Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

What is bdpredir.dll

Options

Hello,

Is someone able to say me what is bdpredir.dll, I think it's the library for the bitdefender proxy ?

Am I right ?

Eldk

Comments

• eldk
    edited April 2007
    Options

I think there is some problem with the last patch : when asking a web page, the uc use is increase fast to 100% and I have to wait at least 10 seconds before a page is usable.

I've chat with support :

action : rename bdpredir.dll to old and reboot : navigation is fine but I don't know if the antivirus is active :auto update of bd : a new bdpredir.dll is present in bd folder : and the problem come back.

I've try to uninstall properly bd with bd tools. Reinstall and it's work. But as soon as the patch is back, slowness and uc use are back. It's time expensive as I work all the day on internet.

My config : HP nw8240 with XP pro SPE - Centrino 2,1 Ghz - 1024 Mo Ram. IE7 - Windows up to date.

Is there someone who is looking for a solution ?

Eric

• Niels
    Options

Hi eldk

The file you mentioned is related to BitDefender Proxy Redirector Interface. I don't have any problems with it. Sometimes when http-traffic scanning is enabled your internet speed could slow down. To solve that open BD go to antivirus,shield,adjusted level and uncheck http-traffic scanning and confirm by pressing on ok. That library is only essential if you are behind a proxy to receive the updates otherwise it will not affect BitDefender.

Regards

Niels

• eldk
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Hi eldk

The file you mentioned is related to BitDefender Proxy Redirector Interface. I don't have any problems with it. Sometimes when http-traffic scanning is enabled your internet speed could slow down. To solve that open BD go to antivirus,shield,adjusted level and uncheck http-traffic scanning and confirm by pressing on ok. That library is only essential if you are behind a proxy to receive the updates otherwise it will not affect BitDefender.

Regards

Niels

Hi,

The http-traffic scanning is disabled. Level is to default.

I wasn't able to update java too with bitdefender on. I rename bdpredir.dll to old again. reboot, and the update was ok.

I do this because I suspect something with java : when there is some javascript on a page : it's always very long to load.

My sone has the same bitdefender version on a less recent PC and no problem.

Have you and Idea : if I disabled all bitdefender 10 + options, it's as long as before.

last thursday, when the update come, I try to clean the hard drive : deactivate cache, system restore, reboot and defrag. But nothing good, except when I rename bdpredir.dll and reboot.

Before this update, it was perfect and I use bitdefender since 4 years.

I'm not behind a proxy.

Thanks,

Eric

• Niels
    Options

Hi eldk

Did you made a rule in the firewall to allow java? To do that open BD go to firewall and make a new rule. Have you enabled the option scriptcontrol? If so then that will be the reason why javascript or java takes a little bit longer to load. That also depends of your browser security settings. Go also to update , settings and take a look that the option use a proxy isn't enabled. I also have no problems with that file. But as I said before that isn't a necessary file because you don't use a proxy to receive updates.

Regards

Niels

• eldk
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Did you made a rule in the firewall to allow java?

Yes, I have three rules :

- java update checker

- java 2 platform Standard edition binary

- jre-6u1-windows-i586 ....exe

and windows installer

Both are TCP/UDP both Permit

Have you enabled the option scriptcontrol?
    No, disabled

I've disabled firewall, antispam and antispyware.

The antivirus is on default.

That also depends of your browser security settings. Go also to update , settings and take a look that the option use a proxy isn't enabled.

No proxy for IE and bitdefender, All option are to default for the IE.

Thank you for your help

• Hello,

I have the same problem here. On 3 differents computer, all running XP-SP2 with BitDefender. If I rename the dbpredir.dll and restart the BitDefender Virus Shield service, I don't have the problem anymore. You can reproduce the problem easy, just go to www.ncix.com and try to add an item to your shopping cart IT WON'T WORK. If I stop the service (or rename the dll) it is working. This was ok before april 10th. I ordered something last week!!!

We need a fix ASAP!

Thanks.

• eldk
    Options
    Hello,

I have the same problem here. On 3 differents computer, all running XP-SP2 with BitDefender. If I rename the dbpredir.dll and restart the BitDefender Virus Shield service, I don't have the problem anymore. You can reproduce the problem easy, just go to www.ncix.com and try to add an item to your shopping cart IT WON'T WORK. If I stop the service (or rename the dll) it is working. This was ok before april 10th. I ordered something last week!!!

We need a fix ASAP!

Thanks.

Happy to see I'm not the only one.

I uninstall bitdefender a new time (properly : uninstall: reboot: use bitdefender_uninstall.exe:reboot).

I use the taskmanager to see the ressource used, and now when I load a page with ie7 (always the same), it's about 50% max for uc and 294 mo for memory versus 100% for 5 to ten seconds for uc and 480 mo with bitdefender activate.

I think there something wrong which make BD use a lot of ressource.

What have you tryed ?

Eric

• Hi,

I haven't tried a lot a thing but with the site (www.ncix.com) i cannot add an item to my basket. It will take 5 minutes and iexplorer will respond with a not found page. It is different then your problem, it is not slow, it is for the infinit.... After I renamed the dll, I found that my internet browsing is a lot faster. Before I was thinking that; a lot of traffic on the net today! but WOW now it is fast... so it's that dll.

I don't have any proxy and ****** control enable. Plain default.

On another pc (familly room) without bitdefender I found that the site (ncix) was working. This is how I found that there is something wrong with mine. I check with 2 others with BitDefender and same thing happend on them, not working...

Also I have a program newsbin, and it stop working on port 80 2 days ago. It was working for more than 10 months previously. The same trick (rename dll) resume it.

any help from bitdefender team???????

• Niels
    Options

Hi mpelletier

I tried reaching the website you mentionned but when I tried to add something to a basket I received an error message can't find server and the page loaded directly after a few seconds in IE. I tried it to reach the website also in FireFox the same result. So it must be website related. Otherwise I must be able to view it in FF. Strange that on other pc's you can add something to the basket.

Hi eldk

Try to run IE 7 without add-ons. That could reduce the usage of iexplore.exe in task management. Rightclick on the icon of IE.

Sorry but more I can't do. You all have to wait till someone of BitDefender posts a reply.

• eldk
    Options
    Hi mpelletier

I tried reaching the website you mentionned but when I tried to add something to a basket I received an error message can't find server and the page loaded directly after a few seconds in IE. I tried it to reach the website also in FireFox the same result. So it must be website related. Otherwise I must be able to view it in FF. Strange that on other pc's you can add something to the basket.

Hi eldk

Try to run IE 7 without add-ons. That could reduce the usage of iexplore.exe in task management. Rightclick on the icon of IE.

Sorry but more I can't do. You all have to wait till someone of BitDefender posts a reply.

Thank you for your help,

I've done this too. Trying to get the less "artefact". But nothing change.

I will wait to see : a lot of my customers use bitdefender. So wait and see.

Regards,

Eric

• I tried reaching the website you mentionned but when I tried to add something to a basket I received an error message can't find server and the page loaded directly after a few seconds in IE. I tried it to reach the website also in FireFox the same result. So it must be website related. Otherwise I must be able to view it in FF. Strange that on other pc's you can add something to the basket.

It is not website related. I have 2 pc, connect to the same dlink router and I access the website with both pc on the sametime BUT on 1 pc, if BD Virus Shield Service is running, I cannot add an item to the basket. On the other pc I can.... I also did the check at my work office where BD is installed on almost all pc but not all and the same thing happend. On those pc with BD that's a no go but on others it's fine. SO for sure it is not a website problem. Also my newsbin program at home stop working on port 80 with THAT UPDATE!!! The port is open on the firewall as it was since 10 months but now it not working anymore with BD. I have to stop the service and/or rename the dll to get the things working...

Also, after renaming the dll, my internet browsing IS MUCH MUCH MUCH faster than it was before... the bdpredir.dll has something bad for sure!

Still no answer from BD team.... WAITING for something from them...

• This sounds ALOT like the problem Im having ( http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=88 ) and Im eager to try renaming the library to see if this works...

Ummm.. BD support team, WHERE are you????? Some help please???

• carmen
    Options

Hello all,

Please send an e-mail with the description of the problem including the OS version and the BD version (IS, AV Plus or AV) to support@bitdefender.com. The BD support team will contact you to gather all the info required to track and solve this issue.

Thanks,

Carmen.

• Ok.. so I RENAMED the file to bdpredir.OLD and re-booted; internet connection STILL ######! Went back to make sure the correct file was renamed and I see BD just created a new one???? Hmmm... maybe it downloaded another copy of the DLL file with autoupdate thats set to run every day at 3am???

Funny thing.. it ONLY affects webpages, accessing NEWSGROUPS seems UNAFFECTED; so I guess its the http protocol or something to do with browsers????

• alexcrist
    Options

@Hercules:

As you might know, BitDefender products have the possibility to fix themselves. Once you renamed that file, BitDefender noticed that it was missing and re-downloaded it. To use this fix you have to disable Auto-Updateing and use Manual Updateing. When you make an update be sure to select only Virus Signatures update and skip Product Update.

Be careful, because this "solution" might have a negative impact on your security!

autoupdate thats set to run every day at 3am???

AutoUpdate can't be set to search for updates at a specific hour of the day. It can search for updates once X hours. That mean that, if you typed 3 in the Verify every X hours, BitDefender will search for updates once at 3 hours, not at 3 AM.

• CONFIRMED AND PROBLEM FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I renamed the file to bdpredir.OLD and TURNED OFF update, and rebooted...

PROBLEM 100% solved..... I mean 100 ONE HUNDRED percent solved!!!!

My internet connection is SMOKING fast once again!!!!

Now Im annoyed!!! Spent a whole week updating NIC card drivers, Router firmware, downloading/installing numerous software packages to search for Adware&corrupt registry settings, playing with settings, testing cables, installed NEW NIC card, Uninstalled Windows updates and it was JUST this file screwing my system up?????

Im not bitter or ready to run to Norton's, Im just happy this problems is SOLVED

OK.... BD support, can you at least tell me WHAT this file is, HOW will it affect my PC now and theres a fix in the works... RIGHT?!?!?!?

• alexcrist
    Options

Calm down!

As I said before, every software on the face of this planet has bugs. Even the human body has bugs :P

Now seriously, this really is a problem, but you have to chill, because it will be solved. The BitDefender team just has to figure out what is wrong and why this problem only affected some PCs and not all.

By the way, this problem is not fixed! This is just a temporar fix that, as I said, could have a negative impact on your security.

So, instead of getting angry, you should help BitDefender fix this problem as soon as possible, by supplying any information that you think might help.

Since this is a firewall problem, I could suggest you (and everyone else who has this problem) to give some details on what type of connection you have: network card, if you are behind a router (what router), if your ISP uses a proxy server, and other stuff like this.

• Sorry!

Im not "angry", Im just annoyed at all the time I put into this... I replaced 50' of Cat5 cable thinking it may be a short in the cable, bought and installed a new NIC card and 2 software suites that promised to fine tune my system, defraged hardrive 3 times, I uninstalled windows updates, updated firmware and drivers for almost EVERYTHING...

Im not angry... in fact Im happy my problem is over, even if its a temporary fix...

What would make me happier is if I hear BD is aware and working on the problem.

BD needs help???

Hope this helps....

The problems seems to be limited to XP systems!!! As a test to SEE if it really was BD that was the problem, I installed it on my other PC which runs 2000 Professional and ran all updates... NO PROBLEMS on the 2000 system.

Yeah, I agree with you.. every piece of software seems to have its share of bugs.

I use RoadRunner, I dont know if they use a proxy server.

My NIC card is an onboard Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet card in an IBM ThinkCentre

My router is a linksys Etherfast series router...

• alexcrist
    Options
    I use RoadRunner, I dont know if they use a proxy server.

Did you ISP give you some special settings to use with your programs? Look in your browser's settings to see if there are any proxy settings.

For Internet Explorer:

Tools -> Internet options... -> Connections -> LAN Settings... -> Proxy server

For Firefox:

Tools -> Options -> Connection parameters (this is for Firefox 1.5.0.11; I don't have Firefox2, so I don't know the exact settings, but it should be something similar).

If there are not proxy settings there, try to ask you ISP if it uses a proxy server because, as I understood in this thread, the faulty file is related to proxy scanning.

• Ok... based on the settings for IE (couldnt figure them out for FireFox) Im not using a proxy server... I dont recall ever needing any special settings from RoadRunner.... SO Im fairly confident Im NOT using a proxy server...

I think BD should focus on why it only affects XP systems and not 2000 Professional.... Thats GOT to be a clue!

• alexcrist
    alexcrist
    edited April 2007
    Options

It does not affect ALL Windows XP systems. I use WinXP and don't have this problem.

Also, even if you don't have special settings, you ISP might use a proxy server. I don't know, I'm just giving you some suggestions, maybe you get some idea what could be wrong ;)

• Just thought it strange that it affected my XP system and not the 2000 professional system..

What version of XP are you running????

Im running the home edition version 5.1 build 2600 with service pack 2; came preinstalled on my system.

In any case, Ive checked out some other software I use for newsgroup access and none of them have proxy settings in them, Im confident I dont use a proxy server...

Maybe the version of XP has something to do with it?

Im just trying to help fix this problem...

• alexcrist
    Options

Maybe Windows XP really has something to do with it (if you say that on Win200 it works fine), but it's not 100% it's fault.

I have Win XP Pro, SP2, last updated in January 2007 with AutoPatcher.

• alexcrist
    alexcrist
    edited April 2007
    Options

For everyone that applied the "bdpredir.dll rename" solution: make a test to see if your BitDefender still finds viruses when you download one. That solution might just be am open door for viruses.

Try to download the following files. They are not real viruses. They're just Antivirus-test-files.

You can read details about the EICAR Antivirus Test HERE

http://www.eicar.org/download/eicar.com

http://www.eicar.org/download/eicar.com.txt

http://www.eicar.org/download/eicar_com.zip

http://www.eicar.org/download/eicarcom2.zip

BitDefender should block all of these files right when you click the link. Try to download these files with and without the Scan HTTP traffic option enabled.

If BitDefender fails on one (or more) test(s), the you have a "hole" in security, and you'll have to be extremely careful what sites you visit, until this problem will be fixed.

• For everyone that applied the "bdpredir.dll rename" solution: make a test to see if your BitDefender still finds viruses when you download one. That solution might just be am open door for viruses.

Try to download the following files. They are not real viruses. They're just Antivirus-test-files.

You can read details about the EICAR Antivirus Test HERE

http://www.eicar.org/download/eicar.com

http://www.eicar.org/download/eicar.com.txt

http://www.eicar.org/download/eicar_com.zip

http://www.eicar.org/download/eicarcom2.zip

BitDefender should block all of these files right when you click the link. Try to download these files with and without the Scan HTTP traffic option enabled.

If BitDefender fails on one (or more) test(s), the you have a "hole" in security, and you'll have to be extremely careful what sites you visit, until this problem will be fixed.

Hi,

I CONFIRM that BitDenfer still finds virus even if that dll is renamed. I try with the links you provided and BD Popup screen appeared saying about the virus....

Thanks and still waiting got a fix from BitDender team...

Mike

• alexcrist
    Options

I'm glad to hear that it's still working :)

• Forum members,

I have had massive problems with the April 10 upgrade of v10. I went through hours of many of the same steps as you all have. In my case, the issue was a conflict with my ZoneAlarm firewall. Turning off the ZoneAlarm privacy features (cookie, header, web bug, and ad blocking) would help considerably, but the only true fix was to turn off the firewall altogether.

I tried the rename the bdpredir.dll fix, and everything now works fine. I DO NOT know if I have compromised BitDefender antivirus program in any way!!

I would suspect the proxy file conflicts with various firewall products.

I also look forward to BitDefender coming out with a definitive fix soon, or at least certifying the dll rename workaround. When I spoke with BD customer service, who suggested the rename workaround, they said the fename DID NOT compromise their product.

I have WinXP SP2, all updates, CA antispyware, and ZoneAlarm. Had all previously worked well for years.

• I spoke again with tech support, and they said the "rename bdpredir.lll" workaround is safe and the recommended temporary fix to the problems with the April 10 update. He said it was officially approved.

I tried the eicar.com tests as well, and my computer did well.

Notably, due to the self-repair functions of BitDefender, you have to apply the workaround after every update!!

I look forward to a permanent fix soon.

• andybing
    edited April 2007
    Options

It's a bit off topic. Have anyone tried to re-install bitdefender with the latest setup file? any "PSAPi.dll" error after a reboot?

• PDUB
    Options

Dear All,

I am deeply interested in your conversation, despite the fact that I am not technical guy, and it is my first experience in a Forum.

I work with Windows XP-Pack 2.

I have recently installed a Belkin Wireless Notebook card.

I am using a Linksys router (with encryption key 128)

I use Secretmaker and BitDefender.

In order to have access to web (and enjoy a real high speed connection), I am obliged to desable the Firewall from BD (IF I succeed in having access, it is after few long minutes).

For some web sites, I am also obliged to desable the antispyware.

So, despite the fact that I am wondering if I am still protected, I would also like to know if the bug has been confirmed by BD and if they are working on ?

Many thanks for your help.

PDUD

• alexcrist
    Options

@BDuser99:

Notably, due to the self-repair functions of BitDefender, you have to apply the workaround after every update!!

Instead of applying the workaround after every update, try this:

As you might know, BitDefender products have the possibility to fix themselves. Once you renamed that file, BitDefender noticed that it was missing and re-downloaded it. To use this fix you have to disable Auto-Updateing and use Manual Updateing. When you make an update be sure to select only Virus Signatures update and skip Product Update.

@PDUB:

So, despite the fact that I am wondering if I am still protected, I would also like to know if the bug has been confirmed by BD and if they are working on ?

This bug has been confirmed and BD Dev Team is working on it.

Look at post #14 in this thread. It was posted by a BitDefender Support Member (Carmen).

• YumCha
    Options

Citrix stopped working for me after installing the update. Renaming bdpredir.dll fixed the problem. I'm not looking for help on this since a fix is apparently in the works, but nothing showed up when I searched for Citrix so hopefully this post will be helpful to anyone else who has this problem.

How will we know when it is safe to turn on automatic updates?

• Niels
    Options

Normal when a major update is released for fixing problems then you will see it on their website or if they reply back here in this topic : http://kb.bitdefender.com/site/latestArticles/

• YumCha
    Options
    Normal when a major update is released for fixing problems then you will see it on their website or if they reply back here in this topic : http://kb.bitdefender.com/site/latestArticles/

That was fast! Thank you.

• Niels
    Options
    That was fast! Thank you.

That was gladly done. Hopefully Softwin will fix it very soon. But I am sure about it.

• alexcrist
    Options

Also, since this is an important problem that was discussed on this forum, I'm sure that there will be a post in this thread from BitDefender Support when the fix appears.

• Hi all,

Instead of renaming bdpredir.dll, rename bdpredir.sys. Same result but you can keep Automatic Update, this file is not download again.

Regards

• Renaming the .sys instead of the .dll work fine, BD update is now working thanks.

We still wait for the official fix from BD team.

Mike

• use this patch for those having problem with activesync!

http://kb.bitdefender.com/KB340-en--BitDef...ActiveSync.html

• garyinri
    edited May 2007
    Options
    use this patch for those having problem with activesync!

http://kb.bitdefender.com/KB340-en--BitDef...ActiveSync.html

Since this page, and therefore the associated patch, no longer exists on the BitDefender site, is it safe to assume that this patch was incorporated into the latest set of updates?

• Niels
    Options

Hi garyinri

I suppose that it must be the case. Because I can't think of another explanation why they removed that article.

Regards

Niels