Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

[solved] Not Enough Storage Error After Latest Update

Options

I have BD2010 AV running on XP SP3. After the major update was installed on 11/03/09, BD runs for awhile after boot, then the tray icon turns gray with the message "Services not running, please restart and contact support if the problem is not resolved". Two other symptoms occur at the same moment:

1. My mail server reports a "low storage" warning. My disk has 40 GB free space. I have configured it to ignore this warning for now.

2. Remote desktop connections are no longer possible, I get the message "Not enough storage space to complete this operation" when trying to connect.

The machine itself continues to function normally, apart from these two symptoms and the obvious lack of any virus protection.

If the machine is restarted, the symptoms go away while BD is happy. I can connect with remote desktop, and can stay connected if connected before the BD error occurs. After BD reports an error, I can no longer connect.

From what I've read of the remote desktop issue, the problem is likely a memory leak in BD that fills the Windows heap and/or the page file. Given that it takes awhile to occur, it may be associated with update activity. BD is the prime suspect because this problem began yesterday. No other updates applied. Also BD 2010 has been very unstable in general. I use it with 5 PC's ( all running XP SP3) and they all have had the same problems since upgrading from BD 2009. The most frequent issue is the BD pop-up saying that BD services have stopped unexpectedly, and asking me to restart them and send e-mail to support, which I always do. This error is almost always associated with attempted BD update activity.

Any idea when a fix might be available for this problem, or is there a workaround in the meantime?

Comments

• I also have AV 2010 on XP SP3, and I’ve been getting the error message “not enough storage space to complete this operation” when we try and switch users, instead of logging off. If I use switch users I get the error message and a request for a password then I have to restart the computer in order to log in again.

This started after the update at the beginning of the week and it’s very frustrating. Has anyone tried uninstalling BD and then reinstalling it? Does it fix the problems after the major update?

• I found the support article below regarding issues with the IRP stack size and certain anti-virus programs, that leads to the "not enough storage" message and log-on problems. I'm going to try this solution after 4 pm today, when my server should be idle. I'll let you know what happens.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/177078/en

I have limited access to my server, as it's in a secure network center. Without remote desktop, the only way to uninstall, re-install, and then test BD would be to remove the machine from the center. That would mean downtime for my users. Hopefully it won't come to that.

• I tried adding the IRPStackSize key to the registry as the support article suggests, but it did not work. I tried increasing the stack size variable in increments of 3, from 15 up to 24, without success.

Then I shut down all my applications/services on the machine. That did not help.

Then I disabled BD AV 2010 through the BD control panel. That did not help.

Then I uninstalled BD AV 2010 altogether. That fixed the problem, I can connect with remote desktop indefinitely.

I checked the event logs, there is nothing except the recurrent 7035 & 7036 events wherein the BD services continuously stop responding and are restarted. This is a common problem with BD 2010, I have noticed it on all my computers since upgrading from BD 2009 to BD 2010. BD 2009 was a stable product, I wish I could go back.

I cannot afford to use my server as a test bed for BD, so I left it uninstalled. I'll see if I can replicate the problem on one of my other machines. My conclusion at this point is that BD 2010 is not quite ready for general use.

• I do believe I am experiencing the same scenrio on my XP machine currently , only recently after the large update .

I will have to raise this to attention of Bitdefender Technical .

• Experienced same problem trying to remote desktop (RDC) to an XP professional machine that's running Bitdefender 2010 Total Security. Have now un-installed Bitdefender on that machine, and problem has gone away. This version also keeps "crashing" on me, so obvious issues with the release. RDC was working ok when I first installed Bitdefender, it appeared to lose the plot about 5 days ago possibly after an automatic update. Any solutions on offer?.

Thanks,

Sean

• Thought I'd add more weight to this thread and hope it helps.

Having the same problem on my XP SP3 PC with BD 2010. Having the same "not enough storage" when trying to use both logins on this PC. OK if only using the one login but as soon as you try to log in on the other I get the message and can't login on either usr without a reboot.

I too have increased IRPStackSize but no result. Was tearing out what remains of my hair until I tripped over this thread.

Also have problems with IE7 - pages randomly disappear. My home page was out for ages - blank page with "done" at the bottom tray. Reboot normally fixes. Started around the same time as not enough storage so thinking they may be linked. Again problems seem to increase over time so memory link theory holds water.

Will submit a ticket now but don't hold out much hope as I'm still waiting on a response from my last two weeks ago!

• After trying multiple different stack sizes I had no joy.

I entered into run : regedit to open up the registery editor in Windows XP.

The registry entry called IRPStackSize was not there so i Manually added the DWORD.

Going into the following in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

\SYSTEM

\CurrentControlSet

\Services

\LanmanServer

\Parameters

I believe this is something to do with a recent update for Bitdefender 2010 as I have never had any problems up until now , also the only issue is whilst trying to switch user , not the functionality of the product or its protection.

• I also have AV 2010 on XP SP3, and I’ve been getting the error message “not enough storage space to complete this operation” when we try and switch users, instead of logging off. If I use switch users I get the error message and a request for a password then I have to restart the computer in order to log in again.

This started after the update at the beginning of the week and it’s very frustrating. Has anyone tried uninstalling BD and then reinstalling it? Does it fix the problems after the major update?

I am also experiencing this same problem. I tried changing the IRPStackSize, but had no luck. Has anyone found any solution?

• I am also experiencing this same problem. I tried changing the IRPStackSize, but had no luck. Has anyone found any solution?

I also am experiencing this same issue on a Laptop running Windows XP SP3. When I go to switch users or when it goes into sleep mode and you come out, it gives an answer that there is not enough memory.

I rebuilt the laptop and reinstalled BD TS 2010 and the same thing happened. Uninstalled and it went away. The laptop is unusable at this point with BD 2010 installed and I can't re-install until it is corrected. Meanwhile the time on my 3 year license is withering away why the program doesn't work.

Is anyone addressing this issue? I see no responses from tech support.

• Alex Stanciu
    Options

Hello all,

We are aware of this issue and currently my colleagues from the Testing team are working on a fix . As soon as we have new information's from them, we will keep you posted . We are sorry for any inconveniences this situation might have caused .

Thank you.

• I got the same issue here too! I never thought it could be BDIS 2010 until i stumbled on this thread while googling away for my trouble. So i've uninstalled BD and Remote Desktop was back to normal.

way back BD was the best piece of software i had ever bought. But lately they are rolling out crap like the last big update. It's a shame becose the way i see it they are taking the "Nero Burning" way....you know the software for burning CDs which get whorst with every version.

• Same issue here: "Not enough storage to complete operation" when I attempt to switch users on XP SP3 box. Tried increasing the IRPStackSize hack to no avail. Performed a Repair from the BD folder and the system worked as it should for about a day then back in the ditch. I saw a suggestion in another thread that talks about installing a release version prior to the the latest one and not allowing BD to search for and and install an update. Anyone know where I can find the earlier version?

• Same issue here: "Not enough storage to complete operation" when I attempt to switch users on XP SP3 box. Tried increasing the IRPStackSize hack to no avail. Performed a Repair from the BD folder and the system worked as it should for about a day then back in the ditch. I saw a suggestion in another thread that talks about installing a release version prior to the the latest one and not allowing BD to search for and and install an update. Anyone know where I can find the earlier version?

When you say Earlier version , are you asking for Bitdefender 2009 ? or earlier download version of bitdefender 2010 ?

• The post was referring to an earlier version of BD 2010, namely 13.0.16.

13.0.16.xxx or lower

• Same Problem here.

Client is XP pro laptop and server is XP pro laptop.

Worked up until recently but has become unavailable.

I have added the dword to the registry with no luck. Will this addition be a problem later?

Please help us soon. I'm not comfortable uninstalling BDTS2010 on the server machine.

• Alex Stanciu
    Options

Hello all,

This issue have been fixed . Please update your BitDefender, reboot your system and you should not encounter the same sittuation .

Thank you.

• Hello all,

This issue have been fixed . Please update your BitDefender, reboot your system and you should not encounter the same sittuation .

Thank you.

no it hasnt.... the problem still persists after the most recent update and now i get a BD has commited a critical error every time i try to update again.

after 5 days of that i got fed up with BD and uninstalled it. After installing a different AV program and the problem went away.

BD used to be a really good program.. used it for years.. but no more.

• no it hasnt.... the problem still persists after the most recent update and now i get a BD has commited a critical error every time i try to update again.

after 5 days of that i got fed up with BD and uninstalled it. After installing a different AV program and the problem went away.

BD used to be a really good program.. used it for years.. but no more.

I believe the update has actually worked it will prompt you to reboot also.

I am now switching user without issue .

Thank you team.

• I believe the update has actually worked it will prompt you to reboot also.

I am now switching user without issue .

Thank you team.

did that.. didnt work..

here is what i have done over the last several days..

uninstalled BD and reinstalled it updated it. still cant connect remotely. i get the same error. not enough storage...blah blah blahh...

then when i tried to update it again bd crashes with a fatal error. then bd wants to reboot.

restart the computer try to connect remotely (its a media file server with no monitor) same error..

remove bd reboot viola connected remotely..

reinstall bd but do not update connected remotely

update/reboot cant connect..

i decided to give bd another shot and this is my result..

so today i removed other av and verrified that all av reg keys and all traces of program from computer rebooted and reinstalled bd.

before i update i can connect remotely.

bd complains its out of date i let it update and wants to reboot.

anyone care to take a guess at what happened?

thats right... still cant connect.. not enough storage blah blah again... uninstalled bd for good.. went back to another av solution.

and this is on an XP sp3 system being connected remotely via hardwire and wifi lan from vista ultimate 64, W7 64 enterprise and w7 32 pro computers, and ps3.

• Alex Stanciu
    Alex Stanciu ✭✭
    edited November 2009
    Options

Hello porpoise hork,

We are sorry to hear that BitDefender did not work on your system as you expected. The issues that you described have been solved, so next time you install BitDefender you should not encounter the same update error message .

In case you will want to give BitDefender another chance, I have sent you an email with the installation steps. Do not hesitate to reply in case you encounter any types of issues.

Thank you.

• Appears to be working for me again too. A great deal of hassle though as I couldn't actually reinstall 2010 again as the previous 2010 un-install functionality leaves protected files and registry entry. Several attempts and reboots later, I eventually found "http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=15555" and these steps worked for me. Just as well, was beginning to think that this release should be renamed "1910".

• I should also add that despite the time consuming issues I've so far experienced with Bitdefender 2010 total security and the feeling that I'm almost paying to be involved in Beta testing, I would have to commend the technical support team who appear to respond in good time and provide workable solutions in this and other threads.

Good work folks!

• Alex Stanciu
    Options

Hello Sean W,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback to us. Since this sittuation have been fixed, I will close this topic. If this issue will reoccur, do not hesitate to send me a PM and I will reopen the thread .

Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.