Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Windows Vista Users Please Read - Vista System Pack 2 Update Files Blocked

Options
2»

Comments

• specops
    Options
    Rename the .bdq file to:

5458b6349bdec901622f00003401280f.x86_microsoft-windows-s..ive-blackbox-driver_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6002.18005_none_0b5dfb3fa4f88147_spsys.sys_95b9c9e3

I'll update the post.

Ok thanks a bunch! I'll try it now even though I already wiped my system, i still have the old system on the windows.old folder so it can be restored via command prompt (fingers crossed).

• Okay, It works! THANK YOU.

Since i have a raid hdd, taking it to another computer is too inconvenient.

Luckily i have a bootable windows xp live usb and used that to modify my files. Sadly it doesn't allow me to change users permissions. But what nice about the vista install dvd is that it'lll allow you to merge folders. So just rename the .bdg files and put it in a folder with the same name.

Once your in vista repair (using the install dvd), use the "load drivers" to browse through your files. You will only be able to see folders and driver files and nothing else, but it'll still let you copy and merge folders. Once you're done, just restart the computer and cross your fingers =P.

BTW,

what code-monkey meant by renaming "bdg" is just to remove the .bdg extension.

I'm not sure if this is different in Bitdefender 2009 total security, but the quarantine files is named differently (doesn't use the file quarantined original name). However, if you open the xml file using notepad, it'll tell you the corresponding .bdg file's original name. Just copy and paste the file name. =P

Good luck to you all, and thank code-monkey!

PS. It's late and I have class tomorrow, so sorry if I'm not making any sense here.

• cazals
    Options

I installed SP2 yesterday but i noticed files were put in quarantine so i did not reboot my computer as I knew i would get errors. Unfortunately it is impossible to restore files from the quarantine or to uninstall the SP2 update as it has not been finalised yet.

Do I have to reinstall SP2 by downloading it on microsoft's website?

Do I have to delete the files from quarantine?

Shall I just reboot and use a restore point instead of normal boot (knowing that's not going to work)?

Thank you for your help. I bought a HP laptop with Vista installed but no DVD was given.

• Emile
    Options

Hello,

I waited till BiT Defender updated and installed SP2 without any problem.

• Glad to be of help. Anything to avoid a system rebuild :)

I wasn't able to update the original post, but if you're interested I wrote about this in a bit more detail on my blog: http://hoathome.wordpress.com/2009/05/28/b...sta-sp2-update/

-Rich.

• Well I got bit too. Only BD hung in the process. Had to reboot. Then, no more Vista. No ability to repair. No restore.

Full vista reinstall required. I've just lost this next weekend and a couple weeks of evenings to get my system back to spec. I've liked BD in the past but this really ###### me off.

• It was annoying but I took advantage of it.

My comp had been getting bloated for two years. It was do for a format/re-install. Its now lean and mean and BD free. (Av@st is free)

One caveat. The BD issue created 7 bootprom files. Yes. 7! One for each time I attempted a restore.

So I pretty much had to format -mbr

Before format I used knoppix to get the files I need off the drive. For those who are not used to testing for iso corruption or burning .iso to CD either follow the instructions at knoppix.net or just use a flash drive in dos. (I did dos while downloading knoppix iso)

I got to dos by booting from the Vista DVD and starting a restore, and canceling at Startup Restore (it just goes on forever anyway). I then clicked the link for advanced restore and diagnostics and Command Prompt was an option. It can load USB storgae devices that contain their own drivers.

• One question...I renewed the license a few months back. Can I get a refund for the remainder?

• john305
    Options

Hi this is just a little bit of information on installing sp and drivers. When installing a service pack it tells you to disable your antivirus program same as it does to install drivers video drivers make a big deal of telling you to disable your antivirus the same way sp2 does when you install it. I know this may not help now but its definitely a must do for next time.

• Good point. However, I was prompted by BitDefender itself that I needed to "fix" an issue. I hit the button...

I guess even running the SP2 update through the BD interface wasn't good enough. If I had just waited a day. Oh well.

Hi this is just a little bit of information on installing sp and drivers. When installing a service pack it tells you to disable your antivirus program same as it does to install drivers video drivers make a big deal of telling you to disable your antivirus the same way sp2 does when you install it. I know this may not help now but its definitely a must do for next time.
  • john305
    Options

Yes well I had bitdefender internet security installed, I did not update it. I did as sp2 said turn off the antivirus and I unchecked all bitdefender from startup rebooted. Installed sp2 not one error rebooted turned bitdefender on again no problems and did a update. But also since I have received no answer on when 4 or 5 errors that bitdefender runs all the time would be fixed I have since removed it.

• Yes well I had bitdefender internet security installed, I did not update it. I did as sp2 said turn off the antivirus and I unchecked all bitdefender from startup rebooted. Installed sp2 not one error rebooted turned bitdefender on again no problems and did a update. But also since I have received no answer on when 4 or 5 errors that bitdefender runs all the time would be fixed I have since removed it.

BaD is very useful : you can offer it to your worse enemy

• tuprware
    Options

The fix by Code-Monkey worked for me, but I had to go through additional hoops.

I use vista 64bit and I only use BD Antivirus, this service pack update had my system stuck in reboot.

The files in quarantine were renamed something totally different. I went to c:\ProgramData\BitDefender\Desktop\Events\history.xml opened it up in notepad and found the filenames at the botttom of the huge file. I copied the name and overwrote the two .BDQ files in quarantine. Just copy the entire name in the history.xml file and paste it as the new filename without the .bdq extention.

Then in order to change permissions I downloaded fileacl.exe and went into dos with the command to allow me to write/takeownership of the "PendingRenames" folder. My system wouldn't allow me ownership...someone else apparently owns my computer. I had to reboot in order for the permissions to work. Then I pasted the changed files into the folder and put the drive back in my machine and it worked.

Maybe the folks at BitDefender should try their product with the updates for 32 bit and 64 bit systems...

• john305
    Options

Ok once again in the sp2 install Microsoft says you are to disable your antivirus. As we don’t want a antivirus program scanning those files slowing down the install and possibly blocking them. So if these instructions where followed how did your files get quarantined. I did not update bitdefender only disabled it then installed sp2 with no problem on 64 bit vista. And yes it is nice Code-Monkey came up with a fix for those that did not disable there antivirus program.

• This is just ridiculous! Of course I had big time issues installing the Vista Service Pack 2 with BitDefender. I had to restore my system twice. The Firefox issue was one thing and now this!? BitDefender you are causing more issues than resolving them.

• The_Virus
    edited June 2009
    Options
    The fix by Code-Monkey worked for me, but I had to go through additional hoops.

I use vista 64bit and I only use BD Antivirus, this service pack update had my system stuck in reboot.

The files in quarantine were renamed something totally different. I went to c:\ProgramData\BitDefender\Desktop\Events\history.xml opened it up in notepad and found the filenames at the botttom of the huge file. I copied the name and overwrote the two .BDQ files in quarantine. Just copy the entire name in the history.xml file and paste it as the new filename without the .bdq extention.

Then in order to change permissions I downloaded fileacl.exe and went into dos with the command to allow me to write/takeownership of the "PendingRenames" folder. My system wouldn't allow me ownership...someone else apparently owns my computer. I had to reboot in order for the permissions to work. Then I pasted the changed files into the folder and put the drive back in my machine and it worked.

Maybe the folks at BitDefender should try their product with the updates for 32 bit and 64 bit systems...

Could you please explain what command exactly you are using with "fileacl.exe" to change the permissons of "PendingRenames" folder?!

A week ago I installed Vista SP2 RTM with Bitdefender Total Security 2009 64bit active. Result was the same as for erveryone, Vista wouldn't boot anymore. On my 2. partition I have installed Win7 RC1 which Im using since then. But in Win7 Im unable to copy the renamed file in the "PendingRenames" folder. The system says that I haven't the permisson to do that, although I've changed the permissons before.

It might be a problem with Win7 itself and thats why I want to try your method with "fileacl.exe".