Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Xp No Longer Can Read Audio Cds; Dvds Open Fine

Options

Since installing BitDefender 2010, my XP Pro system no longer can access either of my DVD drives when I insert an audio CD disc. Movie DVD disks and data CD disks are read and opened normally. If I leave an audio disc in the tray while rebooting, after rebooting the audio CD can be read and played normally. If I eject and then reinsert the disk, it will be read again. However, if I eject it and insert a new audio CD, that CD will not be read.

When trying to access an audio CD in my File Manager program, although the disc is discovered (the icon for the drive changes), the disc cannot be read. I am presented with the message "An error occurred reading folder: incorrect function (1)"

I have uninstalled BD 2010 with no change to the problem. I have reinstalled it, but again no change. I have deleted both the LowerFilters and UpperFilters values in the Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. No change. I have installed a newer driver for one of the two DVD drives. The only change that brought about was requiring me to revalidate my XP installation with Microsoft.

Why has this problem only affected audio CDs? Because audio CDs play normally if I reboot the system with the CD left in the tray, I know it is not a hardware (laser) problem. How do I regain normal operation of my two DVD drives?

Tony

Comments

• Is there a way to get a list of what Registry keys with regard to the DVD/CD drives that BD may have altered?

Tony

• It's been a while since posting, and I've never had a response. As installing new drivers did not restore the functionality of the DVD drives to recognize and load music CDs, is there a known workaround?

Tony