Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Major Update Causes Bd Connection Problem

Options
13»

Comments

• Same old business here ... auto-updates and manual updates failing and succeeding randomly.

Signatures: 4487640

Engine version: 7.28861

• I sure can't figure out why it quit updating. After I un and reinstalled and blocked that major update it was working good and now all of a sudden this. I waited until around 5 p.m. and still no update since 2:19 this morning. I didn't get any errors but when the update box would come up it would have nothing in in except that major update. So anyway folks, I uninstalled it and went back to 2009. So far that is working fine but anymore I don't trust anything. I came so close to installing a new program because I did a lot of researching, but decided I really wasn't in the frame of mind right now to start with a new program and possibly new problems and all that. I'm so worn down from this deal. I can't believe that after a whole week they still haven't come out with any solutions for this.

• AndreiRC
    edited November 2009
    Options

Technical Support, please find a solution and quick. I spent like 40 minutes right now trying to push in the overnight update. This is getting very annoying and frustrating.

Signatures: 4519131

Engine version: 7.28869

• I see a few issues that appeared from the major update from last week have been fixed. Any news on this one, Alex?

• Alex,

I did see your message about the wsdns1.dll fix and I had gotten to do it before this big update that happened again. Now I see that there is a wsdns.dll.upd file in the C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Update service. What am I supposed to do now?

• Actually I have quite a few .upd files in that folder: bdutils.dll.upd, livesrv.exe.upd, npcomm.dll.upd.

• And vsserv.ex.upd in the main BD 2010 folder. Sorry for the triple post.

• Alex Stanciu
    Options

Hello AndreiRC,

We will send you a tool that should help you overcome this sittuation.

Thank you.

• Alex, just to add to the PM I sent you, the files are still in my Recycle Bin.

• What happens to the customers who don't have 13.0.16 as their installer? I would assume that BD would have that as their installer on their servers or something. I'm not going back to 13.0.15 and update to 13.0.16, because I had some issues with that particular update too when doing it.

Im now rolled back to build 13.0.15 ( BDIS)on vista x64bit hp sp2, working ok without all these major issues, apart from the having to manually update it,to keep the 'Bd 13.0.17 destroyer' off your comp,lol

• Alex, please see the last PM I sent you and ignore the other ones.

Regarding the wsdns1.dll approach that you had posted earlier, that approach seemed to be working quite well, hence I had gotten that big update earlier.

As I said in the PM, I managed to push the big update through, but it seems the update issue was not solved.

UPDATE:

So, the first two auto-updates worked. One manual update failed, three more succeeded though. I don't know what to think. I'll keep you posted on the situation.

• Ok, so the updates are still failing. I still have to push them in.

Let me know if I should try again with wsdns1.dll or not. Like I said above, that approach seemed to be working well.

• Alex Stanciu
    Alex Stanciu ✭✭
    edited November 2009
    Options

Hello all,

This sittuation have been fixed. Since you were not able to update BitDefender, in order to overcome this sittuation and download the fix that was released earlier, you will need to repair BitDefender. In order to do this please click on Start from Windows , choose All Programs and then choose BitDefender 2010 . Select Repair or Remove , choose Next when the new window will appear and then choose Repair. Reboot your computer when prompted and proceed with the repair process of BitDefender.

After thr repair process is complete, update your BitDefender, reboot your system one more time after the update is complete, and let us know if the same sittuation occurs after that.

Note: The repair process need be applied by the users that have disabled the BitDefender Firewall or have BitDefender Antivirus and have the "Could not connect" update error .

We are sorry for this inconvenience and we are looking forward to your replies.

Thank you.

• Alex,

If I manage to push the fix through, do I still need to do the whole Repair procedure?

• Alex Stanciu
    Options

Hello AndreiRC,

Please go to the next location : C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Update Service, right click on the "wsdns.dll" and choose Properties . Click on the Version tab and tell me what version do you see there. It should be 1.0.92.0 .

Thank you.

• The version isn't listed for the file in question.

• Alex Stanciu
    Options

Hello AndreiRC,

In this case, please perform the repair. It should not take more then 20 minutes .

Thank you.

• Quick question, Alex. Is version 1.0.92.0 the one for the wsdns.dll file after the fix?

• Alex Stanciu
    Options

Hello AndreiRC,

Yes, this is the version that fixed this update issue.

Thank you.

• L.o.D.
    Options

The repair option is greyed out for me with only the option to remove available.

• Alex Stanciu
    Options

Hello L.o.D.,

We have sent you the procedure that should help you overcome this sittuation and replace the file that will solve this update issue .

Thank you.

• Hello L.o.D.,

We have sent you the procedure that should help you overcome this sittuation and replace the file that will solve this update issue .

Thank you.

I have the same problem with that "Repair" deal that AndreiRC has. I get no option to repair. You sent him the procedure but since there have been so many with this "Can not connect" situation, why do you not either post that procedure here or write back to all the people who have this problem with this procedure, like me?

• Alex Stanciu
    Options

Hello Nikilet,

Here are the instructions that need to be followed in situations when the "Repair" option is grayed out :

1. Follow the next link : http://www.sendspace.com/file/y5pq2i and download the "wsdns.dll" file on your system.

2. Start your computer in Safe Mode .

- restart the computer;

- repeatedly press the "F8" key several times before Microsoft Windows begins

to load (you need to press "F8" until you will be displayed a text menu);

- select "SAFE MODE" in the text menu and press "Enter".

- wait while Windows loads in Safe Mode; this process ends with a confirmation

message; click "Yes" to acknowledge.

3. Browse to the next location : C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Update Service and copy here the file downloaded earlier. Choose "Yes" when you will be asked if you want to replace the file.

4. Reboot your computer normally then try to update BitDefender.

Thank you.

• The whole Repair procedure was quite an adventure, to put it mildly.

First, I got told that the vsserv.exe had not enough installation privileges. So I had go do it again, using "Run as administrator".

Then, when getting to the part about updating and on-demand scan after installation, the update failed and I was only provided with the option of clicking "Finish". The click prompted the on-demand scan to start, with out of date signatures. I had to stop it and try to push the update in. In the end I managed to do it, but there were already over 100 .upd files in the BD folders.

I had to restart in Safe Mode, delete the .upd files, then restart in Normal mode. The update was done without issues, however there was 1 unresolved issue. Because I had stopped that on-demand scan previously, now BD was telling me that 'last system scan that you have started has been aborted and it was not finished' or something like that.

I did a Quick System Scan, hoping that would solve the problem. It didn't. Then I had to start a Deep System Scan and, in the end of it, I restarted the computer and I finally saw that I was issue free.

So, as you can see, quite the adventure on Friday 13th.

But back to the topic ... the update issue seems to have been fixed. But I'll keep an eye on it throughout the day.

• I've been running BDAV 2010 since 30 Sep 09 without a hitch. Now today I get "An error occurred during the update (Could not parse).". So I did an uninstall using the BD uninstall tool, and re-installed BDAV 2010. Still get the same issue. Any idea what could have gone wrong? I'm working without a net here.

Leighton

• I've been running BDAV 2010 since 30 Sep 09 without a hitch. Now today I get "An error occurred during the update (Could not parse).". So I did an uninstall using the BD uninstall tool, and re-installed BDAV 2010. Still get the same issue. Any idea what could have gone wrong? I'm working without a net here.

Leighton

Addendum:

I did the replace wsdns.dll routine as well. Still no joy.

Leighton

• Alex,

I also had the repair option "greyed out". Performed the instructions you described to Nikilet: repair options still greyed out, so no change at all!

Earlier this week I had sent you a PM with a link to my supporttool log in it. Didn't receive an answer whatsoever. Now I get a halfbaked solution, that even when it works, apparently is a pain in the *** to perform.

Question is: in case of a reinstall or new install (I have a licence for 3 computers), do we have to go through the same ordeal each time? If so, you can immediately apply me for a refund!

In the meantime, none of the solutions have worked for me and I'm still waiting for a proper solution. In my PM I stated a deadline on which I expected to see a fully running bugless product.

I want to point out to you that this deadline still applies!

Yannis2701

• Alex,

Strike part of my last message. The updates seem to come trough. The "repair option" is still greyed out however. Why??

This whole procedure still leaves me with an uneasy feeling about the product. There are still a lot of bugs in it. And with all this fiddling until now, what did it do to the running product and what problem will we experience next?

BTW: why can't forummembers edit their own messages???

Yannis2701

• BTW: why can't forummembers edit their own messages???

Look here: Help

Editing Posts

Above any posts that you have made, you may see an 'Edit' button. Pressing this will allow you to edit the post that you had previously made.

When editing you may see an option to 'Add the 'Edit by' line in this post?'. If you tick this then it will show up in the posts that it has been edited and the time at which it was edited. If this option does not appear, then the edit by line will always be added to the post.

If you are unable to see the edit button displayed on each post that you have made, then the administrator may have prevented you from editing posts, or the time limit for editing may have expired.

Have a nice weekend,

lutz

• Hello all,

This sittuation have been fixed. Since you were not able to update BitDefender, in order to overcome this sittuation and download the fix that was released earlier, you will need to repair BitDefender. In order to do this please click on Start from Windows , choose All Programs and then choose BitDefender 2010 . Select Repair or Remove , choose Next when the new window will appear and then choose Repair. Reboot your computer when prompted and proceed with the repair process of BitDefender.

After thr repair process is complete, update your BitDefender, reboot your system one more time after the update is complete, and let us know if the same sittuation occurs after that.

Note: The repair process need be applied by the users that have disabled the BitDefender Firewall or have BitDefender Antivirus and have the "Could not connect" update error .

We are sorry for this inconvenience and we are looking forward to your replies.

Thank you.

Thank you, everything works perfectly again.. I had to uninstall BD though, because the repair didn't solve it

Keep up the good work ^_^

• Been almost 24 hours since I finished the repair process and the updates have worked without problems. Hopefully this will stay this way.

• Well i'm still using build 13,0,16,and manually updating,until i know for sure that everything is working as it should,maybe until they release a update so i don't have to mess around fixing the dam thing again,

• The update in question was released yesterday. I had to repair BD though to get it. Painful process. :(

• Addendum:

I did the replace wsdns.dll routine as well. Still no joy.

Leighton

I did the repair. It said all was well, but I still get the same message "An error occurred during the update (Could not parse)." That sounds like it might be an XML problem.

I don't feel comfortable not having a fully-functioning antivirus running.

I should also mention that it works fine on my PC, but not on my wife's PC. Mine is XP sp3 Home and hers is XP sp3 Pro (all Microsoft updates applied) Both PC's have BDAV 13.0.17.343 installed.

• I did the repair. It said all was well, but I still get the same message "An error occurred during the update (Could not parse)."

I don't feel comfortable not having a fully-functioning antivirus running.

I've uninstalled/re-installed BDAV 2010 at least five times on Sunday. I'm getting quite good at it. But the problem persists. "An error occurred during the update (Could not parse)." It seems there are four files it is looking for. See file at: http://www.sendspace.com/file/2pcdf2 for the trace file.

• The so called fix has been unsuccessful for me. I have had to uninstall/reinstall BDIS2010 5 times today. I don't intend to do it again until BD have released an official fix. So like davey I am on ver 13.0.16.313 and doing the manual update of signatures only. Whenever I update the product update I get back to where I was 2 weeks ago, yes it has taken 2 weeks for BD to fix this and many other issues. There is still no solution. I did not pay for BDIS to be a software tester. This is really not on. I am very disappointed in BD and their software!

• d1xlord
    edited November 2009
    Options

i cant turn off game mode just by right clicking on the BD icon!! I have to open BD, go to the game mode tab and then manually turn off the game mode.. why is this problem occurring? i am using BDIS 2010 and my version is 13.0.17

• I haveone similar problema. After an update in 13.Nov.2009 (wsdns.dll) my BD TS 2009 is NOT STARTING!!! Security Shield (vsserv.exe) is not starting. Why????

• I have BDTS 2010 running on Windows 7, and I admit I get the same issue where the update stays at 0% and then eventually a red circle appears etc. I do have a simple fix for it, though I imagine it would be a pain doing this every single time, and I can't get BD to do it automatically every time it wants to update. When I start my update it stays at 0%, but then when I go and disable the BD firewall completely, the update in process starts working! Same deal if I disable the firewall first and then run the update. Not to mention it also finishes properly and installs the updates, so I just turn my firewall back on and BD is happy until it wants to run another update (Which I let stay at the default 1hr). I don't particularly want to be disabling my firewall every time BD gets an error message about not being able to update. I just decided to post my message to see if it would help anyone else having the same dilemma or to help those trying to fix it. Thanks

• Alex Stanciu
    Options

Hello Jon88,

Please try the steps from the next post and let us know if the same issue occurs after that.

Thank you.

• I emailed the Technical support team. My error is that I am unable to update, receiving a "Could not connect" error. I was told to do the following procedure, see below, but once I updated in normal mode the same file was downloaded and now I receive the same error because the file (Wsdns.dll) is present.

1. Restart the computer in Safe Mode.

[How to restart in Safe Mode]

- Restart the computer (Windows Start button - Turn Off - Restart);

- Press the 'F8' key several times before Microsoft Windows begins to load; you need to press 'F8' until you will be displayed a text menu;

- Select 'SAFE MODE' in the text menu and press 'Enter'.

- Wait while Windows loads in Safe Mode; this process ends with a confirmation message; click 'OK' to acknowledge.

2. Browse to the C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Update Service folder.

3. Rename the 'Wsdns.dll' file to 'Wsdns.dl_';

5. Restart the computer in Normal mode;

6. Perform a BitDefender Update and check if the issue still occurs.

Maybe this will fix one of the other issuses but no luck for my error.

• For me it didnot worked either, but that was NO surprise,Why Not release a Version without Bugs ? ( ###### freezes over before that happens,I am afraid )

• I still receive this error. I have now formatted and reinstalled Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and installed Bit Defender 2010 Internet Secturity x64. No matter what fix I try get this error.

• Alex Stanciu
    Options

Hello kungfu and St31F,

St31F: One of my colleagues from the Technical Support department will reply today to the support ticket that you have with us .

kungfu : Since you still have the same issue, we have escalated this issue to the email . Please follow the instructions that we have sent you and reply back with the files that we need.

We are looking forward to your reply.

Thank you.

• markman34
    edited November 2009
    Options

Same problems here.

Update (auto) has not worked for some time.

Update will work if I disable the firewall.

I did not buy BDIS to be their software tester. It has been buggy and required attention since I paid for it. I will however do it if I am paid.

Where can I apply to receive my money back? Or perhaps submit an invoice for my services rendered?

FIX THE BLOODY SOFTWARE ALREADY! Please don't ask for me to fix it.

Waiting for a proper reply.

Mark

• Alex Stanciu
    Options

Hello markman34,

Please follow the steps described in this post and let us know what happens.

Thank you.

• Fida
    Options

Hello,

I have tried to follow all your recommended solutions for the update problem but with no avail ( the paste of live file, the repair, the firewall disable method and the reset of rules!!!!) what to do now?! Also I wanted to ask did you fix the messenger vulnerability issue? I still have it here.

Thanks,

Fida

• I haven't been on this forum for a very long time. I rolled back to v. 2009 and I guess that's when I quit posting or coming to read. For some reason I got an email from the forum because of a post that was made to a topic I had been subscribed to ages ago. I have no help to offer anyone. I am just so shocked that very serious matters are still going on with this 2010. I honestly thought things would probably have been pretty much resolved by now. I guess I was hoping that BitDefender tech support would pull this out for their customers, and I am very, very disappointed as it would appear that some age-old problems are still in evidence.

Good luck to all.

• Hello Fida and Nikilet,

@Fida:

We have sent you an e-mail with some steps you need to take in order to provide us with more information on this issue.

Please reply to my e-mail so that I may help you as soon as possible.

@Nikilet:

Regarding your post on this topic and the update issue it deals with, as you can see from November 30, 2009 there is only one post which refers to this update issue. Thank you for your support and interest in our forum.

Thank you.