incredible slow performance of my PC plus the BD icon on the tray going from red to black and red again. When I clicked on it said that some services weren't responding? I submitted the case to tech support but in the meantime and after I found that two BD services were locking the CPU at 100% I decided to uninstall it completely so that I can make use of my PC.

On My second PC works fine which is also a Vista Home SP1

• coquimba
    Options

Quick update.

I believed I fixed the problem with some help from users of this forum. Go here to check the solution

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...ost&p=57045[/url]

• mkn
    Options
    @mkn

I created the support ticket yesterday and sent you an e-mail immediately after creating it - I will try to send it again and in case you do not receive it we will try to confirm you e-mail address by PM. Please check your Inbox for the e-mail, your ticket ID is 200904291005267.

Forget it. The emails you are sending are possibly found suspicious by the Gmail spam filter and are drowned there. I do not have the time to dig into the dozens and dozens of spam titles I receive every day.

My sincere wish, however, is that the real-time protection will be written in a bit more optimized manner AND that fewer reboots are needed when updating the virus database/engine.

• anders1234
    edited May 2009
    Options

I bought a 3PC BDIS 2009 two days ago and have the same problem on both my PC's. They both have Vista Home Premium Sp1 and all the latest drivers etc.

I never had any issues before but now on one PC when it runs the "deep scanning" after some time the PC starts freezing for 5 seconds then continues 1 second and then freezes again ad nauseum. The network connection drops and basically the only thing left is to reboot.

The other PC had the same problem, freeze in deep scan - which was annoying because it had run fine for 6 hours and still had a way to go before it froze (I have a lot of disk space). It also happened another time when I wasn't scanning so maybe it has nothing direct to do with that, when I was downloading at the same time as I was watching a movie on a USB drive. After the download was finished suddenly the PC started to freeze again.

BD seems also remarkable slow and I am quite disappointed after reading all the reviews saying it has such a low impact on performance, yeah right. :blink:

So what to do? If I can't fix this I will just go back to AVG, at least they didn't screw up my PC.

• Unknown
    Options

Hello anders43,

The situation that you have reports is a little different then the one airy033 has experienced on his system because his machine was having slowdowns without running a deep system scan. The best way to get to the cause of this issue is to investigate it using reports generated on the machines themselves because it will give us access to more information to diagnose and obtain a faster resolution.

Thus I have created a support ticket in the database on your case and you should receive an e-mail shortly - your ticket ID is 200905041007825.

Thank you,

• Problem solved!!!! Thanks a million, Diana Bele.

For anyone who has the same problem, this is what she told according to my situation----

1. It seems that there are still traces of Norton 360 on the PC so please usethis Norton removal tool to make sure that they are cleared:http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039?OpenDocument&seg=ag&lg=en&ct=us

2. Then go to Start - Run - type in "regedit" then press OK - browse to:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services.Look for the entry called "mpsdrv" - highlight it then on the right you willhave a key that is called "Start" - right click on it, select Modify and setthe value to 4. Now restart the PC and test if the freeze reoccurs.

3. If the freeze still occurs, please go to Start - Run - type in "ncpa.cpl"and hit OK - look for the cabled connection and right click on it - select"Properties". Now uncheck the entry which says "BitDefender NDIS Firewalldriver" and hit Apply then OK.

The 3rd one works!!!!

Does that means I turned off my firewall for the cabled internet connection???

I had exactly the same problem. I have Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP1, it is the first time I use BitDefender, previously I used Kaspersky and liked it. I have lost a half of the day yesterday after installation of BitDefender Internet Security 2009 12.0.12.1 (it was updated on installation to the latest build) on my computer, fighting complete freezes that happened every 5-15 minutes. I had to use hardware restart every time, and it made my software RAID very unhappy. These complete freezes happened even if I didn't use network at all, and just was trying to backup my system to an external USB hard drive. I have disabled both BitDefender antivirus and firewall but still had the same problem until I have completely uninstalled BitDefender; only after that the problem went away. So I was completely ready to write off a price of BitDefender and to explain to everyone what I think about this product, but after discovering this discussion I have decided to give BitDefender a second (and last) chance. I have disabled the aforementioned "BitDefender NDIS Firewalldriver", and now I am running BitDefender in the deep scan mode for about a half of hour without any freezes. So far it is the best result for BitDefender. My negative experience with this product far outweighs its still potential benefits; so far an installation of BitDefender was like a virus outbreak to me, and it looks like that I am not alone with such experience. I swear that if I have any one more problem I will uninstall BitDefender, will never ever buy it, and will try my best to protect other people from the making the same mistake.

• I had exactly the same problem. I have Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP1, it is the first time I use BitDefender, previously I used Kaspersky and liked it. I have lost a half of the day yesterday after installation of BitDefender Internet Security 2009 12.0.12.1 (it was updated on installation to the latest build) on my computer, fighting complete freezes that happened every 5-15 minutes. I had to use hardware restart every time, and it made my software RAID very unhappy. These complete freezes happened even if I didn't use network at all, and just was trying to backup my system to an external USB hard drive. I have disabled both BitDefender antivirus and firewall but still had the same problem until I have completely uninstalled BitDefender; only after that the problem went away. So I was completely ready to write off a price of BitDefender and to explain to everyone what I think about this product, but after discovering this discussion I have decided to give BitDefender a second (and last) chance. I have disabled the aforementioned "BitDefender NDIS Firewalldriver", and now I am running BitDefender in the deep scan mode for about a half of hour without any freezes. So far it is the best result for BitDefender. My negative experience with this product far outweighs its still potential benefits; so far an installation of BitDefender was like a virus outbreak to me, and it looks like that I am not alone with such experience. I swear that if I have any one more problem I will uninstall BitDefender, will never ever buy it, and will try my best to protect other people from the making the same mistake.

The question is.....Is your firewall on and protecting you now?

• Unknown
    Options

Hello IamCanadian,

In order to try to get to the cause of the freezes that are occurring on your system we will need to analyze a set of specific reports that are generated on your machine. For this communication to take place we have created a support ticket ID in our database - Ticket ID 200905061007962 .

Thank you for reporting this issue to us.

• john305
    Options

I have run bitdefender on a few dif sizes of pc's runs ok on my q9550 useing alot of resourses but runs ok. When i put it on my amd athlon 3800 + 3 gig ram 6600 gt it killed it slow as a dog. In a p4 1.5 gig 1 gig ram also killed it. Also on many other dif systems older ones where lagged right out. Ok so dont say its the system it is the program, as my 3800 + runs win 7 64 bit rc 1 fine, also farcry and many other older games runs office 2007 fine but put bitdefender on it its a dog. This is not just a bitdefender problem its any big security suite av program. The firewall well no new users will ever figure that out. Parental controls does not ie have that. Once u keep adding and adding to a good program it eventually becomes a resourse hog. I want a simple firewall and av program, myself i personally dont want the rest of it in any security program. And have no need to watch my files being scanned as i never run a scan thats what the auto protect is for if you get a virus it stops it. Oh also the best protection is to stay away from pron sites. And no i did not run bitdefender on win 7 to test it it was on xp when i tried it on the amd. In win 7 it just does not work.But free avast does. So i would like anyone running min system requirments to give bitdefender internet security a try.

Min requirments are

Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (32/64 bit) or higher

800 MHz or higher processor

256 MB of RAM Memory (1GB recommended)

170 MB available hard disk space (200 recommended)

let us know what your experiance is there are a few companys under lawsuit today for there min system requirments ms is one of them. Personally i think the min system requirments are crazy for bitdefender lets get real. So i hope someone has a system that old to try it on and let us know.

• I ran into installation issues twice on two different computers, both running 32 bit Windows XP. Both had had Symantec Antivirus which creates a file sharing conflict with Bitdender 2009. My solution ultimately was to reinstall the operating system on both machines and then reinstall BD Internet Security 2009, which then worked. Otherwise the machines had become unusable. Bitdefender as a company needs to do a better job warning users about the perils of traces of past security software prior to installing BD. While I like the low resources use of the program, installation is not clean nor straight forward.