Firewall Is Disabled

Comments

• may i please have the procedure, i am also experiencing this problem with my new installation of windows 7

Send the procedure to me too please. I tried the two files but still the same issue on 32bit win7.

• Hello all,

Unfortuantely this procedure is a little complicated and that is why we avoid posting it. We have sent you an email with this workaround and we would like you to reply if you have any difficulties in running those steps.

Thank you .

I'm having the same problem after I installed windows 7 64bit

• I had Windows Vista 64 bit before when I installed Bitdefender 2010 total security and everything worked fine. I made sure to update it before upgrading to Windows 7, but now the firewall will not work. Everytime I try to enable the firewall, it gives me the error message "Failed to communicate with the Bitdefnder Security service!" How do I fix this?

• I have the same problem with my firewall. Pls kindly send a copy of the procedure to me. My system is not safe.....

• may i please have the procedure, i am also experiencing this problem with my new installation of windows 7

• Hi

Just installed Windows 7 Upgrade and firewall now not working - 'Failed to communicate with the BitDefender Security service!'

Can you send me the fix instructions please.

Thanks

Tony

• I'm in the same boat as the last few - just installed Windows 7 32-bit today, now firewall is not working. Fortunately (or unfortunately for BitDefender), the firewall is the only thing that is not working with Windows 7 upgrade. When trying to enable firewall, I'm getting the message "Failed to communicate with the BitDefender Security service." BitDefender Internet Security 2010. May I please have further instructions?

• I have lost count of the number of people now that have said "Having same problems - please send instructions, please send me an email" etc.

For heaven's sake - if there were any instructions that WORKED, don't you think they would just post them on the thread?

If you look back through the thread there are details/links to a patch that can be applied to theoretically fix this issue. It didn't work for me (hence I have now uninstalled BD) but you could try it if you haven't already.

• I have lost count of the number of people now that have said "Having same problems - please send instructions, please send me an email" etc.

For heaven's sake - if there were any instructions that WORKED, don't you think they would just post them on the thread?

If you look back through the thread there are details/links to a patch that can be applied to theoretically fix this issue. It didn't work for me (hence I have now uninstalled BD) but you could try it if you haven't already.

Sad that no-one from BD seems to care enough to propose a solution.

When my trial expires in a few days that's it - I'm off to find software that does actually work ...

• This procedure does not work for me and I have the identical error.

What is the correct solution?

• My firewall on BD 2010 is disabled, and I am unable to enable it on my Win7 Laptop. It says "fail to communicate with the BD security service"

• My firewall on BD 2010 is disabled, and I am unable to enable it on my Win7 Laptop. It says "fail to communicate with the BD security service"

To add...I am using a 64 bit system

• cberneanu
    edited November 2009

The first thing you should do if the firewall isn't working is to uninstall BitDefender using the uninstall tool, reboot and reinstall. This is the easiest operation and with the greatest chance of success. If that still doesn't fix the problem and you feel a little adventurous, I'll post here detailed instructions to manually install the drivers. Please do not apply these instructions if you are not sure about what you're doing.

1. Create a file on your desktop named fw_install.cmd, opened it in notepad (right-click and then 'Edit') and copy the installation instructions for your Windows version into it.

2. Reboot into Safe Mode

3. Execute fw_install.cmd

4. Reboot

Windows XP install instructions

cd "%CommonProgramFiles%\BitDefender\BitDefender Firewall"
    snetcfg -l "%CD%\netsf.inf" -c s -i sw_BdfNdisf
    driverctrl -install -start-sys bdftdif "%CD%\bdftdif.sys"
    setloadorder -dep:tcpip bdftdif

Windows Vista install instructions

snetcfg -l "%CD%\netlwf.inf" -c s -i sw_BdfNdisf6
    setloadorder -dep:tdx bdftdif

Windows 7 install instructions

driverctrl -install -start-sys bdfwfpf "%CD%\bdfwfpf.sys"
    setloadorder -dep:bdfndisf bdfwfpf
    driverctrl -load bdfwfpf

If you want to do a clean install, run the following instructions to completely uninstall the driver (use the same steps, except named the file fw_uninstall.cmd) and then execute fw_install.cmd

BitDefender Firewall uninstall instructions

driverctrl -unload bdfwfpf
    driverctrl -uninstall bdfwfpf
    driverctrl -uninstall bdftdif
    snetcfg -u sw_BdfNdisf6
    snetcfg -u sw_BdfNdisf

• The first thing you should do if the firewall isn't working is to uninstall BitDefender using the uninstall tool, reboot and reinstall. This is the easiest operation and with the greatest chance of success. If that still doesn't fix the problem and you feel a little adventurous, I'll post here detailed instructions to manually install the drivers. Please do not apply these instructions if you are not sure about what you're doing.

1. Create a file on your desktop named fw_install.cmd, opened it in notepad (right-click and then 'Edit') and copy the installation instructions for your Windows version into it.

2. Reboot into Safe Mode

3. Execute fw_install.cmd

4. Reboot

Windows XP install instructions

snetcfg -l "%CD%\netsf.inf" -c s -i sw_BdfNdisf
    setloadorder -dep:tcpip bdftdif

Windows Vista install instructions

setloadorder -dep:tdx bdftdif

Windows 7 install instructions

driverctrl -install -start-sys bdfwfpf "%CD%\bdfwfpf.sys"
    setloadorder -dep:bdfndisf bdfwfpf
    driverctrl -load bdfwfpf

If you want to do a clean install, run the following instructions to completely uninstall the driver (use the same steps, except named the file fw_uninstall.cmd) and then execute fw_install.cmd

BitDefender Firewall uninstall instructions

driverctrl -unload bdfwfpf
    driverctrl -uninstall bdfwfpf
    driverctrl -uninstall bdftdif
    snetcfg -u sw_BdfNdisf6
    snetcfg -u sw_BdfNdisf

I used the above for Windows Vista 64 Bit and it re-enabled my firewall. For some reason, and I would like some explanation, yesterday my Bit Defender IS2010 went haywire. I mean, haywire. My VSSERV (Antivirus process) started crashing without any notice, only the greyed out icon. So I did a supporttool upload to BD and reinstalled, I then went into

this tailspin regarding the firewall. What's frustrating is that from what I read in this thread, other people are having the same problems. It shouldn't take months for BD to come up with a fix in the installer or otherwise to handle this. Likewise e-mailing instructions only adds to the frustration, post it here like this last posting has and be done with it. Also I was reinstalling from the download on your website, I don't know if that has something to do with it but based on other information I've latched onto the Oct 1, 2009 IS2010 package, all 134MB and will reinstall from that if necessary.

I do like the product but honestly, these problems are disconcerting to say the least!

:o

• I used the above for Windows Vista 64 Bit and it re-enabled my firewall. For some reason, and I would like some explanation, yesterday my Bit Defender IS2010 went haywire. I mean, haywire. My VSSERV (Antivirus process) started crashing without any notice, only the greyed out icon. So I did a supporttool upload to BD and reinstalled, I then went into

this tailspin regarding the firewall. What's frustrating is that from what I read in this thread, other people are having the same problems. It shouldn't take months for BD to come up with a fix in the installer or otherwise to handle this. Likewise e-mailing instructions only adds to the frustration, post it here like this last posting has and be done with it. Also I was reinstalling from the download on your website, I don't know if that has something to do with it but based on other information I've latched onto the Oct 1, 2009 IS2010 package, all 134MB and will reinstall from that if necessary.

I do like the product but honestly, these problems are disconcerting to say the least!

As I said in a previously censored post: the support for this product is terrible and I've switched to Kaspersky. Don't know why my previous post was deleted - it wasn't offensive but it was highly critical of bitdefender.

• I used the above for Windows Vista 64 Bit and it re-enabled my firewall. For some reason, and I would like some explanation, yesterday my Bit Defender IS2010 went haywire. I mean, haywire. My VSSERV (Antivirus process) started crashing without any notice, only the greyed out icon. So I did a supporttool upload to BD and reinstalled, I then went into

Did you restart you computer after uninstalling BitDefender? Did the problem happened each time you installed BitDefender? Did you got asked by Windows if it is ok to install the "BitDefender Firewall NDIS Filter Driver" and if yes, did you allowed the installation to continue?

Did you recently installed a Service Pack or did you upgrade your Windows Version? Did you use the uninstall tool to remove BitDefender?

• Did you restart you computer after uninstalling BitDefender? Did the problem happened each time you installed BitDefender?

Yes, I did shutdown after uninstalling the product via Control Panel->Programs and Settings etc.

Did you got asked by Windows if it is ok to install the "BitDefender Firewall NDIS Filter Driver" and if yes, did you allowed the installation to continue?

That dialog never came up. Every time I've installed Bit Defender, I've never seen this NDIS Filter Driver message that you're talking about.

Did you recently installed a Service Pack or did you upgrade your Windows Version? Did you use the uninstall tool to remove BitDefender?

Nope, Vista 64, Last updates were Windows Updates from Microsoft in October. The uninstall occurred via Control Panel->Programs and Settings->Bit Defender->Uninstall.

Like I indicated, On Monday Morning my BitDefender VSSERV service stopped repeatedly. 5 times during the day. I then did a supporttool session and submitted those results.

I then uninstalled and reinstalled via the Web Download of IS2010 on your website. I've now copied the 64 bit 134MB file from the other forum and will reinstall from that if necessary. I also didn't see any "Repair" option during all of this, only install or uninstall. I still don't have the AntiSpam integration on Outlook 2007, but that's another issue.

• Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. It would be of great help if others did the same.

• Dear Users,

I have recently upgraded from Vista x64 to Windows 7 x64 and for some reason bitdefender total security cannot start firewall.

Can anyone help?

• Hi

Just finished upgrading to 2010 and same problem. Please email the instructions also. Wouldn't it be smarter to post it on this forum so people can get this rectified as soon as possible. So its hard to do, sounds like alot of people have to work through it anyway.

Cheers

Adrian :D

• Greetings,

I'm having the same issue with the firewall. If you can send instructions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

• It is best to reinstall BitDefender after the update from Vista to Windows 7.

• I have same problem, waiting for answer

• I am also having the same issue. Can someone send me an email with instructions to enable firewall on my pc

Thanks

• Same problem here and I did reinstall!

• Well, I'm in the same boat. I guess I'll have to try the procedure that doesn't seem to work very well. I can't believe I paid for two years of this.

• Surprise!!!!! Well, I'm happy to report that Solution ID: 391 seems to have solved my problem. If I'd not mentioned it this was an upgrade to Windows7 and Bdts 2010. Hopefully the issue doesn't crop up again. Tech support, I appreciate the help.

• Same problem here and I did reinstall!

I don't know what version of O/S etc. you're using but the instructions at the top of this page and starting in SAFE mode fixed my Firewall issue. Give it a try.

• Please email me the procedure. I am having the same problem on 2 computers.

• Hello kunalkoool,

We have sent you a procedure that should help you re-enable the BitDefender firewall . Please reply to my email if you have any other questions .

Thank you .

Can you please send me the procedure because I have the same problem. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium. Thanks.

• dennisguy
    edited November 2009

I have just upgraded from Windows Vista Home Premium 64b to Windows 7 Home Premium.

I am having similar problems with BDIS 2010, can't enable firewall. I do not get any error message.

A solution would be appreciated.

Many thanks

• Hello kunalkoool,

We have sent you a procedure that should help you re-enable the BitDefender firewall . Please reply to my email if you have any other questions .

Thank you .

I have the same problem: I installed BDTS 2010 on my pc, but the firewall is disabled and while trying to enable it shows the error: 'Failed to communicate with the BitDefender Security service!' I am forced to use the MS Windows firewall--not my preference. Can you please send me the procedure so that I can enable the BD Firewall? Cheers.

• Hi

I have the same problems on my compueter. I would greatly appreciate if you could send me a copy of that procedure to re-enable the BitDefender firewall.

Regards

Marzy

Hello,

I seem to be having the same problem! Help would be highly appreciated.

Regards

• i have the same problem. i use Bitdefender Internet Security. please send to me about the solution of this problem.

Thanks

• Please help.

I recently updated my Bitdefender from 2009 to 2010. When i booted up my pc on saturday, it showed items that needed addressing. I pressed on fix issues, and one of those was firewall disabled. When I clicked firewall enable. It came up with the message failed to communicate with Bitdefender security services.

Can someone tell me where i go from here

Many thanks

• Helloo im having also same problem plz Help :) im using windows vista home premium and my BD internet security firewall is not working means not being enabled kindly help me thx

• Helloo im having also same problem plz Help :) im using windows vista home premium and my BD internet security firewall is not working means not being enabled kindly help me thx

I have the same problem..I can't enable the BD's firewall and also i can't find the button "firewall" from settings.. please HELP me....I use windows Vista home premium....please help me

thank's......

• Same prob here. Uninstalled and reinstalled BT2010 on fresh copy of W7 and can't enable firewall.

Two quick questions:

I saw the long post on creating an .exe file and running it with differing text depending on your version of Windows, does creating a file in Windows just entail a new text file? (right-click New-->Text File?) (I'm new to Windows from Mac.)

Also, how can I determine if I got the 64-bit version of BT?

Thanks

• I am having the same problem. Will someone from support please send me the email so I can fix this please.

thank you

• Bdts 2010 Firewall on Win XP. Can't Be Enabled -

"Failed to communicate with the BitDefender Security service!"

Support please send fix via email.

Thanks.

• I installed BDTS 2010 today on my pc.

But firewall is disabled and while trying to enable it shows the error:

'Failed to communicate with the BitDefender Security service!'

What can i do know. Pls help me to activate the firewall.

• I cannot activate my copy of Antivirus. It says that it cannot connect to bitdefender servers. PLease send instructions how to fix this, otherwise the product is useless.

• Yes I alsoo had this problem, I think this is becouse in windows 7 they did'n incorporate to see aditional firewalls in security of the control panel.

The only solution was to reinstall bitdefender.

• I installed bdts 10 today and my firewall is not enabling and a message pops up saying

"failed to communicate with the bitdefender security service"

can any one help me please

thank you

sabbah

• Having same problems with bdis 2010 following upgrade to windows 7

pls send me fix too.

• Same here with a clean install of Windows XP SP3.0

Firewall in DBIS 2010 won't start! --> "failed to communicate with the bitdefender security service"

Tried the patches and the fw_uninst.cmd / fw_inst.cmd ... no change!

Any other ideas, short of reinstalling Windows and reinstalling BDIS for the sixth time?

• Hello gilu and bugler,

@bugler: A BitDefender repair should help you overcome this issue. Please click on Start from Windows , choose All Programs and then choose BitDefender 2010 . Select Repair or Remove , choose Next when the new window will appear and then choose Repair. Reboot your computer when prompted and proceed with the repair process of BitDefender.

@gilu: We need to further investigate this sittuation and that is why we have sent you an email that will help you send us some reports, in case the BitDefender Firewall will still not be installed .

We are looking forward to your reply.

Thank you.

• Hi all I have the same problem. Would someone please email me the soloution?

[email protected]

• Bump!!

I would also like the procedure sent to my e-mail when someone gets a chance. Thank you! -Brian