Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Itunes Crashes Playing M4p Files

Options

New BitDefender user as of today. Installed Total Security 2010.

When trying to play a DRM-protected AAC file (M4P estension) iTunes crashes. This problem was not present prior to installing BitDefender. Problem occurs on both machines I have installed on so far. I have tried playing the files streamed from another machine (via iTunes sharing) and by playing a local file on the machine itself.

MP3s and non-DRM-protected files (M4A) are fine. This is completely recreatable.

Any ideas?

Comments

• New BitDefender user as of today. Installed Total Security 2010.

When trying to play a DRM-protected AAC file (M4P estension) iTunes crashes. This problem was not present prior to installing BitDefender. Problem occurs on both machines I have installed on so far. I have tried playing the files streamed from another machine (via iTunes sharing) and by playing a local file on the machine itself.

MP3s and non-DRM-protected files (M4A) are fine. This is completely recreatable.

Any ideas?

More information.

Vista with all Windows updates installed.

I did an iTunes repair and it resolved it for that session. Evidentally the BitDefender installation hoses something related to iTunes. But, when I reboot that machine the problem returns. Then, another reinstall/repair of iTunes did not resolve it.

I'm stuck at this point.

• I've gone through some further process of elimination steps and pinned this down to the antivirus component. With that disabled the problem goes away. Also, if it's disabled then re-enabled while iTunes is running, iTunes continues to function okay (plays DRM protected files). If you then restart iTunes (with antivirus enabled) then iTunes crashes again when trying to play a protected file.

My AV settings are set to default. No other changes made.

• Sory for the post flood.

I do realize it is iTunes crashing and not BitDefender but this has only happened with the installation of BD so I was hoping for some insight from the folks here. Evidentally the BDAV component is blocking something in a nasty way causing iTunes to burp.

• Alex Stanciu
    Options

Hello Nezmo,

Just in testing purpose open BitDefender, click on the Settings button, choose the Expert Mode then click on Ok. Click on the Antivirus module then click on the Advanced Settings button under the Shield tab. Disable Active Virus Control and then click on Ok.

Let us know if the same issue occurs after that .

Thank you.

• e-saac
    edited October 2009
    Options

Hello all,

I've been experiencing the same problem with BD Internet Security 2010. My observations are the same :

1) I de-activated the Antivirus module of BD for 5 minutes, then started iTunes, played some m4p file : no problem.

2) While leaving iTunes open, I re-activated the Antivirus, then retried my m4p file : no problem.

3) I left iTunes, restarted it again, replayed my m4p file : iTunes crashed.

Alex, I've just tried your proposal : it works for me.

Anyway, with all these, at least, I now have a workaround.

• Nezmo, my workaround : just leave Active Virus Control enabled but add iTunes.exe to the exclusions list. This works for me.

• Nezmo
    edited October 2009
    Options

Hi,

Yes, turning off Active Virus Control also stops iTunes crashing for me too. However, If I re-enable it and then restart iTunes, iTunes does not crash. Very odd.

I'm leary of deactivating this option. This would seem to take away an important AV component.

I'll give the exclusions option a try.

Note, I had tried lowering the protection level to Permissive and that stopped iTunes crashing as well - even if I then customized the options to still scan ALL files.

Many thanks.

• Update - I see now that lowering the Protection Level to Permissive turns off Active Virus Control by default.

• So, we'll see a fix for this right?

• Please advise if a fix is planned for this?

If not I'll be forced to quit using BD (given all the other problems as well).

• dhl
    Options

We are currently investigating this issue. We do plan a fix for it.

• We are currently investigating this issue. We do plan a fix for it.

Thanks. I have been contacted outside of the forum in order to research this further.

• What's the status of this problem?

• What's the status of this problem?

Hi Nezmo,

A fix was delivered at the beginning of the November.