Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Internet Goes Blank

Options

Comments

• sportsguy8
    edited November 2009
    Options

Christ, for a whole week I was losing my mind with this problem ... Didn't think BitDefender was causing the problem, as nothing changed if I disabled it ...

Well, after some advice, I uninstalled it tonite, and surprise surprise, immediately problems vanished, ARGH!

This is really annoying. Especially as it's not the first serious BD problem in the past few months.

Also, I can see this thread started a week ago, and still the issue isn't solved? Props, really ... :rolleyes:

I wonder how many other people have the same problem, and have no idea BD is the thing causing them ...

Edit: Btw., thanks, davey, I used your temporary solution, hope it works for a while, during which time I'll have to think hard about alternatives ...

• Same problem with me. It works fine until I download RS files with Orbit Downloader, then all HTTP pages go blank. Interestingly, HTTPS work fine - maybe a problem with port 80?

• Same problem with me. It works fine until I download RS files with Orbit Downloader, then all HTTP pages go blank. Interestingly, HTTPS work fine - maybe a problem with port 80?

Yep.... dude... I called my ISP and almost canceled my service accusing them of throttling my broadband connection to RS. And all the time on the phone, the poor customer service lady was saying "Sir I see NO problem on your account from our end".... I feel like a jerk right now... :(

• Misterboy
    edited December 2009
    Options

I just wanted to comment that I'm getting the same problems with random disconnection from the internet. It is an intermittent problem.

I run Windows 7 64bit and Bit Defender Internet Security 2010.

The Windows Event viewer reports DNS problems. It appears as though Bitdefender is getting in the way of my router talking to the DNS server.

Also, I can't run uTorrent or other "server" software either, because "Stealth Mode" doesn't respect my port forwarding. I have to disable Stealth Mode for it to work.

I am NOT happy with Bitdefender at all right now. I hope they're working on these problems.

• Same problem here. All browsers (FF, IE, Safari) about 2 weeks now. Please get a fix out ASAP. There are countless other people out there who don't even know that it is BD causing this and don't have the ability to track down or apply a bunch of tricky fixes.

The fix just needs to be put in an update for the simpletons like me.

Please post that you guys are at least working on this. This will be the second time a major pita has to be fixed by the consumers due diligence since I have had BD.

• I upgraded to 2010 to fix a problem with the BitDefender AntiPhishing toolbar crashing Mozilla, and now I'm having this blank browser problem.

When it happens, it affects both Firefox 3.5.5 and MSIE 7.0.

I'm running Windows XP SP3.

• Same problem here. All browsers (FF, IE, Safari) about 2 weeks now. Please get a fix out ASAP. There are countless other people out there who don't even know that it is BD causing this and don't have the ability to track down or apply a bunch of tricky fixes.

I am surprised that BD support does not take this more seriously. No recent update in this thread, only posts from people that finally tracked the issue down to BD 2010 - Just like I did after spending the best half of a weekend to hunt a nonexistent virus, router, internet provider, driver or general PC problem driving my whole family crazy. (More than one hour away from facebook is critical).

Finally, the following solution worked for me ;):

• Pay the bill from your credit card company ($29.95 for BD Antivirus 3PC/1Y)
    • Uninstall BitDefender 2010
    • Go to http://tinyurl.com/yewgwqn
    • Install suggested fix
    • Check your BitDefender account regularly to see the "xxx days left" count down to zero
    • Visit this forum for any updates, or just for the fun of it
    • Give BitDefender another try when the problem has been corrected
    I really enjoyed my two years with the 2008 version, and believe that the 2010 functionality must be great - when it works.
  • I am surprised that BD support does not take this more seriously. No recent update in this thread, only posts from people that finally tracked the issue down to BD 2010 - Just like I did after spending the best half of a weekend to hunt a nonexistent virus, router, internet provider, driver or general PC problem driving my whole family crazy. (More than one hour away from facebook is critical).

Finally, the following solution worked for me ;):

• Pay the bill from your credit card company ($29.95 for BD Antivirus 3PC/1Y)
    • Uninstall BitDefender 2010
    • Go to http://tinyurl.com/yewgwqn
    • Install suggested fix
    • Check your BitDefender account regularly to see the "xxx days left" count down to zero
    • Visit this forum for any updates, or just for the fun of it
    • Give BitDefender another try when the problem has been corrected
    I really enjoyed my two years with the 2008 version, and believe that the 2010 functionality must be great - when it works.

That's pretty close to my experience. Paid for my 3pc/2yr BD 2009. Worked great for two weeks. Then had many serious issues with BD 2009 that went unresolved (tried many different solutions ... spanning a couple of months ... very frustrating). I uninstalled BD 2009. Installed another product, not BD 2010. I now keep my eyes on this forum to see if BD 2010 delivers as promised. When I think they got this thing working, I may give it a try on one of my pc's just to get some value for my BD purchase. I have just over 600 days left on my subscription. I refuse to be a beta tester. So I wait.

For those continuing the struggle with BD, good luck. They should be paying you for your work.

• I got this message from support:

Please open Bitdefender, click on 'Settings' and then switch UI (User

Interface) to: Expert Mode, click on OK, then go to the Antivirus module,

Shield tab, click on the Custom Level button, make sure the following itmes

are NOT checked:

- Scan http traffic

- Scan Yahoo Messenger traffic

- Scan Windows Live Messenger traffic

Click on the "OK" button in apply the changes.

"Scan HTTP Traffic" was unchecked. I unchecked the other two, though I don't use either of them. I'll post again if the problem recurs.

• kungfu
    edited November 2009
    Options
    That's pretty close to my experience. Paid for my 3pc/2yr BD 2009. Worked great for two weeks. Then had many serious issues with BD 2009 that went unresolved (tried many different solutions ... spanning a couple of months ... very frustrating). I uninstalled BD 2009. Installed another product, not BD 2010. I now keep my eyes on this forum to see if BD 2010 delivers as promised. When I think they got this thing working, I may give it a try on one of my pc's just to get some value for my BD purchase. I have just over 600 days left on my subscription. I refuse to be a beta tester. So I wait.

For those continuing the struggle with BD, good luck. They should be paying you for your work.

Thats exactly My experience also have a 3 Pc 2 Year subscription, havenot used 300 Days of it !

When I installed another well known AV I had NO problems , Only use Bdefender on 1 pc today to see if there any improvements

but its still the same NO replies from Support,still LOTS of Bugs and frustation ,youre right the customers are Paying Beta testers !

• but its still the same NO replies from Support,still LOTS of Bugs and frustation ,youre right the customers are Paying Beta testers !

I got a reply from support a few hours after filling out the support form:

http://www.bitdefender.com/site/Main/contactEmail/

• I got a reply from support a few hours after filling out the support form:

If the answer from support was the text in your previous post (#60), we have seen that before.

It may help for a while, but did not solve anything in my case. I wish you luck.

• BD--Please learn some basic customer service skills that will help alleviate po'd people. Check in. Say 'We are working hard on a solution', 'We haven't forgotten about you'. Do this DAILY until you get a proper update patch. That is all it really takes. In the mean time, send an e-mail to ALL registered users that you are aware of this problem and working diligently on a solution so they aren't just confused about their internet problem. This is not asking for much.

• I too am having this same problem, it's ridiculous. I had no other choice but to uninstall BitDefender & install something else.

• I'm also suffering from this problem.

It's unbelievable that BD doesn't communicate about this problem. This should be high priority or they loose credibility and customers.

I just uninstalled DB and installed a 30-day trial of another product.

If it doesn't get solved by then, I will inquire a complete refund.

• I too am having this same problem, it's ridiculous. I had no other choice but to uninstall BitDefender & install something else.

The total lack of communication is what is killing me. I can only assume that THEIR solution is to let us assume they don't care and we get another antivirus. It is such a simple thing to prevent.

• I experienced this problem twice this week too. BD, find a solution to this, ASAP!

• Im having the same issues except only when using p2p programs for about 10 minutes. After that my internet goes blank until I restart my pc. Even my World of warcraft installer halts after 10 minutes. I talked to bd on the phone and they will be getting back with me about my issue. Once I find out I'll let you all know.

• And to think, it was "this" close to starting a topic thanking BD for their hard work in fixing the problems that plagued everyone last month (i.e. I no longer have updating problems where I have to restart) and getting the problems solved.

NOW, I have to restart in order for my internet to work correctly a few times a week. It is always SOMETHING with BitDefender. What a disappointment this product has been. BD09 worked great and I'll keep using this program until the license runs out, but when it does, I'm jumping ship. This product hasn't 100% worked since I got it at the beginning of October. I'm (as well as everyone else) being treated like a beta tester by being asked to send them reports. My license should be extended...but then why would I want my computer protected by this shoddy product any longer?

• That didn't fix the problem, though it does seem to happen less often.

I got this message from support:

are NOT checked:

- Scan http traffic

"Scan HTTP Traffic" was unchecked. I unchecked the other two, though I don't use either of them. I'll post again if the problem recurs.

• Same problem for me. NEED RESPONSE & FIX FROM BD.

I have used BD Antivirus 2010 for a couple of months now, but only started noticing this problem for the past few weeks. I think it was caused in a recent update. Please see http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums...cf-d8319e78e506

for cross-reference of others experiencing this problem in another forum setting.

=System=

Vista64 Home Premium

BD Antivirus 2010

6GB RAM

Intel Core i7

• boothy99
    edited November 2009
    Options

All I can say is ,....... ''same here'' ....

Since the beginning of November, my internet browsers also load blank pages after a while on-line, which forces me to restart the computer. Each time I restart the computer I can browse again. I installed BD 2010 Internet security around this time, having used BD 2009 Internet security with none of these issues, previously.

The issue occurs on both my desktop - Win XP, and Laptop - Win Vista - both with BD 2010 installed at the same time.

This typically occurs after browsing media rich content (movies). Once the problem occurs, all web browsers demonstrate the exact same issue, using Firefox, IE 8, Safari.

Google shows it's front page but will not execute a search. The Google maps page displays a blank immediately.

Another issue which is occuring on my XP machine is that BD vsserve.exe appears to be having problems now. In Services, ''Bitdefender Virus Shield'' gets ''turned off repeatedly. I can manually turn it back on which appears to solve the issue, but is this associated with the recent issues? The BD tray icon becomes grayed out, and the information displayed on clicking the icon, suggests I need to reboot.

Come on BD team,.... let us know you're at least looking into the issue please, ..... pretty please ? ..... with brass knobs on ?? ... and bells too.

Thanks in advance .... I hope.

• The issue is in debate on the French forum as well. Some people are saying there that, over a certain amount of downloaded data, this blank-ness intervenes. This sounds rather plausible but perhaps this could help us do something about it, until BD fixes things?

Maybe we should clear the Temporary Internet Files (I'm not even sure if this has anything to do with it) when this blank-ness happens? Or maybe we should try and flush the DNS cache (someone did mention that there were DNS errors in the event log) when this is happening? Or something similar to this?

Just a few simple suggestions which don't require a computer reboot. Perhaps someone could test them and see what's happening.

• tierix
    edited November 2009
    Options

Yes, I think that's what happens for me, it's always after I download something for a while that internet surfing stops working.

I tried everything you mention though but still, doesn't work, but thanks for the ideas!

• Still happening. Still not a peep from BD.

• AndreiRC, no sense to do this. I already did that - made flushDNS, network diognastic, WinsockxpFix file, also netsh winsock reset, but without result. Problem is BD2010 November product update!!!

p.s for testing purposes I again put automatic latest updates, while also uncheck Scan http traffic, Scan Yahoo Messenger traffic and Scan Windows Live Messenger traffic. I can say that now already two/three days my network is working :rolleyes:

hmm...problem solved of unchecking those checkboxes...who knows! or just luck :mellow:

• boothy99
    edited November 2009
    Options

Hi,

I'd be interested to hear whether this works for you too?:

I just had the blank page fault occur (managed to force it to happen by watching lots of movie clips, one after the other). While I had a blank page showing, I opened Bitdefender (BD),.... which was in Expert mode....

Went to ... Antivirus / Shield / Custom Level (which WAS in Default mode), ..... and UN-ticked the ''Scan Yahoo Messenger Traffic''.

I then tried to reload the blank page, .... and it opened instantly !

Back to BD, .... Re-ticked the above for Yahoo, .... and re-loaded the page. Again, ... it went to a blank page. Un-ticked, .. and everything was fine. In fact, it seemed to load faster than before.

I pressed the ''Default'' level, then tried Un-ticking the ''Scan Windows Live Messenger Traffic'' ( with ''Scan Yahoo Messenger Traffic'' still Ticked). This had NO effect on reloading the blank page... it remained blank.

Seeing as I don't use Yahoo messenger anyways, .... I've left this option Un-ticked, and will see whether it's prevented blank pages from loading. Will let you know.

Would love to hear whether anyone else finds the same temporary cure to be effective, and whether it turns out that this was the problem all along? If it does work, it's a darn site safer than turning the Antivirus shield off all together (which also works, but leaves you wide open to invasion !).

• Interesting approach. I will be sure to try it.

But what happens with those that do use Yahoo Messenger? For example, I do use it. Not too often, but I do.

• probably if you use Yahoo messanger and will want to transfer files, BD won't scan this traffic until file will be on PC.

yes, I did the same, unchecked yahoo messenger, http traffic and windows messanger, and everything worked. ok, I'll try to uncheck just yahoo traffic and will see result.

• probably if you use Yahoo messanger and will want to transfer files, BD won't scan this traffic until file will be on PC.

Yes, I think that would be the case.

I don't transfer files on Yahoo Messenger anyway, so that's not too bad. In case I would want to do that, I could use different methods than the messenger, I suppose.

• Well, at least I'm not the only one with this problem. I've been harassing Microsoft about it since it occurred after I reinstalled Vista. I'll try reinstalling the older version, but if that doesn't work I won't be renewing my Bitdefender subscription either.

Max

• Alex Stanciu
    Options

Hello all,

We have developed a fix for this issue, but until it will be released through automatic update, we still need to perform some tests. I will add a post here, as soon as the fix will be available. Once again, we apologize for this unfortunate sittuation.

Thank you.

• Thanks for the news, Alex. That's good to know that you guys are on it.

• Thanks Alex,

In the future, try to keep people posted a bit more. At least every few days leave a post that says 'still working on it'. It may seem redundant, but it will save you customers.

Noah

• Just had a BD auto-update come up on my computer this morning. We'll see if this is the fix they were talking about in post #83.

• Just had a BD auto-update come up on my computer this morning. We'll see if this is the fix they were talking about in post #83.

Alex said he'll let us know when the fix comes in. They're still testing it.

• Hello all,

We have developed a fix for this issue, but until it will be released through automatic update, we still need to perform some tests. I will add a post here, as soon as the fix will be available. Once again, we apologize for this unfortunate sittuation.

Thank you.

For how Long will this go On ?, Untill the Paid License has expired ?

And to disable everything ,Yahoo Messenger,Windows Live Messenger Traffic,http trafic ? etc etc to make Bdefender even run ?, That doesnot sound that my pc is much protected.....

• While we're on the subject, can I ask what everyone else's Default Setting is for ''Scan Web (HTTP) Traffic'' in Antivirus / Shield / Default Level. Mine appears to be Un-ticked if using the Default Level settings. Everyone else's the same I hope, or should it be Ticked for Default?

More to the point, ... should I be enabling this anyways?

Cheers.

• boothy99
    edited November 2009
    Options

By the way, .... thanks for the update on the pending fix, Alex. Much appreciated.

I've got my hand up to volunteer as a tester :D .... just let me know.

• While we're on the subject, can I ask what everyone else's Default Setting is for ''Scan Web (HTTP) Traffic'' in Antivirus / Shield / Default Level. Mine appears to be Un-ticked if using the Default Level settings. Everyone else's the same I hope, or should it be Ticked for Default?

More to the point, ... should I be enabling this anyways?

Cheers.

Default is unticked, which is surprising really. I am using it ticked in order to have all websites scanned on access.

• Thanks for letting me know AndreiRC.

• aprilleon
    edited November 2009
    Options

I have the same problem with you guys. I just did a reformat for the 2nd time. The first reformat all those problems resurfaced within hours after installing bitdefender. My 2nd reformat I left out bitdefender and updated and installed/updated everything else. The Tech suppt admin should at least post someting here even if no immediate fix is available.

regards,

april

• He did post above that they have a fix but they're still testing it and they will release it via update when they finish testing. See post #83.

• I don't think we should be so easily placated. What has happened here is still completely unacceptable and a shining example of how everyone involved with BD sees us as glorified paying beta testers who they can serve ###### to and still expect loyalty. I'm glad I can get back the money I wasted on my subscription.

• I got this message from support:

are NOT checked:

- Scan http traffic

I have had the same problem. I just isolated it to the same issue Robert identified. I don't know why scanning Yahoo and messenger was blocking web pages, let alone doing it after a while, but this appears to have fixed my problem.

• Went to ... Antivirus / Shield / Custom Level (which WAS in Default mode), ..... and UN-ticked the ''Scan Yahoo Messenger Traffic''.

So far, so good, with just Yahoo Messenger option Un-ticked.

Tried forcing the blank pages for an hour or so, with no effect. Everything played .... even had a few movies playing at the same time with no problems.

Hope the real fix comes out soon.

• Got an email yesterday saying it may be 2 weeks before we see this issue resolved. At least we have some more details. See below for reference:

To: xx

CC: xx

Subject: Re: [Ticket ID: xxx] Integrated Support - xxx.zip

Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 15:35:13 +0200

The issue that you have reported has been acknowledged by our team and is

currently being worked on for a fix.

The fix will be done by means of automatic update (in about 2 weeks) and won't

require any additional action from your part.

Thank you for your support and patience.

Best regards,

Stefan Todirica

BitDefender Technical Support Engineer

• 2 weeks?

Oh well, it's better than no news. Thank you!

• gordian
    edited November 2009
    Options
  • 2 weeks?

Oh well, it's better than no news. Thank you!

Well, I am a french guy and there is the same kind of post on the french forum.

The french support guy just says 2 days ago that the problem was acknowledged by bitdefender and will be corrected.

But when I read 2 weeks to solve a problem that can be reproduced systematically. I would like to hear 2 days ...

I hope the developpers guy works days and nigths to solve this BUG.

Skolvan