Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Av 2010 Upgrade Adds +500mb To Drive?

Options

RE: C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender @ 444mb after new install and immediate updates

E drive increases 95MB

Greetings,

I have been doing a system cleanup, Windows XP, SP2. For the cleanup, I uninstall old software, cleanup the drive and registry of all dregs files/folders, then reinstall the latest updates. The last project of my cleanup was to update BD AV 2009 (which was purchased). You offered BD AV 2010.

1. I removed BD AV 2009, I manually cleaned up the registry and the hard drive of all BD oriented files/folders that I could find after the removal i.e. these files/folders were either deleted or emptied. Since I install programs to the E drive, I cleaned up/removed ALL BD oriented files/folders that were obvious on the C and E drives.

BEFORE install of BD AV 2010, my C drive was at 5,837,323,342 bytes

2. I downloaded bitdefender_antivirus_2010_32b.exe as instructed. I went to install it, the install offered a newer version. The bdav.msi was downloaded and the program installed. It commenced getting updates as usual.

After the installation of BD AV 2010 and the immediate subsequent updates to begin using it, the used space on my C drive increased so dramatically (at approx. 450MBs), shocking me, that I uninstalled the software and again cleaned up the hard drive.

I commenced again with installing bitdefender_antivirus_2010_32b.exe and did not accept the newer vesion to be downloaded and installed, thinking that was the problem. After installing the latter mentioned .exe and permitting it to do the typical updates immediately following, here was what I saw:

C drive increased to 6,118,288,456 bytes i.e. 280,965,114 bytes

The above size kept growing as BD updated. Today, not quite 24 hours later, this is what I have:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender <--- is now 444MB (466,523,309 bytes)

There are some other bits of BD installed files on the C drive but the above is the significant.

I do find these 0 byte files in the C:\ root -- I believe I have traced these to the BD install?

pc_sign.slf

pcconf.ini

pcwords2.dat

pcwords.dat

Today, about 24 hours later after this new install, my E drive install of the program is:

E:\BitDefend <------ 95.4MB (100,122,379 bytes)

In total, 566,645,688 bytes have been used up on my hard drive after installing BD AV 2010 and having it do the typical running update.

These folders are within the C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender folder

BitDefender Arrakis Server

BitDefender Firewall

BitDefender Threat Scanner <--- 328MB

BitDefender Update Service

Setup Information

I can hardly believe what I have seen in terms of the size of this install for a virus program.

Is this expected? Is this typical of AV program installs now? Is the install of BD AV supposed to increase hard drive usage by over 1/2Gb?

Tink

Comments

• Tink
    Options

Greetings,

This is a follow-up to the message I wrote on Oct 3rd, which received no response.

The final question in that message was:

>>Is this expected? Is this typical of AV program installs now? Is the install of BD AV supposed to increase hard drive usage by over 1/2Gb?<<

I had to uninstall 2010. I cannot permit a singular AV program to use 600MB of hard disk space, particularly when 500MB is placed on the drive/partition where the install was not intended.

I reinstalled BD AV 2009 (bitdefender_antivirus_2009_32b.exe, 52,444KB). Several days later, I notice that BD AV 2009 is now using 400MB of space (371MB on the C drive/partition, and 95MB on the E drive/partition).

Originally (late 2007) I purchased and recommended BD (for multiple machines each year) because it was sleak, effective and I felt I could trust it. It is certainly no longer sleak and I no longer feel comfortable with its trustworthiness -- it has permitted infections/problems which had to be caught by other online AV scanners.

I will not be able to renew my subscription in Dec. and must look for an alternative ASAP. It is a shame -- BD AV was once a favorite.

Tink

• Alex Stanciu
    Options

Hello Tink,

BitDefender files will occupy around 500 MB after the installation, due to it's architecture. One of the reasons you may find that the C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\ folder have around 500 MB is mainly determined by the BitDefender update folder, BitDefender Threat Scanner . In this folder you will find 2 av32bit_XXXXX folders. In one of them are stored the latest BitDefender signatures updates and in the other one the previous updates. Basically, there are 2 of them because, BitDefender needs to have a backup update folder, in case it necessary to roll back an update .

Also, the BitDefender folder where the virus signatures are stored, contains a file which stores all the virus signatures from that location. In this way, the system performance will not be affected, because BitDefender will only check a single location and it will not search for each virus signatures from that folder.

We are sorry that you do not agree with this sittuation and if you have any other questions do not hesitate to contact us back.

Thank you .