Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Can't Start A Scan

Options

I have internet security 2009 installed on 3 machines. Gave 1 machine to the Sis In Law and everything was good for a couple months. Now she says she cannot start any scans.

In basic view when she clicks on any of the scan options on the left nothing starts.

In advanced view in the antivirus/virus scan tab section there are no options in the system task area for any scans. It's completely empty.

Any ideas anyone?

Comments

• I have internet security 2009 installed on 3 machines. Gave 1 machine to the Sis In Law and everything was good for a couple months. Now she says she cannot start any scans.

In basic view when she clicks on any of the scan options on the left nothing starts.

In advanced view in the antivirus/virus scan tab section there are no options in the system task area for any scans. It's completely empty.

Any ideas anyone?

I thought Bitdefender Techs were monitoring and answering questions here? Am I wrong?

• We have a patch for this type of issue. I will send you the resolution by e-mail in a couple of minutes.

• I have exactly the same problem. Everything used to work fine (Vista business 32), and now it (2009 internet security, 3 pc's) always tells me there is a problem ('never scanned for malware', which is not true) and I can not start a scan. All my system scans are gone from the list, I can only start a scan I created manually. It is completely updated (last update today). I found another thread on the forum (http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=10738) describing the same problem and uninstalling/installing did not seem to help them. Did not try it myself, might do that later today. Any ideas anyone ?

• Unknown
    Options

Hello dannys,

In order to resolve the issue that you have reported please use the patches listed in this KB article - in case you have Vista as your operating system please disable User Account Control before running the patches:

http://www.bitdefender.com/site/KnowledgeBase/consumer/#547

Thank you!

• Hello dannys,

In order to resolve the issue that you have reported please use the patches listed in this KB article - in case you have Vista as your operating system please disable User Account Control before running the patches:

http://www.bitdefender.com/site/KnowledgeBase/consumer/#547

Thank you!

Hello Diana Bele,

Thanks for the support, the patch seems to have solved the problem. Is this a permanent fix, or did it just repair the problem but it could happen again ? Any idea what causes this problem ?

• Unknown
    Options

Hello dannys,

From what we have seen, this issue is caused by a file in BitDefender called "tasks_system.xml" that can get corrupted if you are running BitDefender and UAC in the same time on a Vista system. If you keep UAC disabled while running BitDefender you should not encounter this issue anymore.

• Orphan
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Hello dannys,

From what we have seen, this issue is caused by a file in BitDefender called "tasks_system.xml" that can get corrupted if you are running BitDefender and UAC in the same time on a Vista system. If you keep UAC disabled while running BitDefender you should not encounter this issue anymore.

dannys,

Please be advised that your machine is more susceptible to infection with UAC turned off!

BITDEFENDER needs to resolve these dangerous incompatibilities!

Cheers

Orphan

• Unknown
    Options

Hello Orphan,

BitDefender is a complete security solution that will protect your machine using a real time protection engine against a wide range of malware types. By turning off UAC you are not opening yourself up to these types of threats because the security offered by BitDefender will still be present.

• Orphan
    Options
    Hello Orphan,

BitDefender is a complete security solution that will protect your machine using a real time protection engine against a wide range of malware types. By turning off UAC you are not opening yourself up to these types of threats because the security offered by BitDefender will still be present.

Diana,

I must respectfully disagree with your comments.

Have you understood the myriad of BitDefender problems presented in the threads here? There are many cases of BitDefender not performing as allegedly designed. If BitDefender becomes defective and UAC is disabled, there is nothing left to protect a machine from infection.

Regardless of what BitDefender or any other AV manufacturer claims, NO SINGLE AV PRODUCT CAN PERFORM ALL THINGS!

Layered protection is much more secure and much less problematic. If one program fails, another program is there to carry on.

Regardless of the AV software/firewall used, User Access Control should always remain in use.

I tend to believe that the team at Microsoft has a wee bit more computer/code knowledge than do the people at BitDefender.

User Access Control works as it should, with or without BitDefender!

As I said previous, BitDefender needs to resolve their DANGEROUS INCOMPATIBILITY issues A.S.A.P.

Putting absolute faith in a single AV/Malware/Spyware/Spamware/Firewall program, is foolhardy and naive at best.

I guess we'll have to politely agree to disagree.

Cheers and have a GREAT weekend!

Orphan