Help Blue Screen Of Death!

My mom just installed Bitdefender Total Security 2010 on her computer, and when she was told to restart the computer in the installation process, it gave her the blue screen of death. She went into System Restore and went to before she had Bitdefender and it worked perfectly. She tried re-installing Bitdefender and got the Blue Screen at the same time, when she was told to restart her computer during the installation process. What do we do to make her computer work with Bitdefender?

She has Windows Vista and enough memory to run it.

Comments

• Hello LedZeppelin129,

For start please go to the next location:C:\WINDOWS\Minidump and reply to the email received from us, with the files that you will find there attached. Until we will solve this issue, we recommend you to install BitDefender 2009 as described in the email.

We are looking forward to your reply .

Thank you .

• Hello LedZeppelin129,

For start please go to the next location:C:\WINDOWS\Minidump and reply to the email received from us, with the files that you will find there attached. Until we will solve this issue, we recommend you to install BitDefender 2009 as described in the email.

Thank you .

I am having the same problem. Everything has been working fine since 2010 official released day, then suddenly this morning I've been getting BSOD at least hourly with one of the bitdefender .sys files (forget which exactly). I have 6 minidumps that have happened this morning. I uploaded them to:

http://rapidshare.com/files/274375206/minidump.rar.html

Please advise if this is a known issue and if you have a timeframe of when a fix will be released. I have been using Bitdefender for a few years now and this is the first problem I've had.

• I am having the same problem. Everything has been working fine since 2010 official released day, then suddenly this morning I've been getting BSOD at least hourly with one of the bitdefender .sys files (forget which exactly). I have 6 minidumps that have happened this morning. I uploaded them to:

http://rapidshare.com/files/274375206/minidump.rar.html

Please advise if this is a known issue and if you have a timeframe of when a fix will be released. I have been using Bitdefender for a few years now and this is the first problem I've had.

Oh, and as a quick followup.. the Blue Screen is happening because of BdfNdisf6.sys. This started only as of this morning. Was fine for weeks. Bitdefender shows it installed an update at 2:17AM here (GMT-5). Something in that update is probably the culprit, at least in my situation.

• Hello LedZeppelin129,

Thank you .

She is unable to take a screen shot of the Blue Screen because it shows up for a second and then immediately reboots. There isn't even time to see her desktop before the Blue Screen appears.

• aostang
    edited September 2009
    She is unable to take a screen shot of the Blue Screen because it shows up for a second and then immediately reboots. There isn't even time to see her desktop before the Blue Screen appears.

Try booting into Safe Mode by hitting F8 at boot and choosing it from the boot options. That should prevent the Bitdefender device drivers from loading and get you to the desktop. From there you should be able to get the memory dump files that they requested.

• Hello AOStang,

Thank you for uploading the minidump files. If you can, also please take the time to follow the instructions from the email that we have sent you and reply with the generated reports attached.

Thank you .

• Hello AOStang,

Thank you for uploading the minidump files. If you can, also please take the time to follow the instructions from the email that we have sent you and reply with the generated reports attached.

Thank you .

Done. The only problem was that there was insufficient time for the sysdump to take place before I got BSOD. The installed programs step takes over 30 minutes to run and I BSOD way before that. I let it run as far as I could before the BSOD and put those files in the archive after the system rebooted. I was able to run it fully with the firewall disabled, that is the second file link. FileInfo2008 ran fully and is in the first archive.

http://rapidshare.com/files/274743054/fw_enabled.rar.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/274744009/sysdump.tar.html

If you need anything else please let me know. Running with the firewall disabled has allowed me to use the PC for the interim, but is obviously not a permanent solution. Since it's been isolated to a change on your end in the past few days, hopefully it's not too difficult to narrow down the offending code.

• Has any progress been made on this?

• I also have the BSOD immediately after installing 2010 on a brand new install of Windows 7 FRC.

Behaviour is exactly as described in the first post of this thread.

Please advise

• Hello SnovaS,

As we stated in the next topic:http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=15252 there are some incompatibilities on Windows 7 between a driver from Realtek and BitDefender 2010 . This issue will be fixed and we will provide you more information's soon on how to apply the fix.

In case you do not have a Realtek network card, we suggest you to send us all the files that you will find here:C:\WINDOWS\Minidump . We have created you an support ticket and you will have to reply to our email.

Thank you .

• I saw that BdfNdisf6.sys was updated as of this morning. Re-enabled my firewall, let's see how long I last.

• Thanks. I have sent my minidump files via reply to your email.

Regards,

Mark

• Yesterday's update fixed my BSOD problem. If you haven't updated yet, you should do so.

• I can't update as I can't run BD even in safe mode in order to do the update.

Can you email me the fix with instructions where to put it?

I do have a Realtek card.

Cheers,

Mark

• Please try this:

Go into safe mode

Delete the files c:\windows\system32\drivers\bdfndisf6.sys and

c:\program files\common files\bitdefender\bitdefender firewall\bdfndisf6.sys

Restart

BitDefender should start but the firewall will not work

Do an update (the new bddndisf6.sys will be installed)

Restart again

• Please try this:

Go into safe mode

Delete the files c:\windows\system32\drivers\bdfndisf6.sys and

c:\program files\common files\bitdefender\bitdefender firewall\bdfndisf6.sys

Restart

BitDefender should start but the firewall will not work

Do an update (the new bddndisf6.sys will be installed)

Restart again

Hello,

I applied what you say but no bdfndisf6.sys file downloads by Update. I have more blue screen but no firewall.

Can you put your files for download to test?

Thanks

• I don't understand. After you renamed the file bdfndisf6.sys, do you still get blue screens?

• I've not renamed but removed the two files as you wrote.

After reboot no blue screen. I did Update but no downloaded files bdfndisf6.sys.

• Ok, send me a private message with you email address and I will send you the file. I can't attach files in the forum.

• Marmotte
    edited September 2009

Hello Berneanu

Super! BDS Total Secutiry 2010 works. Windows 7 premium RTM final (msdn)

I copied the file in " c:\windows\system32\drivers\bdfndisf6.sys" and then restarted. Le firewall is enabled.

Control Panel, firewall windows, it was enabled, I've disabled. BDS would turn it's off automatically. I have, therefore, copy the file in "c:\program files\common files\bitdefender\bitdefender firewall\bdfndisf6.sys" but other files do not have the same version. I have restarted but the firewall Windows l is still not taken into account by BDS.

I have made several tests and the BDS firewall makes many requests permission.

For info, I have Windows 7 ultimate and Norton, the firewall indicates that everything is handled by Norton.

Thank you again much!

Kind regards

post-26510-1253023106_thumb.jpg

• I'm glad it worked!

BitDefender only checks and disables the Windows Firewall on install, if you manually re-enabled Windows Firewall you should also manually disabled it. It is possible to use both firewalls simultaneously, but it is not recommended. I think that as long as the Windows Firewall is enabled, Security Center will show it as handling network traffic, but in fact both are.

• I left the disabled Windows Firewall because my tests showed that the BDS firewall was his work.

Perhaps a better version will be uploaded to some time it will be seen ^_^

• It seems that the plugin which registers the BitDefender Firewall into the Windows Security Center wasn't installed properly (most likely due to the blue screen after restart). If that bothers you, a possible solution is to reinstall BitDefender, restart and go into Safe Mode right after, replace bdfndisf6.sys and restart again.

• I believe that in "c:\program files\common files\bitdefender\bitdefender firewall\bdfndisf6.sys" (new file), other files do not have the same version (it is those installed first) that the new bdfndisf6.sys, this is perhaps that interferes.

Can you check if this folder files have all the same version (you have downloaded by update and all might have been replaced)? I thank you.

Excuse me but I can answer tomorrow if my contact is.

• The file that is running is the one in c:\windows\system32\drivers\bdfndisf6.sys

The one in c:\program files\common files\bitdefender\bitdefender firewall\bdfndisf6.sys is only used on install, it doesn't matter what version it has.

Anyway, the problem with Windows Security Center is not caused by the driver. There is a separate module which registers BitDefender as a firewall and which probably wasn't installed properly because of the blue screen.

• Hello,

It seems that the plugin which registers the BitDefender Firewall into the Windows Security Center wasn't installed properly (most likely due to the blue screen after restart). If that bothers you, a possible solution is to reinstall BitDefender, restart and go into Safe Mode right after, replace bdfndisf6.sys and restart again.

I forgot to say that I did well installed as this. For info, my contact has two pc and I audio on a pc, which allows me to guide it when I do not have access to the other pc in Safe Mode. Clean installation because uninstalling, passage tool cleaning BitDefnder with reboots.

The file that is running is the one in c:\windows\system32\drivers\bdfndisf6.sys

The one in c:\program files\common files\bitdefender\bitdefender firewall\bdfndisf6.sys is only used on install, it doesn't matter what version it has.Re : Thank you for the information.

Anyway, the problem with Windows Security Center is not caused by the driver. There is a separate module which registers BitDefender as a firewall and which probably wasn't installed properly because of the blue screen. Answer above

Thanks !

• Hello

I tried to install Bitdefender Total Security 2010, but after finishing installing, when I click on "Restart" I get an immediate Bluescreen. I have read about a problem with bdfndisf6.sys - a Realtek driver problem - and booted into Safe Mode and deleted the 2 files in the COMMON FILES and SYSTEM 32\DRIVERS folders, but without luck. After rebooting in normal mode, just before loggin in to Windows I get the BSOD again (on Windows 7).

Any help?

• Hello Sayonara0,

We have sent you a patch that should help you overcome this sittuation . Please reply with all the files from the next location:C:\WINDOWS\Minidump in case you have the same issue after that .

Thank you .

• Hello Sayonara0,

We have sent you a patch that should help you overcome this sittuation .

Thank you .

Thank you! The patch solved this problem.

• Hello Sayonara0,

We have sent you a patch that should help you overcome this sittuation . Please reply with all the files from the next location:C:\WINDOWS\Minidump in case you have the same issue after that .

Thank you .

How does one get this patch?

• I've also the same problem (more than twice BSOD a day). Can support team fix that issue soon and send a patch ? Is someone was able to resolve that issue?

• Could anybody send me the patch. I have the same problem with that driver.

Thanks.

• Hello all,

In order to solve the issue you are dealing with please download this patch on your computer.

Restart the computer in Safe Mode and run the patch. Wait for the command prompt window to shut down and restart the computer in Normal mode.

How to restart in SAFE MODE With Networking

- Restart the computer;

- Press the F8 key several times before Microsoft Windows begins to load;

you need to press F8 until you will be displayed a text menu;

- Select SAFE MODE in the text menu and press Enter;

- Wait while Windows loads in Safe Mode; this process ends with a confirmation message; click OK to acknowledge.

Please let us know if the issue persists after running this patch.

• Hello all,

In order to solve the issue you are dealing with please download this patch on your computer.

Restart the computer in Safe Mode and run the patch. Wait for the command prompt window to shut down and restart the computer in Normal mode.

How to restart in SAFE MODE With Networking

- Restart the computer;

- Press the F8 key several times before Microsoft Windows begins to load;

you need to press F8 until you will be displayed a text menu;

- Select SAFE MODE in the text menu and press Enter;

- Wait while Windows loads in Safe Mode; this process ends with a confirmation message; click OK to acknowledge.

Please let us know if the issue persists after running this patch.

Thanks, Carmen. I've run the patch and was shown:

this will take a few moments

The system cannot find the path specified.

0 file<s> moved.

1 file<s> moved.

finished

Press any key to continue . . .

I'm not sure if I should consider that successful or not, but I'm going to run the update to install the latest build. I'll report back in a day or so (or sooner if I get the BSOD again).

• I've run the patch:

this will take a few moments

1 file<s> moved.

1 file<s> moved.

1 file<s> moved.

1 file<s> moved.

1 file<s> moved.

finished

Unfortunately another BSoD 30min after resart. I've turned off bd firewall and I'm using Windows firewall right now.

• I've found my solution. After lost of my HD accessibility (1/3 computer) with 1st bad trojan detection (lost of files into quarantined folder but with funny filenames...) and now 2nd with BSOD... :blink:

I removed BIS 2010 and installed NIS 2010 on that one (windows 7 64bit). Have 2 other computer rinning with BIS 2010 (1 laptop unaffected for now and 1 desktop also unaffected for now).

If support team is unable to resolve this or create a third bug....this will be the start to move on another software (NIS 2010 in this case...running flawlessy).

• Got another BSOD after approximately six hours of uptime. It may be just coincidence, but I believe each crash has come within about an hour of starting PeerBlock and/or Vuze. I'll keep these off and see if my machine stays running overnight. These programs weren't a problem with build 13.0.19, but if it helps the development team track down and squash this bug quickly, it will be worth the test.

• Hello all,

In order to troubleshoot the issue you are encountering we would like you to follow the steps below:

1. Click on Start and then choose My Computer/Computer.

2. Browse to

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2010

- considering that BitDefender was installed on the default C partition

3. Double click on the supporttool.exe file - if you are using Vista or Windows 7, right click on the supporttool application file and select Run as Administrator.

4. Click on Next, wait a few minutes for the progress bar to complete and then click on Finish.

5. Go to the desktop and send us in reply to this email the file that was created by the SupportTool.

6. After each time that Blue Screen appears, a file is created in your computer with details about what caused that issue. Please upload the files on Sendspace send us all the files from the C:\Windows\Minidump folder.

It is better if you create an archive with all the files that you find in that folder. When we will receive the files, we will analyze them and then get back to you in the shortest time possible with a solution for the issue. The files in that folder are files created by the last Windows crashes and should provide us with enough information about it in order for us to be able to find a solution for it.

We are looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you.

• Got another BSOD after approximately six hours of uptime. It may be just coincidence, but I believe each crash has come within about an hour of starting PeerBlock and/or Vuze. I'll keep these off and see if my machine stays running overnight. These programs weren't a problem with build 13.0.19, but if it helps the development team track down and squash this bug quickly, it will be worth the test.

Another update. My PC was running over 14 hours (no BSOD), so I decided to test my hypothesis that PeerBlock and/or Vuze play a role in the system crashes. I let PeerBlock run for two hours and there was no problem (this makes 16 hrs running). I then closed PeerBlock and let Vuze run for 1.5 hours and this was also no problem (17.5 total hrs). I started PeerBlock again and left both it and Vuze running and about 45 minutes later I got another BSOD. The BSOD message included:

BdfNdisf6.sys

Address FFFFF88000DD3786 base at FFFFF88000DD2000, DateStamp 4b212145

It could be coincidence, but might also be worth checking whether PeerBlock and Vuze interact badly with BdfNdisf6.sys.

I'll also upload the latest Minidump to sendspace.

• Hello all,

The issue that you have reported has been acknowledged by our team and is currently being worked on for a fix. We will post here as soon as we will have any news.

At this moment, please try to disable the Firewall module and see if you are still receiving the BSOD error message.

We are very sorry for any inconvenience that we may have created and we rest at your disposal for further information.

Thank you for your support and patience.

• Hello all,

A new update was released to change the bdfndisf6.sys version which is causing the BSOD error message. Please update BitDefender and let us know if the issue persists.

Thank you.

• Hello all,

The issue that you have reported has been acknowledged by our team and is currently being worked on for a fix. We will post here as soon as we will have any news.

At this moment, please try to disable the Firewall module and see if you are still receiving the BSOD error message.

We are very sorry for any inconvenience that we may have created and we rest at your disposal for further information.

Thank you for your support and patience.

I've turned of the firewall and am relying on Windows 7 firewall. It has been seven hours since the last restart and six hours with PeerBlock and Vuze running (this combo seems to only last about an hour with the firewall activated). Everything is working fine so far -- just like with build 3.0.19. :P

But, seriously, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that a solution is found before long. I'm happy to hear it is being being investigated.

• Hello all,

A new update was released to change the bdfndisf6.sys version which is causing the BSOD error message. Please update BitDefender and let us know if the issue persists.

Thank you.

I hadn't seen this prior to my last post. I'll update and report back. Thanks to the team for the quick work.

• I've been running for 12 hours now with PeerBlock and Vuze running and everything is going swimmingly. It would appear the problem has been solved, but I'll only be sure after a few days of operation. I won't be able to test this for another week, but so far so good. Thanks!

• I've been running for 12 hours now with PeerBlock and Vuze running and everything is going swimmingly. It would appear the problem has been solved, but I'll only be sure after a few days of operation. I won't be able to test this for another week, but so far so good. Thanks!

After more than a week of testing it seems clear: The recent update that addressed the change the bdfndisf6.sys version that caused the the BSOD error message fixed this problem. Thanks for fixing it.

• My mom just installed Bitdefender Total Security 2010 on her computer, and when she was told to restart the computer in the installation process, it gave her the blue screen of death. She went into System Restore and went to before she had Bitdefender and it worked perfectly. She tried re-installing Bitdefender and got the Blue Screen at the same time, when she was told to restart her computer during the installation process. What do we do to make her computer work with Bitdefender?

She has Windows Vista and enough memory to run it.

Same problem on my laptop.

• PaulR: We are glad to notice that the issue you contacted us about has been solved. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any other questions.

Alex Curth: Please provide us with some details in order to be able to help you with this issue. Tell us what BitDefender product you have installed, on what operating system and if you downloaded the latest installation kit available.

Thank you.