Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Windows Vista Users Please Read - Vista System Pack 2 Update Files Blocked

Options

i just updated my vista to service pack 2 and while it was updating bitdefender blocked some files

i know that im probably going to have to send the files to someone so could you please tell me how to access the files that were quarantined

Comments

• oritpro
    Options

Yep, same here. Got the black screen of death during the update. BitDefender flagged several SP2 files as generic trojans. Fortunately I was able to do a system restore back to SP1. Vista's repair feature actually worked, color me impressed!

But...this is the SECOND time BD has blocked important system files on me. Files that were not infected. I have never had so many problems with an AV product and have completely lost faith in BD.

Vista SP2 has been in beta for months now, there's no excuse for this.

• Rano
    edited May 2009
    Options

i had to do a system restore as well

• danton
    Options

Can you please tell the name of the detections ?

• Can you please tell the name of the detections ?

I had the same problem while updating Windows Vista to Service Pack 2. Some files were blocked and quarantined during the update and after a reboot I get stuck at a black screen and can no longer boot Windows. I had to reformat and reinstall the operating system from scratch and then reinstall Service Pack 2 before reinstalling BitDefender Antivirus 2009.

• mbk337
    Options

I had the same issue on one of our computers here that has bitdefender. What is the best way of recovering from the black screen without reformatting?

• oritpro
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I had the same issue on one of our computers here that has bitdefender. What is the best way of recovering from the black screen without reformatting?

When you reboot (might have to cycle power) you should see a menu with two options: Repair or normal boot. Select repair and then select restore when prompted--then cross your fingers.

Danton,

I uninstalled BD prior to updating to SP2 and installed a different AV product so I don't have a list of the blocked files for you.

• I had this problem too. I had noticed the files being quarantined but i had hoped it was just a coincidence but i was wrong. I hope they fix this problem by tomorrow. for now i guess I'll just go with service pack 2 because I don't want to go through all the trouble of uninstalling bit defender.

• hnyaji
    edited May 2009
    Options

Hi

Mcafee caused a serious problem for me four years ago due to corrupted signatures. exe files other than those of windows had their extension changed and could not be repaired. I had to format and install windows. Mcafee had a news on this as well. I stopped using Mcafee since then, after 7 years with them.

• mbk337
    Options

I was able to restore before the failure, thanks oritpro. I am going to do the same thing as shadow_coole, wait until BD fixes the issue. I don't use the computer enough in the first place anyways.

• Unknown
    Options

Hello everybody,

Thank you for reporting this issue to us, we are currently working on removing the detection.

For the moment please do NOT perform the SP 2 update for Vista, I'll get back to you shortly when the detection has been removed.

• Hello everybody,

Thank you for reporting this issue to us, we are currently working on removing the detection.

For the moment please do NOT perform the SP 2 update for Vista, I'll get back to you shortly when the detection has been removed.

I would say, especially as Bitdefender is so flakey under Vista, that the answer is: Uninstall BitDefender, install the important SP2 update, don't bother reinstalling Bitdefender. This is the second false positive I have come accross in recent months as I use Mozilla Firefox and Open Office, it removed important files from both these programmes. I'll be using a different AV programme in future.

• I would say, especially as Bitdefender is so flakey under Vista, that the answer is: Uninstall BitDefender, install the important SP2 update, don't bother reinstalling Bitdefender. This is the second false positive I have come accross in recent months as I use Mozilla Firefox and Open Office, it removed important files from both these programmes. I'll be using a different AV programme in future.

Same for me. I had Bit Defender on both my pc, and now both pc had to be reformatted. This is unacceptable. I could let the firefox bug slide, but something like this forcing me to reinstall Vista on both computers is not my idea of fun. Too bad I can't get my money back....

• Richter
    edited May 2009
    Options

Would someone could help me to access my Vista partition ?

I have of course the same problem and cannot find the issue to get a system restore...

Edit : I'll try the repair option read from above.

Fortunately, I have a XP-boot.

This problem is just unacceptable from BitDefender.

I would NOT continue to support this product, this is the second time I have big problem using this software.

• I had this problem too. I had noticed the files being quarantined but i had hoped it was just a coincidence but i was wrong. I hope they fix this problem by tomorrow. for now i guess I'll just go with service pack 2 because I don't want to go through all the trouble of uninstalling bit defender.

BitDefender is easy to remove using www.bitdefender.com/uninstall you can then find a suitable replacement AV product of your choice. There are many good free ones, but I cannot suggest any as my post will be removed again.

• Would someone could help me to access my Vista partition ?

I have of course the same problem and cannot find the issue to get a system restore...

Edit : I'll try the repair option read from above.

Fortunately, I have a XP-boot.

This problem is just unacceptable from BitDefender.

I would NOT continue to support this product, this is the second time I have big problem using this software.

You will need to boot from the Vista CD.

• Richter
    Options
    You will need to boot from the Vista CD.

I just tried to boot from the Vista CD but it was only asking me for an install..

XP is on C: and my Vista is on D: is this the problem ?

• Richter
    edited May 2009
    Options

I finally succeed to access all the menu.

I tried a repair : not working.

I tried a windows restoration : impossible.

I tried a system restoration : impossible.

I guess my only choice would be to re-install Vista on my partition.

Will I lose all my programs and parameters even if I don't format but just install old Vista on the new one ?

• I finally succeed to access all the menu.

I tried a repair : not working.

I tried a windows restoration : impossible.

I tried a system restoration : impossible.

I guess my only choice would be to re-install Vista on my partition.

Will I lose all my programs and parameters even if I don't format but just install old Vista on the new one ?

You will lose your programmes, back up your data first.

• Richter
    Options

I had some back-up on another partition but it has not been enough.

I'm using computers since a long time and I've never seen such a mess with an Antivirus.

I'm definitely quitting this crappy software and would surely make my adventure known on the web.

The FF and OoO bug was very bad, but this is the worst thing I've ever seen.

• I am a computer repair company and used to supply Bitdefender. I stopped because of the various Vista bugs. Now I've completely lost faith in it and have removed all my 'Not for resale' packages and will never recommend it again.

• tech-22
    Options

Started off this morning with BitDefender deleting the installation software for my new MESH PC.

Now the problem with Vista Service Pack 2 ...

I have been a long time user or BitDefender

THAT'S IT - UNINSTALL BITDEFENDER - IT IS C____

• AndreiRC
    Options
    Hello everybody,

And for those who already did the SP 2 update? What happens with them?

I didn't get any errors during the update install,

• Unknown
    Options

Hello,

The false positive for Vista SP2 has been removed - please update BitDefender in order to make sure that the signature that fixes this issue was installed.

• AndreiRC
    Options

You didn't answer my question, what happens with the people that already did the SP2? Do I have to do the SP2 update again so I make sure there are no problems?

• tech-22
    Options

too late - BitDefender removed.

This has been happening too often - I can't take the stress ...

• LoneGunman
    edited May 2009
    Options
    You didn't answer my question, what happens with the people that already did the SP2? Do I have to do the SP2 update again so I make sure there are no problems?

When did you install SP2? It's possible you received the BD update before installing it.

Sometimes I really wish I would take my time and wait for other people to install new updates. Sadly I'm usually one of the people who tries stuff out first and as a result of this issue with BD I have been left with a trashed laptop after installing SP2. System restore failed for me so I had no choice but to rebuild the machine.

I'm so glad that I didnt install it on all of my machines and if it wasn't for the fact that I recently renewed BD I would now be uninstalling it and ditching it for another product.

I think BD owes me and anyone else in this situation an apology and possibly compensation in some way for the time I've had to spend rebulding my machine! Surely (obviously not) someone at BD would have tested the release candidate for SP2 on a machine with BD and spotted this issue before the final SP2 was released?

• Unknown
    Options

Hello AndreiRC,

If you did not receive any type of notification from BitDefender of certain files that were quarantined then it means that you installed SP 2 for Vista after the update in BitDefender was released. In this case it means that SP2 was installed successfully and you do not need to take any additional steps.

• AndreiRC
    edited May 2009
    Options

I installed SP2 some 40 minutes ago. BD signalled a file in Windows\winsxs\Temp\Pending Renames with some Troj.Heur virus before the computer restarted for the update, and the file was quarantined. During the install, I got no messages that there were any problems.

Now I took the file out and all is fine. But I'm worried that the update might've been screwed up.

• tech-22
    Options

Pending Renames was the file in question - but I did get the black screen lock on the restart ...

• bjproc
    edited May 2009
    Options

with those who have the files in quarantine, do we just restore them? (after we have updated bitdefender)

(bitdefender 2008)

• AndreiRC
    Options

I did an uninstall and a re-install of SP2, just to make sure. Everything went fine. The file in question disappeared on its own after the computer did a system restore.

• john305
    edited May 2009
    Options

Well i want sp2 and won't take the chance of messing up my pc. Thank You to the guys that posted here. I think its a mess to have a av program do that and am sorry to hear it. But i will remove bitdefender and take no more chances with it.

• hnyaji
    edited May 2009
    Options

Hi

problems like this with an antivirus programme are common and if you want to uninstall it due to this, you would end up with no antivirus on your system.

• Unknown
    Options

Hi there - while posting on this forum please make use of proper English. IM or lazy writing such as (sry instead of sorry, not using the right punctuation signs, etc) will not be tolerated. It's not nice to have other people spending time on deciphering your words, especially taking into consideration that everybody else tries to write as correct as possible.

• john305
    Options

Really well I am sorry for you not being able to understand my post. I did not think this was English class, and also on the net we have many abbreviations that everyone uses. I do try and stay away from them here if you had noticed my other posts you would have seen that. But I am quiet sure everyone understands sry, I made a mistake I apologize to you T-B0N3. I guess since your program messed up big time you chose this way to try and belittle someone well it did not work. I would personally try to help some of the people here and not worry about there education, myself I have no problem with English but you have to understand your answer includes all of your users some may not speak English well or understand punctuation due to limited education, Your comment is a poor poke at those people.

Thank You for your Response

• Really well I am sorry for you not being able to understand my post. I did not think this was English class, and also on the net we have many abbreviations that everyone uses. I do try and stay away from them here if you had noticed my other posts you would have seen that. But I am quiet sure everyone understands sry, I made a mistake I apologize to you T-B0N3. I guess since your program messed up big time you chose this way to try and belittle someone well it did not work. I would personally try to help some of the people here and not worry about there education, myself I have no problem with English but you have to understand your answer includes all of your users some may not speak English well or understand punctuation due to limited education, Your comment is a poor poke at those people.

Thank You for your Response

Quoted for emphasis.

• john305
    Options

And now for a bit of humour. I'd like to know perfect english and grammar but I am too busy trying to fix all the problems your program is causing to have the time to fully spell out all my words.

HeHe

• oritpro
    Options
    Hi there - while posting on this forum please make use of proper English. IM or lazy writing such as (sry instead of sorry, not using the right punctuation signs, etc) will not be tolerated. It's not nice to have other people spending time on deciphering your words, especially taking into consideration that everybody else tries to write as correct as possible.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot ...over?

• Hi

problems like this with an antivirus programme are common and if you want to uninstall it due to this, you would end up with no antivirus on your system.

I don't think it is fair to say that problems like this are common, it basically corrupted the install of a service pack and left some computers unable to boot up. That really is unacceptable when you are paying for a program to protect you from catastrophes.

Really???? This is what you guys are concerned about, people not using abbreviations that 99% of people reading the forum would have understood. There are hundreds of people running BitDefender today who can't even boot into Vista because of this mistake, and THIS is what you guys are worried about.

• So, I installed SP2 last night on my x64 Vista SP1 and got the error something like "0xc000034 amd64_microsoft-windows-s..ive-blackbox-d..."

I tried to use the vista disc for system restore, but no restore points were found! Could anyone tell me what to do because my system will not let me boot up to uninstall bitdefender. I'm going to try and manually remove bitdefender files.

Could anyone help because I don't really want to reformat the computer....

• Keith Weisshar
    edited May 2009
    Options
    So, I installed SP2 last night on my x64 Vista SP1 and got the error something like "0xc000034 amd64_microsoft-windows-s..ive-blackbox-d..."

I tried to use the vista disc for system restore, but no restore points were found! Could anyone tell me what to do because my system will not let me boot up to uninstall bitdefender. I'm going to try and manually remove bitdefender files.

Could anyone help because I don't really want to reformat the computer....

I had the same issue as well.

• john305
    Options

Hi well after windows runs a major error like that you can try different fixes but they never seem to work fully .You can never say its fully fixed as performance will suffer. I own a pc business I sold my customers bitdefender they updated to sp2 also i have 15 systems sitting on the floor now which I will format and reinstall at my own expense its the only way to make sure it has a good install. Windows xp had a repair option but vista does not have that. I hope it all goes well for you.

• Is there a way to manually remove bitdefender? Manual as in not using the bitdefender uninstaller. I'm actually imaging my drive at the moment with nero ghost because i'm going to try and "upgrade" my vista.

Does anyone how if it's possible to reinstall vista without losing data like you could do in xp?

I was hoping i could "upgrade" my vista, but I'm already using ultimate.

• Sorry for double posting, but i can't seem to find the edit button.

Is it possible to execute the bitdefender uninstaller through command prompt when booting from vista dvd?

• john305
    Options

The one way to do this if you need the information from the drive is , unplug the drive that has vista use a different drive install vista on it ,then plug the other vista drive in as slave and copy what ever information you need from it

• richardho
    edited May 2009
    Options

Hi guys,

I too was bitten by this one. It hung during the installation, and system restore showed no restore points.

After several hours of messing around, I managed to get SP2 installed without having to reimage my drive. Here's how I did it:

1. Remove drive from your computer.

2. Connect drive to another machine using a USB enclosure or similar device. This is so that you can view the contents of the drive.

3. Browse to the ProgramData\BitDefender\Desktop\Quarantine folder. You should see a bunch of .bdq and .xml files.

4. Find the XML file that contains the following file name: 5458b6349bdec901622f00003401280f.x86_microsoft-windows-s..ive-blackbox-driver_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6002.18005_none_0b5dfb3fa4f88147_spsys.sys_95b9c9e3.

5. Rename the .bdq file that has the same name as the .xml file you just found. If there are more than one .xml files that contain the same name, then rename the .bdq file that has a size of 699KB.

6. Open up a new Windows Explorer window and browse to \Windows\winsxs\Temp\PendingRenames\ on your connected drive.

7. Change the owner of the PendingRenames directory to yourself: right-click on PendingRenames -> Properties -> Security tab -> advanced button -> Owner tab -> Edit button.

8. Copy the renamed file in step 5 to \Windows\winsxs\Temp\PendingRenames\.

9. Power down your drive and put it back into your original computer.

10. Start up your computer. The install should now go through properly.

And optional step:

11. Uninstall BitDefender.

That's it! It's pretty involved, but at least it was less time that it would take to reimage my machine and reinstall everything again. I'll blog this in more detail with a few screenshots and post the link up tonight.

Hope this helps someone else avoid my pain!

-Rich.

• oritpro
    Options

Blah1234,

Historically, Windows works best if installed on a clean system, upgrades are usually problematic. If there were no restore points on your system then that feature might have been turned off for some reason.

At this point you might be better off copying the data off your system and doing a fresh Vista install. If you are familiar with Linux or know somebody who is then download and burn the latest Knoppix or Ubuntu ISO. They support the NTFS system which will allow you to copy the data off your system to another hard drive or a network share.

Now might be a good time to check out the Win 7 Release Candidate b7100. You can grab a copy from Microsoft.com and use it until March 2010 at which point it will only run for two hours at a time until June or July, then it expires.

Win 7 is really nice, I've been working with it since early beta and am quite impressed; and this is a huge compliment coming from a Linux expert, I am no fan of Microsoft. My system is dual boot Vista and Win7. Even if BD destroyed my system beyond recovery I still had another working operating system to go with.

• Hi guys,

I too was bitten by this one. It hung during the installation, and system restore showed no restore points.

After several hours of messing around, I managed to get SP2 installed without having to reimage my drive. Here's how I did it:

2. Connect drive to another machine using a USB enclosure or similar device. This is so that you can view the contents of the drive.

3. Browse to the ProgramData\BitDefender\Desktop\Quarantine folder. You should see a bunch of .bdq and .xml files.

4. Find the XML file that contains the following file name: 5458b6349bdec901622f00003401280f.x86_microsoft-windows-s..ive-blackbox-driver_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6002.18005_none_0b5dfb3fa4f88147_spsys.sys_95b9c9e3.

5. Rename the .bdq file that has the same name as the .xml file you just found. If there are more than one .xml files that contain the same name, then rename the .bdq file that has a size of 699KB.

6. Open up a new Windows Explorer window and browse to \Windows\winsxs\Temp\PendingRenames\ on your connected drive.

7. Change the owner of the PendingRenames directory to yourself: right-click on PendingRenames -> Properties -> Security tab -> advanced button -> Owner tab -> Edit button.

And optional step:

That's it! It's pretty involved, but at least it was less time that it would take to reimage my machine and reinstall everything again. I'll blog this in more detail with a few screenshots and post the link up tonight.

-Rich.

Nice,

I think that might work. The only thing is my OS drive is set up in Raid. So it'll be a bit troublesome hooking it to another computer.

Do you happen to know any live windows cd that I could work with? I know there live cd of linux, but those can't read NTFS filesystem right?

• specops
    Options
    Hi guys,

And optional step:

-Rich.

What should we rename the .bdq file to?

• What should we rename the .bdq file to?

Rename the .bdq file to:

5458b6349bdec901622f00003401280f.x86_microsoft-windows-s..ive-blackbox-driver_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6002.18005_none_0b5dfb3fa4f88147_spsys.sys_95b9c9e3

I'll update the post.