Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bd Scan Engine Same As Kaspersky ?

In another current BD 2009 discussion there is a mention that "...ZoneAlarm uses Kasperky's antivirus scanning engine."

On first reading this I am doubting that this is correct. As I think about how difficult producing scanning engines must be, I start to wonder if there isn't some, if not much, "code sharing" going on. If so I imagine that there is also some $$$ sharing also happening to reward the successful programmers or whoever controls the code.

Do any of you know for a fact if this is true? If so, to what degree are the products similar?

Another "if so" question: Do they also share virus signatures?

No more questions.

Fungus

Comments

• Hello fungus,

The title says: "Bd Scan Engine Same As Kaspersky ?", but in your post you talk about Zone Alarm and KAV... kinda confusing. :huh:

Just to light up the situation:

- NO, BitDefender doesn't use anyone's engine, it uses it's own proprietary engines, created and developed at BitDefender HQ.

- YES, ZoneAlarm DOES use KAV scanning engine (an older version, as far as I know... I think is v7, but I might be wrong).

Engine "sharing" is a common thing between different antivirus products. What exactly is "shared" (source code, compiled engine, signatures) is defined in the contract made between the two companies, and of course that money is involved, because no antivirus company will just give their engines for free to anyone.

The BitDefender engine is used by other antivirus products also.

Cris.

• Hello fungus,

The title says: "Bd Scan Engine Same As Kaspersky ?", but in your post you talk about Zone Alarm and KAV... kinda confusing. :huh:

Just to light up the situation:

- NO, BitDefender doesn't use anyone's engine, it uses it's own proprietary engines, created and developed at BitDefender HQ.

- YES, ZoneAlarm DOES use KAV scanning engine (an older version, as far as I know... I think is v7, but I might be wrong).

Engine "sharing" is a common thing between different antivirus products. What exactly is "shared" (source code, compiled engine, signatures) is defined in the contract made between the two companies, and of course that money is involved, because no antivirus company will just give their engines for free to anyone.

The BitDefender engine is used by other antivirus products also.

Cris.

Thanks Cris for the info. Maybe I was up too late to keep my eyes open to read clearly.

Fungus