Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender Slows Pc Shut Down Time

Options

Hello,

Just installed Bitdefender Internet Security 2010 last night and for the most part I've been satisfied. However, there is one problem (or I wouldn't be here :) ). Ever since I installed Bitdefender my computer takes forever to shut down or restart. It doesn't even begin to shut down (or restart) for a good minute. It's as though I haven't selected any shut down option at all. My computer just sits there like it doesn't know what to do. No hourglass, no nothing. I can still open and close programs and surf the net. Then all of a sudden about a minute later my pc will begin to shut down like normal. What gives? Is Bitdefender purging the paging file (which I have turned off) or something? Is there something I can disable to fix the problem? I've done my updates and completed a virus scan so it's not that.

Thx in advance.

Comments

• sirpaulieg@hotmail.com
    edited October 2009
    Options

Correction: I can't surf the net or open programs. But I can still browse files.

• Alex Stanciu
    Options

Hello paulie412,

In case you have Windows 7 or Windows Vista we recommend you to follow the steps bellow so that we can determine what exactly is causing this situation :

1. Click Start-> Control Panel and access Administrative Tools.

2. Open Event Viewer then access Applications and Service Logs -> Microsoft -> Windows ->Diagnostics-Performance .

3. Right click on "Operational" from the left side and choose "Save Event As" . Save the log with the .XML extension, upload it on :http://www.sendspace.com/ then post here the download link .

Thank you.

• Actually I have Windows XP Pro 32. Any steps I can take with that?

• Sm3K3R
    Sm3K3R ✭✭✭
    Options

paulie412 ,are you using some other security software along with BD ?

What have you used previously ?

Are you using a Creative sound card ?

Run a full deep scan for viruses.

• Thank You. Yes, I had CA Suite installed for a few days before I realized it sucked and I uninstalled it. That's the only virus scanner I've had installed since my last format. I also have Spybot S & D installed and Adaware 2008. I do have a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer and I've run a deep scan for viruses that only found 1 cookie. Thanks again.

• Thank You. Yes, I had CA Suite installed for a few days before I realized it sucked and I uninstalled it. That's the only virus scanner I've had installed since my last format. I also have Spybot S & D installed and Adaware 2008. I do have a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer and I've run a deep scan for viruses that only found 1 cookie. Thanks again.

Hi, paulie, from what you have said ,that you have spybot s & d installed, that in it's self should not represent a problem,unless it or any associated processes &services are running a the same time in particular the 'T' timer Part of it that i believe runs in the background,is known to cause conflicts with other sec apps so this is a possibility why Bitdefender

is causing the pc to hang/slow at shutdown,

I don't have spybot on my pc, but i use other spyware protection (paid) without probs,but occasionally it will hang,but i get a pop up box with the message "Bd switch service "is not responding" and gives the option to end task now,usually this will only occur if i have just been doing something that uses a lot of memory and hdd activity as it seems that either bd vsserv,bd agent ect are holding things in memory so it's not being freed as quickly as it should do so hence the pop up,

Shutdown on vista x64 sp2 hp, was slow using the latest build of bdis2010 (13.0.17) but since i rolled back to build 13.0.15 it's as it used to be once again

incidentally if after setting the services of s&d to manual so that none are running unless you do a manual scan with it,you still have the same problem, There is a link to the earlier build on these forums, and info in other post's what do to to keep that version from being auto updates via updates to the current build 13.0.17

and did you use their uninstall tool? c a uninstall tool ,log in link

• Hi, paulie, from what you have said ,that you have spybot s & d installed, that in it's self should not represent a problem,unless it or any associated processes &services are running a the same time in particular the 'T' timer Part of it that i believe runs in the background,is known to cause conflicts with other sec apps so this is a possibility why Bitdefender

is causing the pc to hang/slow at shutdown,

I don't have spybot on my pc, but i use other spyware protection (paid) without probs,but occasionally it will hang,but i get a pop up box with the message "Bd switch service "is not responding" and gives the option to end task now,usually this will only occur if i have just been doing something that uses a lot of memory and hdd activity as it seems that either bd vsserv,bd agent ect are holding things in memory so it's not being freed as quickly as it should do so hence the pop up,

Shutdown on vista x64 sp2 hp, was slow using the latest build of bdis2010 (13.0.17) but since i rolled back to build 13.0.15 it's as it used to be once again

incidentally if after setting the services of s&d to manual so that none are running unless you do a manual scan with it,you still have the same problem, There is a link to the earlier build on these forums, and info in other post's what do to to keep that version from being auto updates via updates to the current build 13.0.17

and did you use their uninstall tool? c a uninstall tool ,log in link

or maybe this is a better link :PUn-Install tools for several av products

• Sm3K3R
    Sm3K3R ✭✭✭
    edited November 2009
    Options

paulie412 ,I ve asked you about the sound card because there was an issue with the latest X-FI Creative driver ,in which it would add 30 sec to 5 minutes to the restart/shutdown time.The problem is exposed on the Creative forums ,dont know if its fixed though.You d better use Daniel K s Support Packs (version 2.0) with the sound card.

Second ,Spybot should be used as scanner on demand only ,BD real time scanner is enough and usually detects what Spybot knows.

3-rd ,you should use an uninstall tool for the CA ,which last time i ve tryed it was crappy ,laggy like ###### (my personal opinion) and hard to remove.

• Thx guys for your replies.

Davey, I uninstalled CA Suite using the links you provided (glad to get the rest of that junk off my pc :D). I also uninstalled Spybot even though I don't think I installed the T-Timer. Neither fixed the problem.

Sm3K3R, I uninstalled the Creative Auto Update. That didn't work so I uninstalled the Creative software (which didn't work either). Finally, I uninstalled the Creative drivers through the Device Manager and BAM, success! I haven't installed any new drivers yet but I'll try some older versions or Daniel K's.

Thanks again guys!

• Btw Sm3K3R, Tool rocks! Seen em 5x live and they're great. Wish I'd have seen em on they're Aenima tour but oh well.

• Sm3K3R
    Sm3K3R ✭✭✭
    edited November 2009
    Options

This is the link with the delay issue ,huge thread isnt it :) -> http://forums.creative.com/t5/Sound-Blaste...own/td-p/530368

And here is the thread with the drivers that work all over Microsoft OS -s ,including W7 64 bit -> http://forums.creative.com/t5/Sound-Blaste...009/td-p/527485

Enjoy your sound card and your PC B) .

Glad i could help you.