Installer Has Insufficient Privileges To Modify This File

I am switching to Internet Security 2010 - I uninstalled v10

After accepting the user agreement it installs the files and then give me "The Installer has insufficient privileges to modfity this file C:\Program\Common Files\BitDefender\Bit Defender Threat Scanner\TBD94.tmp.

Program than auto rolls it back and I am left with no solutions.

What am I supposed to do?

Comments

• Hello JunglePete,

Please try the next workaround :

1. Start your computer in Safe Mode.

- restart the computer;

- repeatedly press the "F8" key several times before Microsoft Windows begins to load (you need to press "F8" until you will be displayed a text menu);

- select "SAFE MODE" in the text menu and press "Enter".

- wait while Windows loads in Safe Mode; this process ends with a confirmation message; click "Yes" to acknowledge.

2. Now, click on Start from Windows, choose Run type "regedit" then click on Ok. Go to the next registry locations :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ , right click on the BitDefender registry entry and choose Delete ;

3. After that go to the next locations from your system :

C:\Program Files\Common Files\ and delete the BitDefender folder ;

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\ and delete all the files that you can, from this location .

Because in Safe Mode you are able to run a scan with BitDefender, there are some protected files which cannot be deleted . For example the following ones: bdshellext.dll, productinfo.dll and txmlx.dll or from the next location C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2010\ENU the bdshellext.ui file .

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ and delete the BitDefender folder ;

C:\Documents and Settings\<current_user>\Application Data and delete the BitDefender folder .

4. Now, you should reboot your system in Normal Mode and download one more time the BitDefender uninstall tool from the next link:

http://www.bitdefender.com/uninstall .

Run it and reboot your system when you will be prompted .

5. Download the BitDefender 2010 installation kit one more time from the next link:http://download.bitdefender.com/windows/de...ty_2010_32b.exe and run it .

Let us know if the same issue occurred .

Thank you .

• I just went through those instructions step by step. safe mode - reboot - uninstall - downloaded and reinstalled from the link provided. Ran exe and it said it could not install because the previous program was not unistalled properly.

I downloaded the unistall tool and ran it. rebooted before running exe so not sure what I am supposed to do unistall better than that

• myarmando
    edited September 2009
    I just went through those instructions step by step. safe mode - reboot - uninstall - downloaded and reinstalled from the link provided. Ran exe and it said it could not install because the previous program was not uninstalled properly.

I downloaded the uninstall tool and ran it. rebooted before running exe so not sure what I am supposed to do uninstall better than that

Hi

I had the same problem. Still cannot find a solution. I totally uninstalled Bitdefender on that XP machine and installed ****. Works like a charm. I got 2 other computers, one running Xp and another running Vista Home Premium. My registration ends in 3 days. The one on Vista has BD IS 2010 running ok. The other one on XP has BD IS 2009.

If a solution is not found in 3 days I wil have no choice than to install ****. on all 3.

So bye to Bitdefender although I have been using it for the past 5 years or so.

• myarmando
    edited September 2009

Hi again

I did all as suggested above and cleared Bitdefender totally(almost-some Arakis?? server items cannot be deleted from registry). Along the way I discovered (by myself) that my Administrator profile was corrupted or not OK. So I deleted it and created a new one.Created a system restore point at this stage. I successfully reinstalled Bitdefender IS 2010. But then......,upon restarting ,my computer froze. Reset-restart-re freeze. Re re everything one more time. Then I got mad and restored my sytem to the point before Bitdefender was installed. Deleted as much as possible all traces of bitdefender from my computer. Now I have my computer working again with ****. . Light as it has ever been before. So adios bitdefender for good on the other 2 laptops too. The End

• Hello JunglePete and myarmando,

JunglePete : Please try the instructions that I have posted here: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...amp;#entry65320

myarmando: We are sorry for the negative experience that you encountered with our product . We have sent this workaround to other users as well and the installation worked ok for them after that . If you want to try BitDefender again, send me a personal message with your email address and we will send you some troubleshooting steps that will should help you overcome this sittuation.

Thank you .

• Hello JunglePete and myarmando,

JunglePete : Please try the instructions that I have posted here: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...amp;#entry65320

myarmando: We are sorry for the negative experience that you encountered with our product . We have sent this workaround to other users as well and the installation worked ok for them after that . If you want to try BitDefender again, send me a personal message with your email address and we will send you some troubleshooting steps that will should help you overcome this sittuation.

Thank you .

Hi Alex

Done. I have sent you a mail with my email address. I am keen to give it one more go. But my registration ends on September 17. I hope we find a solution till then. I feel so uncomfortable about the whole situation, as I have been using bitdefender for so many years now.

Thanks a lot.

• It would seem that Advanced System Care was affecting the registry. I uninstalled it and was able to get the work around to work.

Now my issue is that BitDefender ###### away so much of the RAM that everything slows down when BD is doing anything. Frustrating.

• Confusion
    edited September 2009

I'm running BitDefender Antivirus 2010 on Windows Vista SP2 and I wanted to try reinstalling it. I got it uninstalled, but I went to install BitDefender again and I keep getting the error message "The installer has insufficient privileges to modify this file: C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Threat Scanner\TBD5F19.tmp" I've tried using the BitDefender_Uninstall_Tool.exe from the BitDefender website, but it doesn't fix the problem and says "Failed" next to "Delete Main Registry Keys" and "Delete Remaining Registry Values". It asks me to reboot, so I do, but then the installer just gives me the same error message when I try to install again. I've tried deleting the folder manually, but it says "You Need Permission To Perform This Action", even though I'm the administrator and only person who uses this computer. I attached screenshots of both the installation and uninstall errors. Any help is much appreciated.

post-27253-1253334347_thumb.jpg

post-27253-1253334365_thumb.jpg

• Sorry, I figured it out with some help from a previous post. I was having trouble because the post said to uninstall in normal mode after making deletions in safe mode, but it wasn't working for me. It wasn't until I tried staying in safe mode and running the uninstall in safe mode, and then rebooting and installing in normal mode afterward that it worked for me. Here's how I got it to work for anyone else having this problem:

1. boot into safe mode (hold down F8 during reboot)

2. click on start and type "regedit" into the search box and hit enter

3. go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ and right click and delete the BitDefender registry entry

4. Delete the "C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender" folder (it lets you do this ONLY in safe mode)

5. Delete the "C:\Program Files\BitDefender" folder

6. reboot and go back into safe mode

7. use the bitdefender uninstall tool at http://www.bitdefender.com/uninstall (while in safe mode)

8. reboot when it finishes and asks you to, and go into normal mode of windows

9. download the installer from http://www.bitdefender.com and run it in normal mode

if all goes well, it will let you delete and uninstall the files in safe mode that it wouldn't give you access to in normal mode, and then your system will be cleared of bitdefender and ready for the clean install.

• Hi

After initially installing IS 2010 I had a few problems, mainly unable to update.

After a lot of hassle and trying different solutions, I decided to uninstall completely, do a registry clean up and then re-install.

Install started OK but then stops with the following error:-

The installer has insufficient privileges to modify this file: C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Threat Scanner\TBD14.tmp

I have managed to renistall BD IS 2008 which is working fine.

A solution would be appreciated.

The laptop I am installing on is running Windows XP Home.

I have Is 2010 installed on my desktop, which is running Windows Vista Home Premium 64k, and it appears to be working fine.

Many Thanks

Dennis

• Hi

After initially installing IS 2010 I had a few problems, mainly unable to update.

After a lot of hassle and trying different solutions, I decided to uninstall completely, do a registry clean up and then re-install.

Install started OK but then stops with the following error:-

The installer has insufficient privileges to modify this file: C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Threat Scanner\TBD14.tmp

I have managed to renistall BD IS 2008 which is working fine.

A solution would be appreciated.

The laptop I am installing on is running Windows XP Home.

I have Is 2010 installed on my desktop, which is running Windows Vista Home Premium 64k, and it appears to be working fine.

Many Thanks

Dennis

Thanks for the email Alex, followed your instructions and all seems to be working ok. Still unable to configure home network but hopefully that will be solved by an update at some time.

Regards Dennis

• This is a nightmare issue and creates a lot of work for your customers. Had same problem but with Total Security 2010.

You guys need to get your act together...I am going on 7 hours of dealing with this problem. I can see the silver lining just now. If this does not work I am switching to Norton's new all in one product as CNET rates it very high...Bitdefender was not even reviewed.

By the way at one point I was able to install even with those registry settings still present and the only problem was the software could not update itself.