Can't Work Using My Vpn Connection.

I've been using BitDefender since 3 years ago and never had this problem. Recently I purchased BD Total Security 2010 and now my RealVNC connection to my office does not work.

My configuration of the programs involved is as follows:

Windows 7 Professional

Cisco VPN Client 5.0.05.0290

BitDefender Total Security 2010

RealVNC Enterprise 4.5.1

- I connect from my home (192.168.1.101) to my office using Cisco VPN Client 5.0.05.0290 and that works fine. When the Cisco VPN Client connects, I get assigned a fixed IP: 192.168.25.118. There is a rule in the office firewall that only permits my connection using ports 5900 and 5800 (the ones used by RealVNC) to my desktop (10.12.0.103).

- The new network (192.168.25.0) is detected by Bitdefender and I set both networks (my internet home connection and the new office network) as FULL TRUST.

- Whenever I click the existing VNC connection the program says:

"Attempting to connect to host..."

After 20-30 seconds or so, it says:

"failed to connect: Connection timeout (10060)"

- I tried adding rules, resetting rules and adding them again, with no luck.

- So far the only way I can make everything work fine is completely disabling the bitdefender firewall.

CONCLUSION:

There is something wrong with the bitdefender firewall, that even having all programs involved as ALLOW on any port, the VNC connection still gets blocked.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

- I completely disable the bitdefender firewall and connected to my office.

- Run RealVNC and connect to my desktop fine and start working without any problem.

- Reenabled the bitdefender firewall while still connected to the office and my desktop.

- After 2-3 seconds the connected session freezes completely.

And remember that I didn't have any problem at all with BitDefender Total Security 2008 or 2009.

If you need any additional information, please let me know.

Waiting for an answer,

Comments

• Hello rpareja,

We recommend you to follow the next steps :

1. Open BitDefender, click on Settings, choose the Expert Mode then click on Ok. Now, select the Firewall module go to the Status tab, click on the "Advanced Settings" button, then uncheck Block Port scan and click OK.Test in order to see if the connectivity issue is still present.

2. You can also try going to the Network tab, then in the Zones area click on the "+" sign and add the IP address of the VPN server(if you have access to this information) then set it to Allow.

If the connection is still unsuccessful please send us a complete set of reports generated by the tools available in this article:

http://kb.bitdefender.com/KB389 . Also, please include the files called "profiles.xml" and "rules.xml" located in :

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2010\Firewall and the "firewall.txt" file located under C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Firewall .

We have sent you an email and it will be more easy for us if you can reply with these files attached.

Thank you .

• Please also try to disable stealth mode.

• Exactly the same problem here.

BD 2010 firewall blocking Cisco VPN Client, despite trying everything recommended in this post.

With BD 2009 works fine.

Any fixes on the horizon?

Thanks

• Hello dcoklin,

Please please go to C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2010\Firewall look after the files "profiles.xml" and "rules.xml", upload them on http://www.sendspace.com/ then send me a PM with the download links.

Thank you .

• Hello,

It seems that one of the latest updates fixed the issue.

It is working now.

Thanks!

• I'm in the same boat, I just installed Internet Security 2010 and I can't connect to my office VPN with the firewall enabled. I'm running Cisco VPN version 5.0.02.0060.

• We managed to reproduce the problem in our test lab. We are investigating it and we will deliver a fix soon.

• The problem has been found and fixed. The solution is currently undergoing further testing, it should be put on update in a couple of weeks.

• I'm in the same boat too, I just installed Internet Security 2010 and I can't connect to my office using VPN .

• Aurelian Neagu
    edited January 2010

Hello,

My colleagues from the Testing team managed to reproduce this issue and a fix should be delivered through automatic update as soon as possible.

Unfortuantely we do not have an estimated time, but I will add a post to the correspondent topic when this will happen.

Once again please accept our apologizes for any inconveniences this situation might have caused.

Thank you.

• Hi,

We are facing the same issue, Bit Defender 2010 with Cisco VPN client.

Have you been able to troubleshoot the issue and have you a fix published?

Thank you

Hello,

My colleagues from the Testing team managed to reproduce this issue and a fix should be delivered through automatic update as soon as possible.

Unfortuantely we do not have an estimated time, but I will add a post to the correspondent topic when this will happen.

Once again please accept our apologizes for any inconveniences this situation might have caused.

Thank you.

• Hello all,

A new major update was released, Build 13.0.20, that has solved this issue. Please be so kind as to update BitDefender and let us know if the situation persists.

Thank you.

• Hello,

I have check the version, it is 13.0.20 but even with this version we can't successfully connect via VPN with the Cisco client and BitDefender 2010.

The OS is Windows 7, is there any know issue ? We must shutdown the firewall each time we wish to access through the VPN.

Regards.

Hello all,

A new major update was released, Build 13.0.20, that has solved this issue. Please be so kind as to update BitDefender and let us know if the situation persists.

Thank you.

• Hello zemadmat,

Please open BitDefender -> go to Settings and Switch UI to Expert Mode. Go to the Firewall module -> Network tab, select the Local/Wireless Area connection and change the:

- Trust Level to Trusted Local

- Stealth Mode to Remote

- Generic to Yes

Under the Adapter you should also have an adapter for your VPN connection. Please select it and set the:

- Trust Level to Full trustl

- Stealth Mode to Off

- Generic to Yes

Please also go to the Zones filed, select the Adapter and click on the + sign. Enter the IP address for the other computer, choose Allow under Action and click OK.

Note: You will have to enter the public IP address for the computer into the Zones filed. In order to find out the IP you can access http://showmyip.com/ and you will find it on the right side.

If you have BitDefeder on the other computer you will also have to set the rules above into the Firewall module on that one.

Please let me know if the VPN connection is working after following the steps above.

Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.