Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Firewall Problem

Options

Hi can anyone help?

I've just installed BD 2010 Total Security onto both my laptop running Vista and my pc with Windows 7.

Having done this I've now lost access to my wireless printer (an HP C7280) which worked fine prior to installation.

However, when the firewall is turned off it works ok!?

Incidentally I'm still waiting for further support on Ticket ID:200911131010165, but I really need to get this sorted asap - hence my post here!

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Hi can anyone help?

I've just installed BD 2010 Total Security onto both my laptop running Vista and my pc with Windows 7.

Having done this I've now lost access to my wireless printer (an HP C7280) which worked fine prior to installation.

Incidentally I'm still waiting for further support on Ticket ID:200911131010165, but I really need to get this sorted asap - hence my post here!

Many thanks in advance.

Ok I've managed to get the laptop to work by setting the Wireless Network Trust Level to Trusted Local.

Still cant get W7 to work!

Can anyone help?....Please!

• Can't you do the same thing on windows 7? Set the LAN to Trusted Local.

Or better, on the same tab with Network Configuration you have Zones. Click on the "+" and add your printer's IP. That should do it.

• Can't you do the same thing on windows 7? Set the LAN to Trusted Local.

Or better, on the same tab with Network Configuration you have Zones. Click on the "+" and add your printer's IP. That should do it.

I've tried that and its made no difference.

• Hi can anyone help?

Many thanks in advance.

See the firewall rules, you probably need to allow some applications/ports.

• See the firewall rules, you probably need to allow some applications/ports.

Ok so now I've completely uninstalled BD from W7 and I can now print without any problem at all.

Does anyone know which ports/applications I need to look for regarding an HP C7280 printer?

• Ok so now I've completely uninstalled BD from W7 and I can now print without any problem at all.

Does anyone know which ports/applications I need to look for regarding an HP C7280 printer?

Hi,

I don't exactly remember the applications and ports but (for now) try to enable all actions (allow) of spoolsv.exe (in Firewall).

Or, try to disable Firewall and see what's happening. The print should work.

Once, I had same problem because of some firewall policies.

Cheers!

• Hi,

I don't exactly remember the applications and ports but (for now) try to enable all actions (allow) of spoolsv.exe (in Firewall).

Or, try to disable Firewall and see what's happening. The print should work.

Once, I had same problem because of some firewall policies.

Cheers!

Hi Ghe,

As it happens purely by chance I got it to work!

In the firewall settings under network it shows you 2 sections - network configuration and adapter/zones areas.

In the adapter/zones section it showed Local Area Connection 2 and Wireless Network Connection.

Now beforehand I was adding the printers ip address to the Wireless Network Connection to be allowed and this is where it failed.

Then just for the heck of it, I thought I'd try adding the printers ip address to the Local Area Connection and bingo it worked!

But I dont understand why this should be?

As I'm printing wirelessly, surely the printers ip address should be allowed under the Wireless Network Connection?

I hope this makes sense and does this leave me vulnerable?

• Hi Ghe,

As it happens purely by chance I got it to work!

In the firewall settings under network it shows you 2 sections - network configuration and adapter/zones areas.

In the adapter/zones section it showed Local Area Connection 2 and Wireless Network Connection.

Now beforehand I was adding the printers ip address to the Wireless Network Connection to be allowed and this is where it failed.

Then just for the heck of it, I thought I'd try adding the printers ip address to the Local Area Connection and bingo it worked!

But I dont understand why this should be?

As I'm printing wirelessly, surely the printers ip address should be allowed under the Wireless Network Connection?

I hope this makes sense and does this leave me vulnerable?

Hi Flyman,

I'm not very sure if this is how your problem should be solved. It's not totally recommended to make several changes in these areas because you can become vulnerable. I leave this to a competent customer care.

But, as I told, I had similar problem with network printer. In pictures attached below I had represented how I changed settings to succeed printing. As you can see under Firewall tab there is Rules section which is responsible for incoming/outgoing traffic.

As you can these rules are considered system rules and it's not recommended to change but if it's a problem then these changes are typically provided by an update.

These settings will affect only a single application/process and not all access for an adapter.

You can Allow (temporarily) denied rules for spoolsv.exe to give access printing services to communicate through network.

If there are more than the one denied rules (last entry for spoolsv.exe) then you can allow this. Else try to allow the last entry as seen in picture. With double click on denied rule advanced window for this rule is opened and you can change the value to Allow.

If you can post a image with your settings, it would be great because it will help identifying the rule that blocks printing.

I hope you will succeed.

Thanks!

post-17225-1258482381_thumb.png

post-17225-1258482408_thumb.png

post-17225-1258482416_thumb.png

post-17225-1258482422_thumb.png

post-17225-1258483450_thumb.png